Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Battle Mode really isn't the main focus for Mario Kart though, so it wouldn't really matter how bad it is.

I have now decided my main combinations.

Outside Drift Combo:
-Roy
-Flame Rider
-Rollers
-Bowser Kite

Speed: 3.75
Acceleration: 3.75
Weight: 3.25
Handling: 3.50
Traction: 2.75

OR

Inside Drift Combo:
-Ludwig
-Comet
-Slim
-Bowser Kite

Speed: 4.00
Acceleration: 3.25
Weight: 3.25
Handling: 4.25
Traction: 2.00

I'm amazed how many reskins this game has.

I do think that among all the playable racers in the game, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Waluigi, and Roy Koopa can offer the most diversity with their combo plots.

They can potentially have a 5.25/6 stat for speed and weight, and a 4.75/6 stat for acceleration and traction. However, their handling can't go higher than 3.75/6.

I even have my eyes sight on a couple combos that I've looked at with the stat calculator.

y6GwDYZ.png

MnSG said:
I do think that among all the playable racers in the game, Rosalina, Donkey Kong, Waluigi, and Roy Koopa can offer the most diversity with their combo plots.

They can potentially have a 5.25/6 stat for speed and weight, and a 4.75/6 stat for acceleration and traction. However, their handling can't go higher than 3.75/6.

I even have my eyes sight on a couple combos that I've looked at with the stat calculator.

HOW DARE YOU NOT USE ROY

I'll probably interchange characters, because I like all the characters in that weight class. Same with Ludwig's class. I'll also change vehicles too, since a lot of them have identical stats.

Wait, you can have 5.25 for speed and weight and 4.75 for acceleration and traction at the same time?

Nysic said:
MnSG said:

HOW DARE YOU NOT USE ROY

Wait, you can have 5.25 for speed and weight and 4.75 for acceleration and traction at the same time?

No, not at the same time.

Who cares about stats when you can look pretty?

There should be an option where your character and parts are selected randomly and you're thrown immediately into the race without having a chance to change anything. That'd be great.

Just let me control whoever I want and I'd gladly support that.

But in Mario Kart 7, you can touch and flick the slots in the kart select to get a random kart combo. So I guess that works. :)

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
But in Mario Kart 7, you can touch and flick the slots in the kart select to get a random kart combo. So I guess that works. :)

You can do this in Mario Kart 8 too

So in MK7, there were, in terms of unique stats (excluding hidden for now):

-5 weight classes
-16 kart bodies
-10 tires
-2 gliders

Which is 1600 stat combos, with probably a few duplicates here or there

In MK8:

-7 weight classes
-6 karts/bikes/ATVs
-7 tires
-2 gliders

For a paltry 588 combos. As you can see, the 16/6 ratio between kart bodies is really exactly the difference, (5/7)(10/7) is almost exactly cancelling (50/49 ~= 1).

If you want to stretch it to unique characters, 16/5 is 3.2, 30/7 is 4.28, that does not make up the disparity between the two at all.

I think the culprit honestly is the weight classes, which led to max base stats at 4.75 for most stats, limiting what the kart parts could do positively to just 1.00. Nonetheless, I think the weirdest part of all this is only three ATVs as stated, with all of them having different stats. Only one actually raises grip/traction, which you would expect all ATVs to do.

Played the demo again with my little brother.
We both played as Mario.
CAM00341.jpg

Unlike MKW, it's not a glitch. Two or more players can play as the same character.

Wayoshi said:
I think the culprit honestly is the weight classes, which led to max base stats at 4.75 for most stats, limiting what the kart parts could do positively to just 1.00. Nonetheless, I think the weirdest part of all this is only three ATVs as stated, with all of them having different stats. Only one actually raises grip/traction, which you would expect all ATVs to do.

The only problem is that literally every vehicle body that boosts traction has a negative impact on acceleration. Mario Kart 7 at least had the decency to make kart bodies that boost acceleration and off-road (Ex.: Bumble V and Pipe Frame).

Wayoshi said:
Maybe that's a sign that acc and grip together are OP? I dunno.

Still, Mario Kart 8's parts lack the stat diversity that Mario Kart 7's parts used, but I can probably see why that is after seeing Funky Kong and Metal Mario be used a lot online.

Oddly, the Wood, Sponge, and Cushion wheels boost acceleration and traction.

Also, it seems that every vehicle part that boosts speed hinders traction, so I find it very ironic that vehicle bodies like the Steel Driver don't affect speed at all, and yet they still hinder acceleration.

I don't either. I am not going to use a ----ty looking combination. Badwagon + Monster + Baby Luigi + Super Glider forever <3

Lakitu + Whatever kart has the best handling/acc ratio for me + small tires + a handsome glider that doesnt add weight,

is my choice

Does anyone know how the item stat works?

Is it not present like in GCN?
Is it a visible stat like in DS?
Is is a hidden stat like in Wii?
I honestly have no clue.

There is no item stat since Mario Kart DS....

It's not "hidden" in subsequent games, it's not there at all because it was scrapped

Back