Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

Its pretty clear some characters do not clasify in the literal weight class they are in.

Rosalina is treated as heavy only because she is larger in size , but not Big/Fat like Wario and Bowser are.

Her weight is less by consecuence but the kart type has been the same for a while.

Going by that i dont see why the babies cannot have a ''weight'' gimmick too. Having their kart being heavier but in the same size as the other small karts.

Cirdec said:
Well I think that's enough, considering baby characters are a lot worse, they can't get more than 3.25 speed....
Bowser has 3.5 speed at worst, if a max speed lightweight can't beat min speed heavyweight, then max accelaration heavyweight should not be better than min accelation lightweight.

There would be one notable limit in that it's impossible to go higher than 3/6 ground speed if a character has 5/6 acceleration. And of course, you'd have to give up some weight as well.

Basically, the trend would be the following...

Limit 1
3/6 ground speed
5/6 acceleration

Limit 2
2.5/6 ground speed
5.25/6 acceleration

Limit 3
2/6 ground speed
5.5/6 acceleration

Limit 4
1.5/6 ground speed
5.75/6 acceleration

PeDaRoYs said:
- THE BATTLE MODE THAT WE ACTUALLY WANT! Emily Rogers states that Nintendo has listened to the fans.
If the only serious thing they do is add some arenas, that would be a massive suckload.

LeftyGreenMario said:
PeDaRoYs said:
- THE BATTLE MODE THAT WE ACTUALLY WANT! Emily Rogers states that Nintendo has listened to the fans.
If the only serious thing they do is add some arenas, that would be a massive suckload.

i Totally get what you mean , but isnt that what everbody wants in the first place?

All the complaints point mostly to the lack of battle arenas

People tend to overlook the lack of invincibility frames and the ghosts and the survival mode and how you lose points for getting hit and the initial amount of points is completely tied to your balloon count and the lack of invincibility frames and the triple green shells and the fireballs and the boomerangs and the item box not spawning if you're close to it.

Arenas won't solve those at all. People think that's the only problem when I think it's beyond that. Hell, Moo Moo Meadows has the most arena-like area and it still is a total fart to play on.

Baby Luigi said:
They seriously need to give the babies either more top speed, more acceleration, and more weight.

One of my roster concepts did involve making the roster be more balanced with the stat spreads. I did have to make some adjustments after seeing King Boo though.

we8Pq7z.png

Four characters per weight class (excluding DLC and Miis), with the only exceptions being Cruiser and Metal. Cruiser consists of large-sized characters who aren't bulky enough for the heavier weight classes, while Metal consists of medium-sized characters who are too heavy for the lighter weight classes; Cruiser and Metal are basically polar opposites.

It just goes to show you how fat and heavy Wario is.

Baby Luigi said:
It just goes to show you how fat and heavy Wario is.

His canonical weight of 140 kg is much lower than I expected.

Cirdec said:
Wario is heavier than DK since Mario Kart DS.

They are the same weight class in Mario Kart DS, and they get an equal weight boost in Mario Kart Wii.

GmanSir said:
I don't know about having so many weight classes.

It's just trying to be more diverse with the stat spreads. Mario Kart 8 was a mess with its stat diversity, since you had as many as 7 characters sharing the exact same stats. My concept basically gives you more to work with.

You could choose a character who offers more speed without touching acceleration and traction, but you won't get any weight benefits, and your handling would be weakened as well. If you want more weight, be ready to give up some acceleration and traction points.

For an example, Baby Luigi and Toad would share the same speed and handling, but the latter gives up some acceleration and traction to boost weight. Similarly, Larry and Wendy would share the same acceleration, weight, and traction, but Wendy would give up some handling to increase her speed statistics.

However, Cruiser and Metal are abnormal weight classes in regards to the body frame sizes that are used for them. While Cruiser shares the same same acceleration, weight, and traction as Medium, all Cruiser characters have large body frames. Similarly, Metal only has medium body frame characters, despite sharing the same acceleration, weight, and traction as Heavy. Because of these abnormalities, there are only two Cruiser and two Metal characters, which finishes up the roster balancing concept.

Deinosuchus said:
They are the same weight class in Mario Kart DS, and they get an equal weight boost in Mario Kart Wii.

Actually, in Mario Kart DS, Wario has a little more weight than Donkey Kong, but they're both lighter than Bowser and R.O.B..

Deinosuchus said:
His canonical weight of 140 kg is much lower than I expected.
Where is that stated?

And what exactly is "canonical"? Maybe in Mario Kart, Wario just exploded inside and let himself go, and his weight becomes greater than 800 pounds.

Maybe it's not a reliable source.

Or he let himself go over the years.

It's at least better than speculating his actual weight

On a side note, I like to build vehicles that I think visually fits for a specific character, like DK with the Barrel Train and Wood tires in 7 or the Sports Coupe and Leaf Tires in 8.

LeftyGreenMario said:
People tend to overlook the lack of invincibility frames and the ghosts and the survival mode and how you lose points for getting hit and the initial amount of points is completely tied to your balloon count and the lack of invincibility frames and the triple green shells and the fireballs and the boomerangs and the item box not spawning if you're close to it.

Arenas won't solve those at all. People think that's the only problem when I think it's beyond that. Hell, Moo Moo Meadows has the most arena-like area and it still is a total fart to play on.

Moo Moo Meadows was super large, large enough for any arena like qualities to be thrown out.

The ghosts were another terrible idea, and I think they should be toggle-able (and disabled in online play)

Also, they should rework the points system so it more accurately reflects who actually SURVIVED!

I don't know, I think the points system is as fine as it is, as if Wario gets zero points the entire match, you know as hell he didn't survive at least once in a match.

I got 21 points solely from getting him in Sherbet Rink in Mario Kart 7 and it was funny.

May as welll post some hopes for the Switch port here.

My hope is that it's essentially MK8 (plus DLC) but with more tracks, characters, karts, and a better battle mode.

I remember hearing about a rumor that stated that there would be a grand total of 64 tracks in this game. The 48 from MK8 plus 16 more. I would add eight new ones and eight retro courses.

As far as retro courses go, I would like to see the following come back.

Wario Coliseum (GCN)
Mushroom City (GCN)
Waluigi Pinball (DS)
Choco Mountain (N64)
Shy Guy Bazaar (3DS)
Toad Factory (Wii)
Sunset Wilds (GBA)
Sky Garden (GBA)

Don't really have thoughts on new tracks. A Woolly World or Tropical Freeze one would be cool. Maybe a Kirby themed level.

As for characters, I would say six is a good number to add.

Bowser Jr.
Diddy Kong
Birdo
King Boo (confirmed)
Dry Bones
Petey Piranha

In my opinion these were the most glaring omissions from the base game. It would be great to see these six again. As far as cosmetic additions, give some pallete swaps to Toad and maybe Birdo too, in addition to the Yoshi and Shy Guy colors. Throw in some more Mii costumes too.

Battle Mode needs a total overhaul. Just replaicte the original format. Might be nostalgia speaking, but I think Double Dash nailed battle mode. Replicate that. Especially bob-omb blast.

More kart parts is a given. Maybe add in more retro ones from past games.

We already know that dual items will be a thing. I can't think of anything else in this category. Double Dash mode, maybe?

Sky Garden, Choco Mountain, and Waluigi Pinball probably aren't coming back because they've already been used as retros, but SNES Rainbow Road and Yoshi Circuit got used more than twice (granted, they were DLC in MK8)

Coins don't really add much to the gameplay for me. They always struck me as annoying.

i'd keep coins the same, but severely decrease the frequency

no more 1 in 2 chance bullshit in shells only races please

Back