Pokemon X and Pokemon Y

Mariomario64 said:
So I had a thought.

The first 4 grass-type starters are all based on dinosaurs. The fifth one, Snivy, is based on the evolution of dinosaurs into reptiles (because snakes). Chespin certainly doesn't look like either a dino or a reptile, so maybe Chespin is supposed to become Grass/Flying and be a bird of some sort to represent the evolution of dinosaurs into birds?

Just a random thought.

I'm pretty sure that dinosaurs are reptiles too.

I don't think the Treecko line is based off dinosaurs since geckos aren't related to dinosaurs except the fact that they are both reptiles. Geckos are more related to lizards and dinosaurs aren't lizards.

Chespin looks nothing like an archeopteryx anyway.

Mariomario64 said:
...so maybe Chespin is supposed to become Grass/Flying and be a bird of some sort to represent the evolution of dinosaurs into birds?
Archen called. He's angry that you forgot him already.

Oh, yeah, I haven't been around to post my thoughts on this yet.

My first reaction was IT LOOKS AWESOME. Definitely going to be on Team Fennekin on this one. First time I actually like the fire starter. But that's probably because it looks like Vulpix.

Pokemon X for me! Both for the chromosome reason and the legendary reason. Although Xerneas does look like Sawsbuck and Dialgas long-lost child.

Purple Yoshi said:
Oh, yeah, I haven't been around to post my thoughts on this yet.

My first reaction was IT LOOKS AWESOME. Definitely going to be on Team Fennekin on this one. First time I actually like the fire starter. But that's probably because it looks like Vulpix.

Pokemon X for me! Both for the chromosome reason and the legendary reason. Although Xerneas does look like Sawsbuck and Dialgas long-lost child.

yeah i kinda agree with that XD and maybe it kinda looks like a blue Virizion with horns, and i'll probably pick Pokemon Y because or Yvatyl (ok idk how to say it) but it looks awesome, and I might be right with the "it might be better" i totally hated White/white 2 :l black and black 2 was better, but yeah i kinda do see the diagla resmblance i guess lol?

On the (now kind of dead) topic of Fighting needing to be nerfed, in my honest opinion I think it's the most "balanced" typing.

It's strong against Normal, Dark, Steel, Ice, and Rock while it's not very effective against Bug, Poison, Psychic, and Flying with a majority of those types being plentiful (Bug/Flying especially).

You know which typing needs to get unnerfed or whatever it's called? Bug type, which is my second favorite type in the games.

I mean, seriously, this thing is kind of like the worst typing in the game. Some might say normal or poison type, but at least those types aren't "not effective" against every other thing. Seriously, Bug is only effective against Grass, Dark, and Psychic, which is good, but not great. The real kicker is what it's not very effective to: Flying, Bug, Fighting, Poison, Steel, Fire, and Ghost. Consider that a lot of these types are mixed together (Fire/Fighting or Bug/Flying anyone?) and you're pretty much screwed.

Chilly said:
On the (now kind of dead) topic of Fighting needing to be nerfed, in my honest opinion I think it's the most "balanced" typing.

It's strong against Normal, Dark, Steel, Ice, and Rock while it's not very effective against Bug, Poison, Psychic, and Flying with a majority of those types being plentiful (Bug/Flying especially).

You know which typing needs to get unnerfed or whatever it's called? Bug type, which is my second favorite type in the games.

I mean, seriously, this thing is kind of like the worst typing in the game. Some might say normal or poison type, but at least those types aren't "not effective" against every other thing. Seriously, Bug is only effective against Grass, Dark, and Psychic, which is good, but not great. The real kicker is what it's not very effective to: Flying, Bug, Fighting, Poison, Steel, Fire, and Ghost. Consider that a lot of these types are mixed together (Fire/Fighting or Bug/Flying anyone?) and you're pretty much screwed.

Sadly bug/flying is a very bad typing with many weaknesses so eh. Only pokemon I could consider good with that typing is Yanmega.

But the fact that bug hits some common attacking types(grass and dark) is a pretty nice thing to consider, as not many types hit both effectively. But yeah bug is pretty underpowered when it comes to things resisting it, luckily most bug types that are really good usually have a dual typing anyway such as Scizor, Galvantula, or Volcarona.

Even without the dual typing one must consider each bugs movepool as I'm sure some get other moves to hit these types effectively. Just be glad that bug isn't near as risky as Ice type.

Poison type is in an even worse situation than Bug. It's worse defensively than Steel, and it's even worse offensively than Steel.

Baby Luigi said:
Poison type is in an even worse situation than Bug. It's worse defensively than Steel, and it's even worse offensively than Steel.

True enough, at least theres quite a bit of stuff thats neutral to steel, not so much for poison. Plus steel hits ice and rock for good damage, and both are kinda common, so its all good for steel.

Poison ain't bad for defense though, resists some good stuff, sadly it suffers a blow being weak to ground.

Cirdec said:
Poison only advantage is basically absorbing toxic spikes.

As to dealing damage to Grass types, but Ice, Fire, and Flying have much better coverage.

Simply put, Poison-type attacks really shouldn't be relied on, unless the Pokemon gets STAB from them. Acid Spray is an exception, thanks to its ability to lower the target's special defense 2 stages.

MnSG said:
Simply put, Poison-type attacks really shouldn't be relied on, unless the Pokemon gets STAB from them. Acid Spray is an exception, thanks to its ability to lower the target's special defense 2 stages.

Which in most cases will just cause switches unless your enemy is really dumb.

MnSG said:

That's the whole point: to make it offensively effective. I mean, Bug is weak but it's one of the very few types that can hit Psychic and Dark super-effectively, and it has good representation with Volcarona, Heracross, Galvantula and Yanmega. What does Poison have? Absolutely nothing and no one. Weezing and some others may be merely decent when talking about defenses. That's why I say Poison should become super-effective on Water. It's the most common type in the game, and that would give it an advantage. It would also be fair to make it super-effective against Fighting because it's kind of overpowered (it's super effective against FIVE types).

But fighting sucks hard defensively, it's kinda like ice I guess, its more of double edged sword if anything.

Zae said:
But fighting sucks hard defensively, it's kinda like ice I guess, its more of double edged sword if anything.

Actually it doesn't; it's only weak to Psychic and Flying, and at least it has the good side of being super-effective against FIVE types. Poison has basically nothing. It's only super-effective against Grass, and most Grass-types are paired with Poison, which nullifies its effect.

... Unless they make it super-effective against Ground, which is also super-effective against five types, instead of Fighting. But Water is a must.

Anser said:
Zae said:

Actually it doesn't; it's only weak to Psychic and Flying, and at least it has the good side of being super-effective against FIVE types. Poison has basically nothing. It's only super-effective against Grass, and most Grass-types are paired with Poison, which nullifies its effect.

... Unless they make it super-effective against Ground, which is also super-effective against five types, instead of Fighting. But Water is a must.

Hmm thought fighting had more weaknesses, but you're right. But one more super effective doesn't sound much better.

Zae said:
MnSG said:

However, that can offer you a free attack if the opponent does switch out. Also, your opponent may not want to risk switching, and have his/her next Pokemon get heavily damaged, so in a way, Acid Spray can potentially work to your advantage.

Anser said:
MnSG said:

That's the whole point: to make it offensively effective. I mean, Bug is weak but it's one of the very few types that can hit Psychic and Dark super-effectively, and it has good representation with Volcarona, Heracross, Galvantula and Yanmega. What does Poison have? Absolutely nothing and no one. Weezing and some others may be merely decent when talking about defenses. That's why I say Poison should become super-effective on Water. It's the most common type in the game, and that would give it an advantage. It would also be fair to make it super-effective against Fighting because it's kind of overpowered (it's super effective against FIVE types).

Fighting may be super-effective against "5" types, but the Poison-type, Flying-type, Psychic-type, and Bug-type resist the Fighting-type, and the Ghost-type is completely immune without the use of Foresight, Odor Sleuth, or the Scrappy ability. So even with the five strengths, the resistances and immunities do balance the typing out.

Anyway, it's pretty much pointless to hope that the Poison-type gets changes, as the type chart has remained constant since the 2nd generation.

MnSG said:
Zae said:
MnSG said:

However, that can offer you a free attack if the opponent does switch out. Also, your opponent may not want to risk switching, and have his/her next Pokemon get heavily damaged, so in a way, Acid Spray can potentially work to your advantage.

Oh trust me, I'm not saying it's not a good move, as it very well is, but it can be very useful, unless of course someone throws in a pokemon that may resist your movepool of course, but otherwise a very worthy move.

Serebii is pretty much the only reliable website for official Pokemon updates. If Serebii doesn't mention the info, it's probably fake.

For the new generation, I want moves that are like Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Surf, etc. but for other types. 100% accuracy and 95 base power. Other types need equivalent moves to that.

Back