Your headcanons

Jr is an extremely lonely individual who doesn't know how to make friends properly.

Ever since it was confirmed that the Koopalings aren't Bowser's children, I often think of Bowser being their "stepfather"; he's not related to them, but adopted them nonetheless.

MnSG said:
Ever since it was confirmed that the Koopalings aren't Bowser's children, I often think of Bowser being their "stepfather"; he's not related to them, but adopted them nonetheless.
I'm so glad, in this sense, that the UK page, the German page and, most importantly, the Italian page of SMB3 still report them as being offspring, not adopted.

You know I still go with the disinherited biological children headcanon.

Funnily enough, in the Italian version of Color Splash the "Bowser's minions" term was suppressed from the main lines of the story and when they explicitly refer to Bowser, they don't use the adjective "Master", they just call him Bowser. Only Morton uses the word "capo" (boss), not explicitly referred to Bowser. And, of course, even though the preview site called them "Bowser's minions", in the final game "Bowserotti" (Little Bowsers) is used instead, just like in the other games since Paper Jam. They even modified one line of the dialogue with Larry to use that term. I hope to have the game for Christmas so I can clarify this more (although I'm pretty sure that there won't be nothing interesting like what was seen in Paper Jam, more probably a translation oddity from Nintendo Italia, facilitated by them using the "Bowserotti" term instead of "Bowser's minions" even in games that weren't supposed to have it).

The Koopalings are Bowser's kids the same way Bowser is Kamek's son.

He's not their biological father, but he is raising them (with Kamek) to be powerful wizards. You could say he's their father, but he sees himself more as an instructor.

Where did these kids come from? He took them from the homes of other Koopa families (except Lemmy, he was given away voluntarily).

Magikrazy said:
The Koopalings are Bowser's kids the same way Bowser is Kamek's son.

He's not their biological father, but he is raising them (with Kamek) to be powerful wizards. You could say he's their father, but he sees himself more as an instructor.

Where did these kids come from? He took them from the homes of other Koopa families (except Lemmy, he was given away voluntarily).
I know that my opinion, even if supported by official text, is unpopular. From what I've seen in DeviantArt comments and "YouTube theories" videos, the "adopted children" theory is more popular among fans of the Koopalings!

Simply put, when I grew up, it was obvious that Kamek wasn't Bowser's father (yes, we played Yoshi's Island, I remember when I was talking to my friend saying that it was out and soon after he bought it!) and that the Koopalings were Bowser's children (we were told that so clearly at the time, remember that there was quite some Mario related material at the time, even though I skipped most of it as we were mostly into the games...), but honestly, very few people of my age care about this topic (which is very good after all, as at this point there should be more important priorities!), and all the people from the N64 era onward have no reason to bother about it.
Ironically, though, in a graduation party of a friend slightly older than me a crossword puzzle was made, and one of the question was "How many children does Bowser have in Super Mario Bros. 3?"; no need to tell that some of the friends of mine there, when we played Mario Kart 8 together, immediately recognized the Koopalings, while there were some problems with Rosalina...

Just know that I'll always be highly unpopular, repetitive and quite stubborn on the matter - sorry for that, by the way. I also know that I might "lose" in the end, I probably already lost, but who cares at this point? I feel like the maintainers of those European SMB3 pages (who are probably the same ones of the SMA4 pages, judging from what happened with their last update) who stubbornly keep "offspring" with every page update even if few people support this view, and surely nobody from NCL. Surprising that those people are still there, if they haven't been replaced already...

P.S.: as soon as I'll have the money I think I'll buy the Shogakukan guides of SMW and Super Mario All-Stars (1993 edition of the latter if I can) to have a better look at how the Koopalings were depicted at the time in Japan - a recent rediscovery showed that SMB3 wasn't the only game having material that considered them Bowser's children, and I'm intrigued to know if this is an exception - likely - or not. After all, a bowling ball in the face is more spectacular than just a slap, if anything there will be that awesome comic in English complete with Mario swearing (SMW guide) and that caption in the image of the redesign of Bowser that happened to have four Koopalings (Super Mario All-Stars guide).

What do you mean you "already lost"? It's your headcanon, man. If you want to believe it, believe it. It doesn't have to match up exactly with what Miyamoto says or thinks.

Magikrazy said:
What do you mean you "already lost"? It's your headcanon, man. If you want to believe it, believe it. It doesn't have to match up exactly with what Miyamoto says or thinks.
I was not referring to my headcanon.
I was rather referring to this official depiction of the Koopalings as Bowser's offspring instead of adopted children, that still survives in the European sites agaisnt all odds. Since not even a good part of the fanbase nor NCL support this depiction anymore, I see slim chances of it staying, unless of course it's actually supported by official depictions made at the time by NCL themselves, which is something I would be curious to know - I'd be really intrigued to know more about how the Koopalings were conceived and designed beside that "they were based on SMB3 staff", especially after seeing that picture of Bowser's redesign that is attributed to Super Mario Bros. 2 (Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels here) and thus might move the Koopalings introduction to 1986, possibly even earlier, instead of 1988.

It's pretty easy to ignore what Miyamoto says about the Koopalings because it can apply either way. If he didn't say anything, the story wouldn't have changed much. The thought of the Koopalings being Bowser's children is firmly entrenched in many people's minds that it's kind of hard to let go of that. My headcanon ignores Miyamoto, simple. It also makes up a bunch of crazy things the official Mario would likely contradict, such as Mario really disliking Donkey Kong and Wario.

LeftyGreenMario said:
It's pretty easy to ignore what Miyamoto says about the Koopalings because it can apply either way. If he didn't say anything, the story wouldn't have changed much. The thought of the Koopalings being Bowser's children is firmly entrenched in many people's minds that it's kind of hard to let go of that. My headcanon ignores Miyamoto, simple. It also makes up a bunch of crazy things the official Mario would likely contradict, such as Mario really disliking Donkey Kong and Wario.
Well, even if the focus is tipycally on the second part of the sentence, Miyamoto himself was smart enough that he did talk about "current story", in order to clearly state that he wasn't referring neither to the past (although the Encyclopedia tried "changing" the original SMB3 story, only to be "exposed" a year later with the release of the Famicom Mini and the scans of the original manuals...) nor to the future - keeping the various possibilities open is always smart, considering how Nintendo and the Mario franchise as a consequence are at a turning point.
There's a reason after all why we say in the Wiki that there's no canon in the franchise and why this thread can thrive without having to worry much about what is the current depiction of characters according to NCL - which itself tends to be as barebone as it can be. Headcanons by themselves don't need to follow official depictions, much less so those that deal with depictions that might be subject to change.

And as I pointed out before, Miyamoto was just the one to reveal this info, not the only one who made the decision to implement this change.

LeftyGreenMario said:
The concept of Nintendo consoles is entirely absent on Mario characters.

That is, not counting of course the battle tracks based of off the gamecube and the ds.

'Course, doesn't mean they don't exist. It's just that they've never heard of a Nintendo console before. All they've seen are Xboxes and Playstations.

Birdo was never really evil, it's just that Mario thought he looked like a monster as a baby, thus being in Mario's nightmare in SMB2.

GmanSir said:
Birdo was never really evil, it's just that Mario thought he looked like a monster as a baby, thus being in Mario's nightmare in SMB2.

This sounds like something DF would say.

Let's do the whole post-your headcanon-personality-or-background-because-it's-popular-lately thing.

Mario & Luigi: These two weren't actually from Brooklyn, they were actually born in the Mushroom Kingdom but after all the hits Mario took in games like SM64, he forgot his past so he asked Peach where they came from, and she said they were from Brooklyn, where she was actually from. Mario told this story to Luigi, who slowly adopted this theory.

Peach: Along with the above, Peach is actually the descendant of a secret race of Toad-humans, which is why her original name was Toadstool, but when the race was discovered, she changed her name to Peach.

Wario: No one really knows where he came from specifically, but they do know he came from an alternate dimension that no one has been able to find.

Yoshi: Yoshi and his species are actually the result of a scientific experiment, by an unknown individual. He was trying to invent something that would be able to allow him to shapeshift, but the experiment failed and he was turned into Yoshi. His wife eventually found his experiment and tried to turn it off, but it malfunctioned and turned her into a female Yoshi, and the rest is history. The experiment was never found again.

I'll post more later if I feel like it.

GmanSir said:
Were there even any Birdos in the Yoshi games?

(if not, that's a real missed opportunity)

Magikrazy said:
Were there even any Birdos in the Yoshi games?

(if not, that's a real missed opportunity)
Not that I'm aware of. In fact, The only Mario 2 enemies that appeared in the Yoshi games to my knowledge are the Shy Guys, and No one else.

Anyways here are some of my glorious headcanons.
• The Mushroom Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy. (Basically the parliament writes the laws and the monarch aproves them.)
• Mario was a jerk back when he was young. But the whole Donkey kong situation caused him to change his ways. (Saving the princess and becoming a hero was what solidified this for good) but despite being a better person then he was in the past, he still could be quite brash, and he still suffers from the consequences of his past actions to this very day.
• Prior to The events of Super Mario Land, daisy was a typical girly princess, but afterwards, she would eventually turn into the person she is today. (an annoying loudmouth but also a badass and sporty tomboy.)
• There is no one god in the Marioverse. Instead there are different gods and goddesses meant for different tasks. (Think greece or Nordic mythology and the different types of gods and goddesses) For example, Rosalina is the goddess of the stars. Whereas grambi and jaydes are the god and goddess of the afterlife.
• Toad hates Captain Toad's guts. He thinks of him as a egotistical coward who's dating his sister. (Which he doesn't approve by the way.)

And There's more where that came from.

Rusty Bucket Bay said:
The Mario Strikers series is set in a post-apocalyptic Mushroom Kingdom.
Specifically, futuristic post-apocalyptic Mushroom Kingdom. And it's in a Mario movie by Ridley Scott.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Luigi does mentions the Nintendo 64 in his diary in Paper Mario, though.
Thankfully, in my headcanon, Paper Mario's reality is virtually nonexistent.

Peach and Rosalina are related, though I haven't come up with how they relate to each other.

DK and Mario are rivals because Cranky Kong rated Mario as his Nr 1 videogame hero.

Magikrazy said:
Birdo isn't really a guy, Mario just dreamed that up.
He never ordered from that pizza place again after that.

Birdo is as birdo does.

Birdo confuses me because she makes eggs. Maybe hormone therapy in Mushroom Kingdom is just really advanced?

I like the dorkly method for how she does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqak66Xxzrc

Back