Characters that won't return to SSB4

cryoAwakening said:
I didn't say pointless as they weren't just wasted space (as I'm happy that they are represented), I just meant that I basically know no one that really plays as Ice Climbers.

Just so you know, the Grand Finals runner-up in this year's EVO Smash Bros. tournament was an Ice Climbers player.

I don't understand how Ice Climbers (or as I call them for short, ICs) are pointless when they have like the most unique playstyle since you're controlling 2 characters at once.

2 characters means double damage, more versatility, greatly improved approaching options, a deadly grab game (even if they didn't have the silly chaingrabs, they can do things like a throw to a forward air spike lol) and that being grabbed when you're together is next pointless since the other one can free you.

I've decided to do a little bit of best-case scenario and worst-case scenario here with the roster.

I think I'm pretty sure that the roster for both versions (or at least if counting transformations around the same) going to be bigger then Brawl. But how big is what's the debate here. I believe there will probably be around 10-15 new characters in the game. I've split a prediction into whether the roster is bigger or less then 45

Also just in case you're confused. Already confirmed returning characters are not in this list for obvious reasons. It's public knowledge :P

Roster Number > 45

Captain Falcon- Original 12

Diddy Kong- Staying from Brawl

Falco- Was here since Melee, so probably would be here to stay

Ganondorf- Definitely staying

Ice Climbers- Sakurai likes them, plus Sakurai mentioned implementing them once.

Ike- He'd stay to represent the start of Fire Emblem going overseas

Jigglypuff- Original 12

King Dedede- Was probably among the most requested Nintendo newcomers before Brawl. Plus Sakurai could have more fun voicing him again.

Lucario- Still one of the few that even in a more optimistic view may still get cut simply because of this apparent need for at least one Pokemon from the new generation to get in. (Lucario technially not being the only one, it's just Lucario was recieved much, much better then Pichu's inclusion in Melee)

Lucas- Staying because he's different enough from Ness, plus Mother 3 is perhaps the most critically acclaimed out of the MOTHER series

Luigi- Original 12, Year of Luigi, etc.

Marth- The one for sure constant Fire Emblem rep. Staying

Meta Knight- Was quite a popular inclusion. Even for his infamy in the Competitive side of things. Staying

Mr. Game and Watch- Quirky, and probably the easiest of the veterans to animate. Staying

Ness- Original 12 (Plus more relevancy now that Earthbound is on the Wii U Virtual Console)

Peach- You're kidding yourself if you think Peach is going anywhere.

Pokemon Trainer- Plenty of questions here. In the best case scenario he'd probably be back, but will he have the same Pokemon? That's a different question entirely however

ROB- I think he'd be well enough to stay. Maybe even get a proper Gyromite stage of some sort.

Snake- Staying in this scenario as to respect his friend. Not to mention it's quite noticable that Snake didn't get into the Playstation game. Could Smash be the reason for that?

Sonic- I could bring up quite a few important points if you really think Sonic's chances of returning is any lower then 90%.

Toon Link- Like Lucario, even among more optimistic views Toon Link might be gone. Spirit Tracks Link doesn't necessarily automatically deconfirm him yet however, as Toon Link does have the Wind Waker remake in his favor.

Wario- Definitely staying

Wolf- It's actually 50/50 here. Wolf is quite iconic to Star Fox series. Arguably more so then Falco. But at the same time if Sakurai feels like Star Fox's reps need to be shrunken down for whatever reason. I think Wolf goes sooner then Falco unfortunately

Yoshi- Original 12

Zelda- Staying, probably with her Skyward Sword look. Shiek might be in question, although Twilight Princess having no Shiek didn't stop Zelda from having her transformation in Brawl.

Roster Number < 45 (10-15 Newcomers, but they have to shrink the returning Veteran list in order to do so, Roster close to or around 40)

Captain Falcon- No Change from Greater then 45

Diddy Kong- You could argue Diddy isn't as important and could be at least changed to pair up with Dixie and or outright replaced with K. Rool. But I don't think that's likely.

Falco- If anyone of the Melee veterans that returned in Brawl are being cut Falco would be it. But I believe because he was in the previous two game, his chances are fairly big.

Ganondorf- Eeeeeeeeeeeh, you could say he'd likely to be replaced by someone more relevent. (Or perhaps the character himself will change to a huge degree into the Pig ganon he was in the original games to a shocking less relevant form). Or replaced by Demise or even Ghirahim. But I like to think that as of Melee, Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are the Triforce destiny pretty much and make the core of the Zelda reps in SSB. So I think he'd stay still.

Ice Climbers- No Change from Greater then 45, even with possible programming difficulty

Ike- Could possibly be cut in order to place someone like Chrom in

Jigglypuff- No change, though to be fair if anyone of the Original 12 found themselves being cut. Jigglypuff probably would be that one. Considering in Brawl, Jigglypuff wasn't the first character you unlocked. Jigglypuff could break "tradition" again by not even being in the game in the first place. But I think the new Fairy-type in X & Y makes her a little more relevant.

King Dedede- No Change from Greater then 45

Lucario- Being cut, no doubts about it

Lucas- I say it's 50-50 even with the worser scenario. But Ness will be the rep more likely if Mother must be restricted back to 1 representative

Luigi- No Change from Greater then 45

Marth- No Change from Greater then 45

Meta Knight- No Change from Greater then 45

Mr. Game and Watch- No from Greater then 45

Ness- No Change from Greater then 45

Peach- No Change from Greater then 45

Pokemon Trainer- Could be cut if it proves too difficult or if having multiple Pokemon makes Sakurai think he's over saturating the roster with Pokemon reps. But I wouldn't find it too hard to believe that his chances of staying are better then his doubters think.

ROB- I think he's most likely staying. But if one previous WTF character no one saw coming must go. ROB I think is gone first.

Snake- Probably gone, Brawl might of been a one-time deal for Snake at least. However I do think alot of people underestimate Snake's chances at times. That even if this situation happened I'd like to see the looks on people's faces if Snake and Sonic both returned despite the rather big size of cuts.

Sonic- No Change from Best Case Scenario, again I can argue why even in THIS scenario.

Toon Link- Yeaaaaaah, he's gone in this case :X

Wario- No Change from from Greater then 45

Wolf- Probably going, as arguably more iconic to Star Fox then he is to Falco. Falco has the advantage of being in 2 games to 1 compared to Wolf.

Yoshi- No Change from Greater then 45

Zelda- No Change from Greater then 45

If there is a greater need to represent Pokemon from each new generation, why doesn't Gen 3 have any new playable Pokemon?

Honestly, I don't see why ANY characters need to be cut. I know Ice Climbers will be difficult to implement in the 3DS version and may have a chance of being absent, but most of the time, it's pointless. Even the cuts from Melee to Brawl were a bit questionable.

I'd prefer it if no one was cut, myself.

and even then mewtwo was replaced by lucario, who was better anyway

Sakurai said himself I think he doesn't like to cut much at all. The reason why Dr. Mario, Roy, and Mewtwo were all present as part of the "Forbidden 7" on Brawl's disk. And they weren't completed due to time restraints.

So quite frankly I have a hard time believing Sakurai will cut alot of characters from Brawl to SSB4 simply because whatever cuts he's done before was minimal and they were all Clones for the exception of Mewtwo.

Sure, the 3DS might limit the roster. But lately I've been wondering if we've been underestimating the 3DS' limit. Especially considering a large part of Brawl's own file size was due to the Subspace Emissiary. Which makes me wonder, if they had scrapped that entire mode including not spending any development time on it (Which I think I also heard it took the bulk of the development time). Could Sakurai have made the roster closer to 50 back during Brawl's development if he wanted to?

DCI Gene Hunt said:

As a fighter, I agree that Lucario is better than Mewtwo. But as a character? Hell no, Mewtwo is much more epic than Lucario, plus he's a classic, while Lucario is just one more Pokémon of the bunch.

I think no one should be cut this time around. I was happy Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link and Roy got cut because they were clones, but now... I hate R.O.B. but I'd be pissed if he got cut because he's an original character with an original moveset.

And how in the world are the Ice Climbers pointless? They are Nintendo classics and the way they battle is unique and original. Snake is much more pointless, actually.

Otachi said:
Mario Party X said:
Even the cuts from Melee to Brawl were a bit questionable.
4/5 of them were clones. The only one that's questionable is Mewtwo.

They could've changed their movesets around or made them alts. So, at least they could've made an effort to remove most clones.

Anser said:
DCI Gene Hunt said:

As a fighter, I agree that Lucario is better than Mewtwo. But as a character? Hell no, Mewtwo is much more epic than Lucario, plus he's a classic, while Lucario is just one more Pokémon of the bunch.
AKA you're still wearing the rose-tinted glasses.

Smasher said:
I'd prefer it if no one was cut, myself.

Mhm.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. Thus, speculation of new characters, characters getting the boot begins.

Also, if someone can explain to me why there is severe hate in general for R.O.B., I would like that. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but everywhere I go... "R.O.B. is the worst.". I'd really hate to see him get the cut...(maybe i'm being biased because i don't use him and i have a R.O.B. in my room)

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't R.O.B. some sort of "savior" to The Video Game Crash of 1983? Whether that is BS or not.

I don't know where you're looking. Most people enjoy R.O.B. as a fighter. He's heavy and has a great recovery.

Otachi said:
Mario Party X said:
Mewtwo is a clone, stupid.

DCI Gene Hunt said:
Mewtwo was not replaced by Lucario. What gave you that idea?

Magikrazy said:
DCI Gene Hunt said:
A humanoid Pokemon, often used in promotional material, that has a sphere of intangible substance as its main attack. Nope, no replacing here.

Time Turner said:
Magikrazy said:
DCI Gene Hunt said:
A humanoid Pokemon, often used in promotional material, that has a sphere of intangible substance as its main attack. Nope, no replacing here.
Wow! One whole shared move! Total replacement!

Also, Mewtwo was in the beta for Brawl. They were going to appear together.

Otachi said:
Magikrazy said:
I don't know where you're looking. Most people enjoy R.O.B. as a fighter. He's heavy and has a great recovery.

Otachi said:
Mario Party X said:
No he's not.
Yes, he is! Didn't you see the first movie?

Magikrazy said:
Time Turner said:
Magikrazy said:
DCI Gene Hunt said:
Wow! One whole shared move! Total replacement!

Also, Mewtwo was in the beta for Brawl. They were going to appear together.

Otachi said:
Magikrazy said:

Otachi said:
Mario Party X said:
No he's not.
Yes, he is! Didn't you see the first movie?
Don't act like a smartass.

Don't make people's lives harder by using a different definition of "clone".

ITT people are wrong about Toon Link

Once again Sakurai throws all the theories out the window by revealing the most-likely-to-be-cut character...

I don't even know what to think anymore. Just give us Mewtwo back and I'll be happy, I guess.

Anser said:
Once again Sakurai throws all the theories out the window by revealing the most-likely-to-be-cut character...

I don't even know what to think anymore. Just give us Mewtwo back and I'll be happy, I guess.

then sakurai gives mega evo lucario instead.

Back