Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

No-Face said:
why is everyone so happy about dlc anyway

yeah free dlc is great but otherwise it's kinda a rip-off

wasn't it miyamoto who said a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is bad forever
My opinion is: as long as the DLC isn't anything intended to originally be in the game and it's truly extra content then it's good, otherwise it's a rip-off.

(Me with 32 courses -> :D, me with extra DLC courses -> ;D.)

I almost forgot, free DLC isn't a rip-off.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't understand how it's a rip-off if this DLC is free? You get a whole new kart body and kart wheels if you download it, with practically no downsides other than someone looking stupidly out of place here. And if you don't like it? Don't download it.

Miyamoto said this in a time period where DLC is basically nonexistent. DLC is a good thing if companies don't take advantage of it and whore it out like Capcom or EA. I think a great example of DLC would be patches to update the game (ie Spore), and it's free too. DLC gives developers opportunities to continue developing some assets of the game past release date to increase the longevity of the game.

Just as there's DLC handled poorly for the consumers, there's some that's handled well for the consumers.
you seem to have missed the part in my post where i say "otherwise"

free dlc is great. paid dlc, it depends

yes, patches to update a game are great. but when a company announces that, before the game is even released, they're going to release *FREE* dlc - dlc that's just product placement - i can't really get excited

it's not bad right now, but then again, they released dlc for mario golf that almost doubles the size of the game and i'm wondering why they couldn't have just shipped the dlc with the game

This isn't exactly new on Nintendo's part. Pikmin 2 is filled with these sort of stuff. I understand if you can't really get excited about it, but calling it a rip-off? That's a bit of an overreaction there. For starters, Mercedes is the one that's paying for the DLC, not nor Nintendo. Second, it's optional. You don't have to download it if you don't like it. Third, it's not really day-one DLC: it's getting released later in the summer, Japan exclusive unless we get announced it gets released for other regions.

Mario Golf comes at a discount compared to other 3DS games. For a few dollars more than your average game you get to double your game. For Nintendo, that's a smart business decision, that's why they decided to make it separate. Day one DLC still sucks regardless, but Mario Kart 8's DLC shouldn't be compared since you don't have to spend a single penny on this. And another thing: even if you don't buy the DLC, you still get a full game. It's not like Mario Golf is hiding behind a cashwall; I think the DLC is more of a bonus than anything.

I'm not knowledgeable on games that do DLC the right way so excuse me for not providing any further examples on how consumers prefer DLC to be handled.

So, characters are unlocked randomly after completing any cup now. That's WAY better than the previous unlock system IMO.

Also:
[quote author=Mariowiki]
The special parts must be unlocked with these criteria:

Gold Standard: Obtainin a minimum of one star ranking in all cups of every engine class.
Gold Tires: Beat all the staff ghosts on each course.
Gold Glider: Obtain 10,000 coins.
[/quote]

[quote author=Mariowiki]
[/quote]

[quote author=Mariowiki]
10,000 coins
[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOO

As I said in GameFAQs...

AAAAASSSSSS

though i did heard that multiplayer coins count too. still an evil regardless

[quote author=Mariowiki]

Gold Standard: Obtainin a minimum of one star ranking in all cups of every engine class. You have to get insanely good and lucky, dumb. Super Mario Bros unforgiving.
Gold Tires: Beat all the staff ghosts on each course. You have to get insanely good, dumb. Super Mario Bros unforgiving.
Gold Glider: Obtain 10,000 coins. All you have to do is play a lot, good.
[/quote]

Is there only a Gold Kart or is there a gold bike/buggie too.

Nysic said:
[quote author=Mariowiki]
[/quote]

You know, the sad part is the Gold Glider probably does the exact same thing as the default glider again.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I'm not getting this game for a good long while. :yoshi:

Nysic said:
[quote author=Mariowiki]

[quote author=Mariowiki]
10,000 coins
[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOO
[/quote]
You need to play it for a week. Or play it for 3 days non-stop.

Also, Namco Bandai helped develop Mario Kart 8.
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/namco-helped-develop-mario-kart-8.454012009/

Anyone else loving the music for Dolphin Shoals? If only we had the full saxaphone version part of it, I find it to be the equivalent to Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze's Busted Bayou.

3D Player 2004 said:
[quote author=Mariowiki]

Gold Standard: Obtainin a minimum of one star ranking in all cups of every engine class. You have to get insanely good and lucky, dumb. Super Mario Bros unforgiving.
Gold Tires: Beat all the staff ghosts on each course. You have to get insanely good, dumb. Super Mario Bros unforgiving.
Gold Glider: Obtain 10,000 coins. All you have to do is play a lot, good.
[/quote]

Gold Standard: Getting 3 stars is insanely easy, just get 1st in all 4 races.
Gold Tires: Yeah, it's a challenge, but if you're actually good you can beat them easily.
Gold Glider: How is it good? Tedious, doesn't reward skill, and takes WAY too long.

The whole point of the gold parts is to reward skill. It's not dumb just because it's challenging.

Tedious doesn't make something better. I'd rather beat expert staff ghosts all day rather than ----ing grind, because when I beat staff ghosts, I feel like I actually accomplish something

About 1. More. Hour.
You guys will all be unlocking character rosters while I'll be sitting at home with ice cream and my outdated game Mario Kart 7, crying how I don't have a Wii U. The only time I'll truly play it is at a birthday party Saturday, lol.

Baby Luigi said:
Tedious doesn't make something better. I'd rather beat expert staff ghosts all day rather than ----ing grind, because when I beat staff ghosts, I feel like I actually accomplish something

Exactly. I'll just force my sister to play with me, since apparently both coin totals are counted.

Jolteon said:
About 1. More. Hour.
You guys will all be unlocking character rosters while I'll be sitting at home with ice cream and my outdated game Mario Kart 7, crying how I don't have a Wii U. The only time I'll truly play it is at a birthday party Saturday, lol.
And in the mean time, I will be at home with five gallons of ice cream playing Super Circuit.

Jolteon said:
About 1. More. Hour.

I'm the same, but I'm not bothered about it; Mario Kart 7 is my favourite of the ones I've played and we're getting SSB4 on the 3DS, so I feel like I'm set as it is.

He's doing a promotion of some sort

I have a contest to win MK8 on my forum. I used to have it in my sig, but it's changed now. Anyway, currently downloading the game. Super-hyped!

Just a friendly reminder of how much I hate and despise everyone here who has the game already, mmkay?

Just kidding. Enjoy the game, guys. I hope to get mine today or at least this week!

i dont see whats wrong with dlc in the game i mean its like you can get it if you want but its not like you have to
who cares if that other guy paid 99 cents for a kart, its not like the game doesnt already have a ton of things to offer. i guess characters and courses i can understand but its like how many favourites can you have at once
i guess this is nintendos way of skimming off just a little more cash for a very popular franchise since the wii u hasnt been at its best
anyway i kinda lost the mario kart hype probably cause ive been playing them since snes days so i wont be picking this one up (yet). probably after smash comes out

Pink Gold NEXandGBX said:
3D Player 2004 said:
3D Player 2004 said:
that's outrageous
people buy 4-5 maps for a typical cod game for 15$ so his list seems p plausible imo

DLC is alright, as long as it isn't abused.

I mean, it's just a new kart, and it's for free! It would be a bunch of bs if Nintendo made it to where you could only unlock Star Cup, Rainbow Cup, Leaf Cup, and Lightning Cup each for $1.99 or something like that.

30 Characters, 16 Characters, a full line-up of karts/wheels/gliders, battle mode, vs mode, online mode, even more...

My point is that if the game is finished, then I don't mind there being DLC. This game is more than finished, and looks to be one of the best Mario Karts yet. A little DLC wouldn't hurt, especially if it is for even more kart customizations. As long as it doesn't start costing money for each part, I don't mind. Nintendo has done absolutely fine with all the DLC, and doing everything they can not to suck up everyone's money like Capcom and EA do to their customers.

Back