FTG's art

was_there_missing_of_fawful__by_fawfulthegreat64_dcxr6j7-pre.png

A smileybean in celebration of the remake~

Turn that into a Paper Mario mockup.

I made Fawful sprites from Partners in Time in 3DS style.
PITDX_Overworld_Fawfuls.png

Also this was a week or so ago but I also made the white jumpsuit in battle perspective:
dcy2slf-c9c99ae0-4b1a-4362-a4ee-2921c51b36f9.png

The glasses hue isn't correct on this one because at the time we didn't have the BISDX sprites for regular Fawful, only Dark (who has red eyes)

Oh dear, guess Fawful did defeat Bowser in BIS and is now an all-powerful being with the ability to manipulate the entire world and put the Mario Bros. through hell.

This has been a brief summary of hard Mario Maker levels with Moldo.

This started as a remaster of a BISDX Fawful sprite, but then I just started going for a pseudo-Super Mario / Smash Bros. look, and I like how it turned out :D

it_s_fawful__by_fawfulthegreat64_dd1iawu-fullview.png

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see my model put through great use there!! :)

So I learned some basics of 3D modeling in school and for my latest project I got to make Wittgenstein. So unlike the previous 3D stuff which is just posing and rendering other models, I can post a model I actually made!

_3d__wittgenstein_by_fawfulthegreat64_dd5ccuq-pre (1).png

This model is viewable and downloadable at Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/6JO8J

It's not the first model I made in class but I'll be posting that one later when I grab the files I need and export it in a more standard format (we're making them in Carrara Pro, the format of which is not ideal for general purposes outside the program)

Last edited:
can't export it in obj or something?

Well when I exported an .obj from Carrara and imported it in Blender, there was nothing but emptiness. I could export a .dae and have it show in Blender but objects were misplaced so I had to re-assemble the model in some places. I just uploaded the .blend file since Sketchfab will take that and I'm not that versed in the way things carry over to be confident about my shaders and textures staying correct (I already had to do a lot of fixing not only once it was in Blender, but even in the 3D settings of Sketchfab)

Honestly, Carrara isn't that known and I'm not sure why the school is using that to teach 3D, pretty much none of the shaders set up in that program carried over to Blender, not only that but Carrara is fairly expensive and doesn't have a student license that i know of (only on the school computers) so figuring things out at home is pretty much a no-go

Even I have no clue what Carrara is. Surprised you're not learning Maya.

It's a weird program that seems to be fairly outdated (even the interface can be glitchy and the program likes to crash or screw with other things if you try to minimize it) but unfortunately I have no choice and since its interface is weird and not consistent with other 3D programs, hopefully college will use a program that's more standard lol. There's also that the school computers are all Macs but I don't think that makes a difference here

Nah, macs probably won't make the difference and I've developed an allergy to everything apple smears on.

hooray_for_the_pirate_snail_by_fawfulthegreat64_dd5t8e1-pre.png

My Paper Mario style interpretation of Parry Gripp's Pirate Snail, from the song "Pirate Snail on Broccoli Island"

It had the amazing honor of being featured in the thumbnail of his art-show video where he showcased all the submissions!

Last edited:
OK this one is just something I did on paper at school but I'm proud of it by sketch standards so I'll share it.

D5--PRnXkAAJZ2b.jpg

Dieter's design just really clicked with me, he's fairly common in my sketchbook (I have drawn the other BFFs too but I'm most comfortable drawing Dieter)

Here's the first 3D work I made for school (prior to Wittgenstein). It's basically somewhat of a M&L OC. Designed to be a 2.0 of sorts to the Vacuum Helmet. The backstory gives it an advanced AI and the ability to reason, along with arms and the use of hover technology as opposed to rockets. Fawful built it to help him recover from the failure of the Dark Star plan (in this timeline he's assumed to have survived). But how well will this work out for him? Who knows. But it was fun to make.

Vacuum Helmet DX

vacuum_helmet_dx_by_fawfulthegreat64_dd6qqbl-fullview (1).png

Last edited:
Nice. Can you describe to me how you did it? What parts gave you trouble?

Well the idea came from pretty much being assigned to create a robot/machine character. After brainstorming I fell on something developed from the Vacuum Helmet and went from there. It went through several preliminary designs before being modeled, which I may post later

I'd say the part that gave me the most trouble was the "hose" piece, I originally wanted it to have a textured surface but with how much vertex editing was done to get it into that shape, no texture map came out even, and the ridges on it were also annoying since I first just made a bigger version of the thing and tried to boolean out pieces, but that was deleting random faces that I wanted to keep for some reason. A lot of the design was built using basic shapes, which is kind of what the assignment wanted since it was to learn the basics. For example you see a lot of spheres used in the design. For some pieces like the fingers, I drew them in Illustrator, imported and extruded them. For the collar thing that's colored like Fawful's cloak, it was a combination of drawing/extruding a shape then using Boolean with a sphere (and I may have also used a cylinder to make sure the opening was big enough)

Shaders were thankfully not too difficult, only problem is they don't carry over into other programs so bleh. But within Carrara, there's a ton of preset shaders for different metals and glass and stuff and I made heavy use of those. The eye texture and energy ring around the body uses a texture map.

Back