Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Nysic said:
I ran random tests and found out acceleration > speed. I put the fastest combo and the highest acceleration combo onto the longest straightaway I could think of (Mario Kart Stadium) and the acceleration combo won. I tested even more and found that speed differences are extremely minimal. Thus, my current main is Lemmy/Yoshi Bike/Azure Roller/Cloud Glider. However, since every bit of speed matters in Time Trials, you should still use Morton/Circuit Special/Slick or whatever.

It's a shame that online races tend to say otherwise, but I guess some people are just very lucky that they're able to dominate with a low accelerating combo without any Red Shells or Spiny Shells clobbering them to death.

I'm only saying this because I used Lemmy in an online race once, and not once did he get past a Roy player. Similarly, I used Waluigi against a Toad player, and he lead the race, wire to wire.

Nysic said:
I ran random tests and found out acceleration > speed. I put the fastest combo and the highest acceleration combo onto the longest straightaway I could think of (Mario Kart Stadium) and the acceleration combo won. I tested even more and found that speed differences are extremely minimal. Thus, my current main is Lemmy/Yoshi Bike/Azure Roller/Cloud Glider. However, since every bit of speed matters in Time Trials, you should still use Morton/Circuit Special/Slick or whatever.

That's good news if I saw it

I think most of the time, player skill and luck factors much more than the stats. But again, I avoid online, so I'm just blabbing nonsense, most likely.

THIS FINALLY ARRIVED ON THE MAIL. I'M SO HAPPY. Here are my impressions:

First of all, let me get something straight. Mario Kart 8 is nowhere near being a bad game. The graphics are beautiful, and the gameplay is great. There are many things I liked, such as the balanced "metagame" and some small details that make the game an awesome one.

However, I can't help feeling disappointed by many things.

-I find the soundtrack really underwhelming. It's not bad, but it's just not memorable; the songs aren't catchy or captivating at all. They're all so forgettable.

-The tracks are ridiculously easy. I remember having to practice so many times on Mario Kart Wii's Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road. 8's are just so easy.

-The roster. Oh God, that roster is awful. No character was exciting or motivating (for me) so I didn't really care about any of them, and that includes Rosalina because of her horrible new voice. And what is up with the unlocking criteria? What kind of sick, twisted joke is that? It's like they didn't even try.

Did you listen to all the soundtrack? I think it's the best Mario Kart soundtrack in the series.

It's the best, sure, but it isn't amazing or anything.

I think it's better than Galaxy's soundtrack.

There, I went there.

Well, have your opinions.

But, in the end, it still has this "typical Mario Kart soundtrack" vibe to it. Too much music is "ambient", and I still think the soundtrack is inferior to that of Diddy Kong Racing and Kirby Air Ride.

Yeah this is a huge step up from MK7's soundtrack, which I really disliked. I don't dislike any music in this game (except for N64 Toad's Turnpike, which I don't really dislike, but just think it's bland)

I still think Double Dash has a better soundtrack though.

For me the soundtrack is on the level of it could have been the best if it had better tracks from Double Dash.

So without taking retro courses into account, I think that they are equal for different reasons, but all of the retro courses' music is better than the originals in my opinion, I know that some people don't like N64 Rainbow Road's cover but opinions, I think that they each fit the track perfectly for the game it's in, but not if you swap them.

I think Double Dash had a pretty bland soundtrack tbh

SKmarioman said:
but all of the retro courses' music is better than the originals in my opinion

I liked the GCN version of the Dry Dry Desert music more than this one.

Nysic said:
SKmarioman said:
but all of the retro courses' music is better than the originals in my opinion

I liked the GCN version of the Dry Dry Desert music more than this one.

Opposite: this one is WAAY better than the original for me

Acceleration tiers are back according to GameFAQs, but at every full bar instead of 3/4.

Unlocked the Gold Glider

zlCfzSC4ADEwGSxjhD

Mio Akiyama said:
Nysic said:
This game made me like GCN Sherbet Land

What's happening
That is how I feel. I hated it in Double Dash, but loved it in this game.
I feel the same way.

On the other hand, I don't like Dry Dry Desert as much as I did in Double Dash.

Baby Luigi said:

There, I went there.

My BMB rant senses are tingling, but I'll simply say that you're wrong on so many levels.

However, Cloudtop Cruise does have Gusty Garden Galaxy's theme in it, which is still Super Mario Galaxy music, so yeah.

Mio Akiyama said:
Nysic said:
This game made me like GCN Sherbet Land

What's happening
That is how I feel. I hated it in Double Dash, but loved it in this game.

I completely agree with this.

Like, there are so many tracks that I fell in love with that I found so bland before - Sherbert Land, Wario Stadium, Yoshi Valley, Tick-Tock Clock, Rainbow Road - and I'm just amazed. What really make them amazing is that they are so unlike what they looked like in their original version. Like, I seriously cannot remember what Wario Stadium looked like in DS.

But then there are courses - Dry Dry Desert, Toad's Turnpike, Music Park, DK Jungle, Grumble Volcano - that has little to no change imo. I mean, yes, Dry Dry Desert has a new water section, but other than that it just feels like it got an HD upgrade. I'm not saying I don't like them, but there wasn't a lot of things different from it, but at least it's a big step forward with Retros that make me want to actually play them.

And of course the ones that have such amazing changes - Moo Moo Meadows, Cheep-Cheep Beach, Piranha Plant Slide, Mario Circuit, Royal Raceway, Donut Plains 3 - that really aren't like the original, but I'm indifferent about. Like, Royal Raceway is great, but I miss driving into the castle, and for the most part it's a bland course without that. Of course, these courses are still ones I really like, and look completely different, but still don't do much for me.

Baby Luigi said:
Unlocked the Gold Glider

Holy shit you're fast

I've been playing since the day it came out and I still haven't gotten it. I wish that there was a way to check your coin amount. I've gotta be close...

Armin Arlert said:
Baby Luigi said:

There, I went there.

My BMB rant senses are tingling, but I'll simply say that you're wrong on so many levels.

However, Cloudtop Cruise does have Gusty Garden Galaxy's theme in it, which is still Super Mario Galaxy music, so yeah.
I agree BLOF! :D

I actually didn't care for Galaxy's at all. That's right. I went there.

Armin Arlert said:

Does Super Mario Galaxy contain a ---ing awesome fusion of hard rock and big band jazz? Does it contain jazz at all? NO.

ALSO BABY LUIGI IS BETTER THAN BABY MARIO!
NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH.

Nysic said:
Baby Luigi said:
Unlocked the Gold Glider

Holy *bleep* you're fast

I've been playing since the day it came out and I still haven't gotten it. I wish that there was a way to check your coin amount. I've gotta be close...

I have a twin too if that helps

Nysic said:
Baby Luigi said:
Unlocked the Gold Glider

Holy *bleep* you're fast

I have a twin too if that helps
[/quote]

Oh yeah I forget that sometimes lol

Back