Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Dorayaki said:
Speedy Yoshi said:
I hope we get a bigger roster.
I don't see that won't happen. So far the bad examples in Mario spinoffs are Olympics and Sport Mix.
What was wrong with the Olympic roster, I thought it was fine.

nsymon said:
I'm speechless.

Dorayaki said:
I'm speechless.

Just because a roster doesn't meet your standard doesn't make it bad. The Olympics gave us the essential Mario characters... Even Sports Mix. As long as a roster gives us the essential Mario characters the rest is just a nice bonus.

I only consider it a bad roster when they leave out characters like Waluigi but put in characters like Honey Queen.

Dorayaki said:
nsymon said:
I'm speechless.

I agree with NSY, it's not that bad of a roster. I mean really, the characters are mostly just the main characters from both of the series, and it's not like their stats really affect much in-game anyways...

Mario Sports Mix I definitely can understand and agree that the roster was terrible.

Koopaul said:
Just because a roster doesn't meet your standard doesn't make it bad. The Olympics gave us the essential Mario characters... Even Sports Mix. As long as a roster gives us the essential Mario characters the rest is just a nice bonus.

I only consider it a bad roster when they leave out characters like Waluigi but put in characters like Honey Queen.
I don't criticize roster of every game frequently, but these examples have clear reasons. Olympics already becomes a series title, but not only Nintendo/SEGA don't change or exapnd the roster, no fans ever agree with the "essential characters" we see. Well, I think Kart 8 won't do that though.

There were three main characters missing in Kart 7. Though bad for Waluigi, at least he did appear in Kart DS.

cryoAwakening said:
Dorayaki said:
nsymon said:
I'm speechless.

I agree with NSY, it's not that bad of a roster. I mean really, the characters are mostly just the main characters from both of the series, and it's not like their stats really affect much in-game anyways...

Mario Sports Mix I definitely can understand and agree that the roster was terrible.
The problem, as Dorayaki said, I think, is that London Games did nearly nothing to expand the roster. We could have gotten Diddy Kong, Rouge, and Birdo for starters. I'm not as familiar with the Sonic characters, but there are some essential ones missing. Maybe Jet?

The 3DS version of the London games limited characters even further by putting them in stereotypical categories ie the girls who can participate only in stereotypical events ie only girls can do figure skating and whatnot

That's super dumb.

It's sexist that men can't participate in twirling pink ribbons and synchronized swimming! What were they thinking?

Mario Party X said:
It's sexist that men can't participate in twirling pink ribbons and synchronized swimming! What were they thinking?
ikr

Mario Party X said:

Hehe, that reminds me of when I last rented M&S Olympics 2012. I played as a team of Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, and Dr. Eggman in Synchronized Swimming. My dad saw it and he was like (In a joking mode of course) "That might just be the worst thing I've ever seen" xD

I agree with male characters not being able to participate in ribbon twinking and synchronized swimming.

Dorayaki said:
There were three main characters missing in Kart 7. Though bad for Waluigi, at least he did appear in Kart DS.

Waluigi and who else? Toadette is nowhere near being a main character, in my opinion.

Anser said:
I agree with male characters not being able to participate in ribbon twinking and synchronized swimming.

Dorayaki said:

Waluigi and who else? Toadette is nowhere near being a main character, in my opinion.
Bowser Jr. and Diddy or Birdo

Otachi said:
Anser said:

Dorayaki said:

Bowser Jr. and Diddy or Birdo

At the same time, Bowser Jr. and Diddy are about on the same level of importance as Toadette.

Bowser Jr. and Diddy appeared in Mario Party, Mario Sports Mix, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis...all before Toadette

Toadette actually is more important in this case

She appeared playable before both here

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Bowser Jr. is more of a main character than Toadette; he's been important in the main series.
Uh, if you're saying SMB games, don't forget that we still doubt the lack of Toadette in Mushroom Kingdom scenes. I don't see that difference big since both of them made debut in GC era.

Diddy has been overused among all DK partners (as shown in the table), so he shouln't been considered here.

Dorayaki said:
Fawfulthegreat64 said:
Bowser Jr. is more of a main character than Toadette; he's been important in the main series.
Uh, if you're saying SMB games, don't forget that we still doubt the lack of Toadette in Mushroom Kingdom scenes. I don't see that difference big since both of them made debut in GC era.
isn't Bowser Jr. in more SMB (mainstream) games though?

Baby Luigi said:
The 3DS version of the London games limited characters even further by putting them in stereotypical categories ie the girls who can participate only in stereotypical events ie only girls can do figure skating and whatnot

That's super dumb.

you mean i can't play as waluigi in rhythmic ribbon?

BLASPHEMY!

Bowser Jr. should get in over Daisy, Waluigi and Toadette, he plays a bigger role than these three.

Also Bowser is way superior to the Koopalings.

nsymon said:
Bowser Jr. should get in over Daisy, Waluigi and Toadette, he plays a bigger role than these three.
Also Bowser is way superior to the Koopalings.
O_O said:
isn't Bowser Jr. in more SMB (mainstream) games though?

If you compare Bowser Jr(semiboss) with Toad(NPC), yes, Bowser Jr is important in some SMB games.

But it's about spinoffs here. SMB isn't doing with that until all main characters have current participation in platfomers. Among the current main characters, Bowser Jr is still too new (before Toadette and Rosalina).

Pearl said:
Baby Luigi said:

That's super dumb.

you mean i can't play as waluigi in rhythmic ribbon?

BLASPHEMY!
Yup. In the 3DS, characters are in certain categories.

Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Tails.

Amy, Peach, Daisy, and Blaze.

Knuckles, Vector, Bowser, and Donkey Kong.

Wario, Waluigi, Dr. Eggman, and Metal Sonic.

Yoshi, Bowser Jr., Shadow, and Silver.

So, basically, if you want Wario to be graceful performer in figure skating, you're out of luck. You're stuck with Amy, Peach, Daisy, and Blaze. And if you want Luigi to wipe the floor with Silver in ANY event, you're out of luck too.

Which is fucking stupid.

On topic, I can't imagine Bowser Jr. getting in over the likes of Daisy or Waluigi. And define "plays a bigger role", because I don't quite get it. So what he plays a role in the platformers? The Koopalings play a "bigger" role than Daisy or Waluigi, yet they're less feasible than the two.

This mainstream argument always makes me laugh, and seeing that Toadette and Waluigi and Daisy were in before Bowser Jr makes it more hilarious.

Baby Luigi said:
This mainstream argument always makes me laugh, and seeing that Toadette and Waluigi and Daisy were in before Bowser Jr makes it more hilarious.

Toadette? Before Bowser Jr.?

Back