Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

No-Face said:
So that brings me to my other question, is online mode not as infuriating to play in? I haven't tried it yet, but if I can actually play it without feeling like the game is personally out to screw me over, there might be some redeeming value in this game.

It does depend on your opponents. At times, online racing can be even more annoying than racing against mere CPUs.

I will warn you that you should never race 1-on-1, since if you're the one who's losing, you'll almost never get anything that can offer you a comeback.

If you use a lightweight, you won't stand a chance against the higher VRs in online

Such a freaking pity.............but I don't use online so ---- that.

I finally got gold on all cups!

And I figured out my problem with anyone except Wario and such. I wasn't drifting. :-[

That being said, I now race effectively with everyone, so I can't pick a main.

MnSG said:
No-Face said:
So that brings me to my other question, is online mode not as infuriating to play in? I haven't tried it yet, but if I can actually play it without feeling like the game is personally out to screw me over, there might be some redeeming value in this game.

It does depend on your opponents. At times, online racing can be even more annoying than racing against mere CPUs.
Adding on to what MnSG said, at least you know that item luck is probably messing half of your opponents up too.

I got the game, and I must say, I don't get the coin item as often as other people do. In fact, I only got it, like, twice so far while in first place, and I've played each cup twice.

Also, Pink Gold Peach is fantastic. I'm not even kidding. She's one of my mains now.

Don't worry. Play the game more and you'll realize how ----ing common this stupid coin is. I got this damn item like 5 times in a row, the only item I received even in all items mode.

Overall, this game is more acceleration reliant, because of the Coin item. However, not everyone totally agrees with this, as you'll still encounter players who use low accelerating combos to win.

Item luck tends to heavily determine if your combo will succeed or not, and if you're using any low accelerators, you pretty much need to have a flawless race to win (something that's usually impossible to accomplish). Higher accelerators tend to recover more easily, but you'd have to use the heavier characters if you want average speed, and a tolerable acceleration stat.

My experience with online is either staying in 1st for the entire race, or getting a bunch of items up the ass and getting like 7th.

Good combinations, guys? I use Rosalina and Daisy quite often, and Pink Gold Peach as well. None of my combinations seem to be the best combinations to being out the best in these characters.

Oh yeah, and 150cc can go to hell. Peach and Luigi want me dead.

It's quite amazing how this game can make Rosalina's crown look so shiny at certain tracks.

zlCfzSDlPsEMrLS76W

Wario's coin is more important.

Jolteon said:
Good combinations, guys? I use Rosalina and Daisy quite often, and Pink Gold Peach as well. None of my combinations seem to be the best combinations to being out the best in these characters.

I have no freaking clue. Use one you're comfortable with: the CPUs don't care and perform equally whether you use a high speed combo or not.

Yeah, I didn't expect the CPU to be up your ass until 150cc Star Cup. That's when I had to redo the Grand Prix like 8 times total. Mostly Dolphin Shoals screwed me over with that. Honestly that course is hell to play on in Grand Prix since there is literally barely anything you can do than to rely on the stats you have and whatever luck you can get with the items.

One thing I have noticed was the fact that the item system can either be a blessing or a curse. You can get a star in 3rd place and be just loved, or you can be in 7th and end up with a green shell and be cursed to have to restart your Grand Prix because you can't get that item.

Like, definitely the best Mario Kart in my opinion, but just...being really nitpicky.

I didn't try the previous cups, I went straight to 150cc and didn't move on until I 3-starred a cup. Star Cup definitely was the one I repeated the most, Dolphin Shoals was the main problem. I think it's one of my favourite tracks because it wasn't easy like the others and I had to figure out what the best course of action was before I was able to do good on it.

Bone Dry Dunes on the other hand is just awesome to race on, maybe because it's one of the two tracks that don't require anti-grav. It's just so fun to drift constantly around every corner and they're perfect for inward drifting bikes.

Jolteon said:

Biddybuggy / Landship / Mr. Scooty + Roller / Button / Azure Roller + Peach Parasol

Offers you the best acceleration, with a very good handling.

Mio Akiyama said:
I didn't try the previous cups, I went straight to 150cc and didn't move on until I 3-starred a cup. Star Cup definitely was the one I repeated the most, Dolphin Shoals was the main problem. I think it's one of my favourite tracks because it wasn't easy like the others and I had to figure out what the best course of action was before I was able to do good on it.

Bone Dry Dunes on the other hand is just awesome to race on, maybe because it's one of the two tracks that don't require anti-grav. It's just so fun to drift constantly around every corner and they're perfect for inward drifting bikes.

I did the same thing too. It killed me so much when I got to Mount Wario and I lost the racer by like a millisecond just because I got the coin item when a red shell was after me. Star Cup is still my favorite though.

If I was to rank the Nitro courses, this is probably how I would do it.

Top 4 - Electrodrome, Cloudtop Cruise, Bowser Castle, Mount Wario

Mid-Top 4 - Rainbow Road, Sunshine Airport, Toad Harbor, Water Park

Mid-Low 4 - Bone Dry Dunes, Dolphin Shoals, Sweet Sweet Canyon, Twisted Mansion

Low 4 - Mario Circuit, Mario Kart Circuit, Shy Guy Falls, Thwomp Ruins

If I were to rank them;

Top 4 - Bone-Dry Dunes, Dolphin Shoals, Shy Guy Falls, Rainbow Road
High 4 - Cloudtop Cruise, Twisted Mansion, Thwomp Ruins, Toad Harbour
Mid 4 - Water Park, Mount Wario, Bowser's Castle, Sunshine Airport
Low 4 - Mario Kart Stadium, Mario Circuit, Sweet Sweet Canyon, Electrodrome

I haven't played enough so I don't think I even have 900 coins yet. I played it for two or three days and then got sucked into k-on, pokemon nuzlocke and mario golf tournaments. I should probably play this again sometime soon but I guess it isn't really a game I feel compelled to complete, it was fun for a while but I guess I'm not the same kid that played Mario Kart Wii for hours every day for 3 weeks without getting bored.

Here's my rankings.

Top 4 - Dolphin Shoals, Bowser's Castle, Mount Wario, Shy Guy Falls
Mid-Top 4 - Sweet Sweet Canyon, Thwomp Ruins, Sunshine Airport, Electrodrome
Mid-Low 4- Mario Kart Stadium, Twisted Mansion, Cloudtop Cruise, Toad Harbor
Low 4- Bone-Dry Dunes, Water Park, Mario Circuit, Rainbow Road

I actually like almost all the tracks. Rainbow Road is one that I just hate. It doesn't have that true Rainbow Road feeling. It's not long and there isn't enough rainbow. I see they were trying to make a futuristic one but if you want to do that, Mix it with like a Super Mario Galaxy feel.

My combinations are Toadette/Baby Luigi, Circuit Special, Cyber Slick, and the Wario Wing. That's all I have tried out though. I have been using the stats calculator to see what I will like.

EDIT: Plus I don't have the game, I go to my friend's house to play.

Mio Akiyama said:
YoshiGo99 said:
It's not long and there isn't enough rainbow.
That's called N64 Rainbow Road, we don't need two of the same track.

Exactly

Hell, this our first artificial Rainbow Road which actually makes it UNIQUE compared to the past, aesthetically boring Rainbow Roads we got.

I really love this new Rainbow Road. It looks gorgeous, has awesome music, and is really fun to race on. I like all the new tracks, except maybe Shy Guy Falls.

By the way, for some reason, I didn't have much trouble three-starring the cups on 150cc. I have yet to try Mirror Mode, though, so maybe the CPU was in a good mood.

Baby Luigi said:
Mio Akiyama said:
YoshiGo99 said:

Exactly

Hell, this our first artificial Rainbow Road which actually makes it UNIQUE compared to the past, aesthetically boring Rainbow Roads we got.
I thought Mario Kart 7's was pretty cool

ThePremiumYoshi said:
By the way, for some reason, I didn't have much trouble three-starring the cups on 150cc. I have yet to try Mirror Mode, though, so maybe the CPU was in a good mood.
Yea all you need to do is get first all 4 races. Wasn't Mario Kart Wii based on the amount of tricks and how long you were in first in order to receive 3 stars?

Ripper Roo said:
Baby Luigi said:
Mio Akiyama said:
YoshiGo99 said:

Exactly

I thought Mario Kart 7's was pretty cool
7 had a really good one. Wii had a good design but there was something I never liked about it. I don't know, I guess I won't ever get used to 8's Rainbow Road. Plus it is short along with N64.

N64 Rainbow Road should have been 2 laps to satisfy people who wanted 1 lap and ones who wanted it to be 3.

Back