Characters that won't return to SSB4

Northern Verve said:
Time Turner said:
Northern Verve said:
The only reason they wouldn't have Sonic (And Snake too I think) is if they deem them as only Brawl exclusives. Which might be fine for Snake. (I'd prefer Snake return as well though) But as for Sonic, it'd be an absolute travesty to not return one of if not the most popular addition to a Smash roster in the franchise's history.
Not counting MegaMan?

Nope, including Megaman. Sonic got in Brawl thanks to intense fan demand. He almost missed it. But thankfully Sakurai and Nintendo heard the many, many, MANY huge want for Sonic to be in this game to put him in shortly before they were finished deciding the roster. Megaman probably had his fair share, but Sonic got in first and he didn't. So obviously the demand was nowhere near as intense. It should be a marvel that a character was so popular that it actually had a hand in delaying the game just to put enough satisfactory content for them in and everything.

Which is also why it's a bad idea to not have Sonic return. Why waste the rush they had to put him in Brawl just to not use him ever again? And possibly alienate all the fans who bought the game for the sole reason that Sonic was in the game?
They haven't exactly shown the smartest business sense recently (Let's Plays and EVO come to mind), so who knows.

Well in addition, I'd be raising my eyebrow if that three game exclusives deal between Sega and Nintendo for Sonic didn't have his inclusion in SSB4 included somewhere as a hidden clause (Or some suspect that the 3rd game that we supposedly don't know about IS Smash 4).

I actually believe the first Olympic games was made in a similar fashion. Sega gets to use Mario characters and Nintendo properties in their sports game. And Sonic gets to be in Brawl.

I think history's just repeating itself. Especially since part of this exclusive deal is the next Mario and Sonic coming out for the Wii U and 3DS. Along with Lost World.

I hope that if Sonic did return then they'll give him a different Side B/Down B, because they were basically the same thing. Sonic was just sort of underwhelming in Brawl honestly. If anything was hyped too much, it was Sonic's inclusion in Brawl. Also, maybe bring in a Sonic Lost World stage with all the floating platforms and stuff.

Time Turner said:
(Let's Plays and EVO come to mind)

Let's Plays / EVO

They were still stupid decisions but at least they're beginning to realise that there's backlash.

I think the following won't get in:

-Snake (not entirely sure, but I highly doubt we'll see him)
-Lucario (I don't even notice him half the time ROFLMAO, most likely to be replaced by new Gen 5 or 6 Pokemon)
-R.O.B. (I think ROB was just a special for brawl, he was truly a WTF character)
-Ike (Maybe replaced by Chrom?)
-Pokemon Trainer (Replaced by Pokemon or maybe someone else?)

I don't see the Pokémon trainer going, agree with the rest though.

Peachy said:
-R.O.B. (I think ROB was just a special for brawl, he was truly a WTF character)
-Pokemon Trainer (Replaced by Pokemon or maybe someone else?)
Well, it's alittle WTF in Kart DS. Like the Wifi Trainer, R.O.B. does represent one of Nintendo's business, but he was produced a long time ago and no other notable successors. He seems to be a classic representive in Brawl.

Unless the Pokemon Trainer is popular enough and well-regarded as a symbolic Pokemon series representive like Pikachu, putting new trainers or Pokemons instead of him can bring more advertising effects.

If they can afford to keep bringing back pointless characters like Ice Climbers, then surely they can bring back Pokemon Trainer and Snake.

I mean honestly.

Viridi said:
If they can afford to keep bringing back pointless characters like Ice Climbers, then surely they can bring back Pokemon Trainer and Snake.

I mean honestly.
Snake is a lot more pointless than the Ice Climbers.

I mean, now that Pit has his series revived they are really one of the few people who represent classical Nintendo retro games.

Snake, on the other hand, was really just put in there cause the producers were all buddy buddy. He really isn't relevant to Nintendo that much like Sonic and Mega Man are.

But she wasn't in Smash to begin with. Unless you count one of Peach's alternate color schemes...

New Super Mario said:
Viridi said:

I mean honestly.

I mean, now that Pit has his series revived they are really one of the few people who represent classical Nintendo retro games.

Snake, on the other hand, was really just put in there cause the producers were all buddy buddy. He really isn't relevant to Nintendo that much like Sonic and Mega Man are.

but snake does have some connection with nintendo.

Considering the original was on NES, then we have the remake of the ps1 version on the gamecube. If memory serves there will even be a remake of 3 on the 3ds as well.

So snake isn't really that pointless.

We can just all admit that Ice Climbers is pointless. However, they'll be in the new SSB4 game.

I just hope that the size limit of the 3DS doesn't mean that we can only get like 30 characters for SSB4, as that would be very lame, because we know that at least 40 can be in the Wii U version, and if it comes down to it, I think that they should have some characters in the Wii U version that is not in the 3DS.

Plus, it would give players more reason to get both of them instead of just one as there will be more of a difference.

Though, I do hope they get rid of some of the rather clone-y characters. I also think they need to tweck a few characters so they are less of a clone of others...

Zae said:
New Super Mario said:
Viridi said:

I mean honestly.

but snake does have some connection with nintendo.

Considering the original was on NES, then we have the remake of the ps1 version on the gamecube. If memory serves there will even be a remake of 3 on the 3ds as well.

So snake isn't really that pointless.
I didn't say he had no connection to it, I'm just saying not really the connection that Sonic and Mega Man have to it.

Why do you think the Ice Climbers are pointless? I think they represent the more obscure parts of Nintendo, and I'm all for that. This is like saying characters from Earthbound, Kid Icarus (which got a recent revival; I hope the Ice Climbers follow), Punchout, and Wii Fit are pointless, and therefore, won't be in.

I agree with ^.

I didn't say pointless as they weren't just wasted space (as I'm happy that they are represented), I just meant that I basically know no one that really plays as Ice Climbers.

cryoAwakening said:
I didn't say pointless as they weren't just wasted space (as I'm happy that they are represented), I just meant that I basically know no one that really plays as Ice Climbers.
I like playing as them. They're classic representives, so there should be other "more classic" characters to replace them if you think they don't need to be in SSB4.

cryoAwakening said:

Wow, You don't know anybody that likes playing as them? Well holy shit, that means nobody likes them. sarcasm

Every character has their fanbase and players, so calling them pointless is the same as someone calling your favorite character pointless. There's no point in even saying it when you're only reference is the people you know that play Smash Bros., which is irrelevant to the other players around the world that you don't know and the people that don't throw their opinion around online.

Hey, I never said that people didn't like them (as I do like them), nor did I say that NO ONE plays it.

I just said that for the most part, the people I know never really use Ice Climbers as their main fighter.

cryoAwakening said:
I just said that for the most part, the people I know never really use Ice Climbers as their main fighter.

which seems like a pointless comment.

but whatever man!

All i know is they hit like damn trucks and can easily mow over opponents(they have a nice move set and are really unique), so they should stay, as said earlier they are classic representatives, which is a good thing.

Personally though they need more screen time outside of smash bros though.

Mario Party X said:
Why do you think the Ice Climbers are pointless? I think they represent the more obscure parts of Nintendo, and I'm all for that. This is like saying characters from Earthbound, Kid Icarus (which got a recent revival; I hope the Ice Climbers follow), Punchout, and Wii Fit are pointless, and therefore, won't be in.
Ice Climbers co-op adventure game anyone? But yeah, 100% agree with this.

Back