Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

A little late but I think I finally figured out how to rank the courses:

Top 4: Toad Harbor, Shy Guy Falls, Bowser's Castle, Twisted Mansion
Mid-High 4: Sunshine Airport, Mount Wario, Cloudtop Cruise, Bone-Dry Dunes
Mid-Low 4: Thwomp Ruins, Water Park, Electrodrome, Sweet Sweet Canyon
Bottom 4: Mario Circuit, Mario Kart Stadium, Rainbow Road, Dolphin Shoals

I originally said that I didn't like Bone-Dry Dunes, but it grew on me pretty quickly. Can't say the same for Dolphin Shoals though, it's the only track that I just really don't like.

Everyone in da club be hatin' on Dolphin Shoals

I personally love it. I think the reason some people don't like it is because for some reason the CPU is particularly difficult there. I've noticed it a lot.

Ok, so some bastard lucky-guessed my code and couldn't claim the coins on Club Nintendo... Thankfully that person didn't claim the free game and I got to download Pikmin 3.

Nysic said:
Everyone in da club be hatin' on Dolphin Shoals

I personally love it. I think the reason some people don't like it is because for some reason the CPU is particularly difficult there. I've noticed it a lot.

It's so strange too. It literally doesn't make any sense to me why that happens out of all the courses there. I feel like every time I play it against the CPUs that are on a higher setting, that course is just hell trying to get in front. No matter what path I choose in the massive bubbling pipe area it still doesn't affect the placement. Like, I want to love the course and the music, but it just...it doesn't make sense why that happens.

Actually I figured out the best path to take on Dolphin Shoals so that I stay in first a lot. Grab coins on that first corner, grab coins on the eel and make sure you keep 10 for that small speed boost. Then I make sure that I release my mini-turbo right before hitting the pipe section so that I get through that shit quickly, the eel I feel isn't beneficial unless you let the tricks land and give you the boost, constantly tricking almost feels redundant. I always land on the far right after the glider section so that I can turn the corner tightly and not have to worry about that dirt shit.

I manage to keep in front of the cpu's this way and I find myself catching up as long as I have the coins and take the corners tight enough to shave off a few seconds. Sniping with shells can also help, maybe it's just me but shell sniping is a whole lot easier under water.

I never had too much trouble with Dolphin Shoals. My other friends usually have a problem with the CPUs for some reason though. Just avoid like, their first item barrage and you'll be fine for the rest of the race...as with any CPU players in any course in any Mario Kart game really.

Armin Arlert said:
I noticed that on the eel you don't have to cross over it's "spine" but just stay along the side of it and you can still perform many tricks.
That is correct, but it still handy to try remain close to the middle, as that's where all the coins are.

Just got all the non gold kart parts.

I told myself I'd unlock one a day. Now I'm here. Gold parts are gonna be a pain in the ass.

GalacticPetey said:

I told myself I'd unlock one a day. Now I'm here. Gold parts are gonna be a pain in the ass.

At least once a week I go through all 32 courses through versus mode. (Turning off all items and keeping coins so that a random lightning or blue shell near the end doesn't make me lose a few coins) That's 320 coins each time. That's probably the best way, though of course will still take a little while.

Northern Verve said:
GalacticPetey said:

At least once a week I go through all 32 courses through versus mode. (Turning off all items and keeping coins so that a random lightning or blue shell near the end doesn't make me lose a few coins) That's 320 coins each time. That's probably the best way, though of course will still take a little while.

150cc easy com also makes it better: also you should make it Mushrooms Only

How come the computers' aiming is so great in this game they can't miss a single fucking Green Shell?! For Christ's sake! And they always get behind me so they can boost their speed! The AI was really buffed in this game, huh?

Nah they just randomly throw their shells and it coincidentally hits you. If you play battle mode like me, I know what precision is....I've hit the CPUs themselves MUCH more than they hit me. More times than not their green shells don't hit you.

I also think the fact that shells are about four times the size as they were in previous games once they're thrown might contribute to this.

Also I just want to point out that I got Coins from an Item Box in 12th place while playing online just now.

Anser said:
How come the computers' aiming is so great in this game they can't miss a single fucking Green Shell?! For Christ's sake! And they always get behind me so they can boost their speed! The AI was really buffed in this game, huh?
Try moving to the left or right when you hear one coming. I hear that is their one weakness.

SKmarioman said:
I also think the fact that shells are about four times the size as they were in previous games once they're thrown might contribute to this.

Also I just want to point out that I got Coins from an Item Box in 12th place while playing online just now.

Was it in the beginning of the race?

Anser said:
How come the computers' aiming is so great in this game they can't miss a single *bleep*ing Green Shell?! For Christ's sake! And they always get behind me so they can boost their speed! The AI was really buffed in this game, huh?

It's even more disturbing to see that your opponent is always avoiding every Green Shell that you throw, and even if the shells connect, lag could reveal that you've actually missed, and the shell was a wasted effort.

When I'm racing, no one catches up to me. But, when I get hit by ONE item, everyone passes me.

Princess Rosalina said:
When I'm racing, no one catches up to me. But, when I get hit by ONE item, everyone passes me.

I've had moments where I have a good lead, but I lose it due to items. And yet I see other players get good leads, and they actually hold them. It's almost like item luck just despises me sometimes.

SKmarioman said:

No wonder...I've always wondered why wandering green shells seem to hit me more often and how I can get CPUs more often at a distance. Hasn't their speed increased too?

Now I'm really hyped to drive that freaking car :D

Back