Characters that won't return to SSB4

Northern Verve said:
Dorayaki said:
Northern Verve said:
Be honest, do you really think they're going to shrink the Mario representation in the roster?
Generally other Mario characters represent their own subseries games. Diddy could be the first cut since no real needs for two kongs. IMO, even though we do have all sequels for WiiU, I don't think there are that many new subseries games these years.
I don't see Diddy being cut because he's plenty popular in terms of other kongs other then Donkey Kong, and he has his own original moveset/playstyle that can't be replaced as easily.
We're asking for notable and necessary representives, not even to say that in spinoffs popularity doesn't mean someone should be in every game.
Since the importance of series is liquid, you can't say the representive number won't shrink. As I said, there should be more DK games first or we can see Baby Bros replacing Diddy happen.

I personally want to see King K Rool. However, his absence in recent DK games brings a major problem with his boss status compared with Bowser.

Dorayaki said:
Northern Verve said:
Dorayaki said:
Northern Verve said:
Be honest, do you really think they're going to shrink the Mario representation in the roster?
Generally other Mario characters represent their own subseries games. Diddy could be the first cut since no real needs for two kongs. IMO, even though we do have all sequels for WiiU, I don't think there are that many new subseries games these years.
I don't see Diddy being cut because he's plenty popular in terms of other kongs other then Donkey Kong, and he has his own original moveset/playstyle that can't be replaced as easily.
We're asking for notable and necessary representives, not even to say that in spinoffs popularity doesn't mean someone should be in every game.
Since the importance of series is liquid, you can't say the representive number won't shrink. As I said, there should be more DK games first or we can see Baby Bros replacing Diddy happen.

I personally want to see King K Rool. However, his absence in recent DK games brings a major problem with his boss status compared with Bowser.

Are you saying Diddy isn't notable? I'm sure there's people here who'd argue quite the contrary

We don't need more Mario characters. 4 is enough (technically 7 if you don't count the Wario, Yoshi, DK subseries).

Crackin355 said:
My thoughts on who is returning and leaving from brawl:

Returning:
Mario
Link
Kirby
Pikachu
Fox
Samus
Zelda/Sheik
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Peach
Pit
Wario
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Ness
Marth
Luigi
Falco
Captain Falcon
Mr. Game & Watch
Jigglypuff I get that she's a series staple and all, but if there would be anyone I would cut, this would be my first choice.

Leaving:
Zero Suit Samus We already saw that Samus has the same Final Smash, so logic would dictate that this form stays, albeit with some changes.
Ice Climbers No chance
Ike (Replaced by Awakening Character)
Pokemon Trainer Maybe his pokemon change, but the Trainer isn't leaving
Lucas Considering Mother 3 is in the same position as it was when Brawl was released, I highly doubt they would cut him out for any reason.
Olimar (Replaced by Pikmin 3 Character) No Pikmin 3 character is as iconic as Olimar, so no
Lucario
R.O.B.
Ganondorf (Replaced by Skyward Sword villian) Why would they cut the main villian in the series for someone who isn't in any way as popular as him? I would like Ganondorf to chance movesets, but that's it.
Toon Link
Wolf
Snake Kojima and Sakurai are still BFFs, and Snake kinda adds that "There's games apart from those by Nintendo" charm. Also, Smash had the rights to use Solid, Naked, and Old Snake in 2012 (That's why Playstation had to use Cyborg Raiden), so I can't see them cutting him.
Sonic (Replaced by different third-party character) Can't see this happening, Sonic vs. Mario is way too iconic, and SEGA's relationship with Nintendo is stronger than ever.

Mostly the leaving ones are just ones I don't think are important enough to stay or have the chance of being replaced by a character from a newer game. Newer characters need a place and they can take theirs.
Using this list as a guideline, there's my comments. (anything that doesn't have one I agree with.)

Northern Verve said:
Even Chances (Characters that I think still have a fair amount of returning but at the same time may be cut for one reason or another.)
Falco (Somewhat of a clone of Fox)

I don't really know if that would be enough to warrant his removal. He's quite possibly the most notable Star Fox character other than Fox himself, and Star Fox still deserves at least two reps, so.

Smasher said:
Northern Verve said:
Even Chances (Characters that I think still have a fair amount of returning but at the same time may be cut for one reason or another.)
Falco (Somewhat of a clone of Fox)

I don't really know if that would be enough to warrant his removal. He's quite possibly the most notable Star Fox character other than Fox himself, and Star Fox still deserves at least two reps, so.

Yeah out of the 3 in that Even chance I think he has the best shot of returning. I even think Lucas will probably make a return similarly as well. I'm just on the fence with them a little. Maybe if we ever get more information on the details of the roster then my list may change.

Going back on what I said, I guess I could see Snake maybe being replaced by Raiden or something considering Snake
died retired in MGS4
, but it's hard to think Konami won't retain any characters in the next SSB.

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
Going back on what I said, I guess I could see Snake maybe being replaced by Raiden or something considering Snake
died retired in MGS4

I don't think Raiden will appear since he was a character in Playstation Battle Royale.

Crackin355 said:
died retired in MGS4

I don't think Raiden will appear since he was a character in Playstation Battle Royale.
Me too, there's also the fact that Raiden has never appeared in a Nintendo console in any way, so that would be weird.

Oh. Maybe I meant Gray Fox, I honestly dont know MG character names too well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm pretty sure he's been on Nintendo consoles

Oh. Maybe I meant Gray Fox, I honestly dont know MG character names too well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm pretty sure he's been on Nintendo consoles
I honestly can't see Cyborg Ninja Gray Fox as anything other than the assist he already is, his moveset would probably just be a copy of Marth's moves with a blaster put in, and he isn't important enough to replace Snake himself.

I hope he starts getting the clones out, or give them original movesets. There's no reason for Falco to still have Fox's abilities, or for Ganondorf, the guy who has swords and magic at his disposal, to utilize a melee-based moveset.

Xpike said:
I hope he starts getting the clones out, or give them original movesets. There's no reason for Falco to still have Fox's abilities, or for Ganondorf, the guy who has swords and magic at his disposal, to utilize a melee-based moveset.

Well the clone thing was significantly improved in Brawl compared to Melee but it would be nice to have original moves as opposed to variations of the same one. Although I don't know how well players would take too much being changed on a character they're used to playing.

On a related note, I wish Fox, Falco, and Wolf didn't all have the same Final Smash.

And for once can we have a game with one Link in it.

Crackin355 said:
Letting you know, he confirmed that there's not enough time to bring every character back and he apoligizes in advance to fans of those characters. Considering the stress the roster choices put on him I think we should cut him some slack when it comes to what characters don't return.
I don't understand game designs too much. Indeed not all of them have to return, but this saying makes me think are we prompting them to complete it this year?

And if they think so, maybe we should get DLC characters every year.

Most if not all of the third party characters. Others I think will go, King Dedede, Lucario, Wolf, probably the non-returners from Melee.

Yoshi876 said:
Most if not all of the third party characters. Others I think will go, King Dedede, Lucario, Wolf, probably the non-returners from Melee.
Third parties- While I could see Snake going, Sonic is just too popular to let go.
King Dedede- Hell Nonono
Lucario and Wolf- Yeah, I can see that.
Non-returners- Yeah, except for Mewtwo and maybe Young Link.

Edit: You made it sound like there's more 2 third parties.

Matt Foley said:
Yoshi876 said:
Most if not all of the third party characters.
Third parties- While I could see Snake going, Sonic is just too popular to let go.
3rd part characters are additional, but they represent the cooperation between companies. Unless Nintendo decide to give chances to other companies instead, or SEGA and Konami decide to replace their candidates this time.

Dorayaki said:
Matt Foley said:
Yoshi876 said:
Most if not all of the third party characters.
3rd part characters are additional, but they represent the cooperation between companies. Unless Nintendo decide to give chances to other companies instead, or SEGA and Konami decide to replace their candidates this time.
Konami could be a possibility, but who would SEGA use to replace Sonic? Sonic is their mascot; they're not swapping him out.

The only reason they wouldn't have Sonic (And Snake too I think) is if they deem them as only Brawl exclusives. Which might be fine for Snake. (I'd prefer Snake return as well though) But as for Sonic, it'd be an absolute travesty to not return one of if not the most popular addition to a Smash roster in the franchise's history.

Northern Verve said:
The only reason they wouldn't have Sonic (And Snake too I think) is if they deem them as only Brawl exclusives. Which might be fine for Snake. (I'd prefer Snake return as well though) But as for Sonic, it'd be an absolute travesty to not return one of if not the most popular addition to a Smash roster in the franchise's history.
Not counting MegaMan?

Time Turner said:
Northern Verve said:
Not counting MegaMan?

Nope, including Megaman. Sonic got in Brawl thanks to intense fan demand. He almost missed it. But thankfully Sakurai and Nintendo heard the many, many, MANY huge want for Sonic to be in this game to put him in shortly before they were finished deciding the roster. Megaman probably had his fair share, but Sonic got in first and he didn't. So obviously the demand was nowhere near as intense. It should be a marvel that a character was so popular that it actually had a hand in delaying the game just to put enough satisfactory content for them in and everything.

Which is also why it's a bad idea to not have Sonic return. Why waste the rush they had to put him in Brawl just to not use him ever again? And possibly alienate all the fans who bought the game for the sole reason that Sonic was in the game?

Back