The Koopalings are NOT Bowser's Children.

Toad85 said:
Maybe they're adopted.

EDIT: DOGGAMNIT CRACKIN AND MnSG.
Dude, I said they were adopted hours before either of them did:

MnSG said:
For all I know, Bowser may have adopted the Koopalings while they were still younglings, while Bowser Jr. is his true offspring.
Crackin355 said:
Maybe he adopted them. Then technically, they wouldn't be His children.
Walkazo said:
No way man. Bowser adopted the older ones, fathered a kid with some anonymous baby mama whilst blowing off steam over his unrequited love for Peach, and then disowned the first seven to make things simpler.

Where are my curses props? Also:

Crackin355 said:
Triple Ninja'd
Fixed. :P

But seriously,
People Running About said:
Take this for what it's worth because according to this guy http://www.mariowiki.com/User_talk:LinkTheLefty#Koopaling_mannerisms_in_the_SMB3_manual. the original Japanese manual does imply that the Koopalings are Bowser's kids (at least one part of it seems to directly state it does in the context that it's read)
Yeah, as I said in my earlier post, I also got the "not explicitly said, but the implications are pretty damn obvious" impression from the one scan of the SMB3 manual that you posted. Annoyingly, I couldn't find the full manual or any other Japanese manuals (which is weird: you'd think someone somewhere would have uploaded that sorta thing by now, although maybe I was just using the wrong Japanese keywords), so I can't really comment further on that front. But I can confirm that ore-sama no kodomo-tachi translates to "my group of children" (with the "me" part being a rather self-aggrandizing pronoun-honorific combo), so if the quotation's genuine, I'd say that's pretty solid confirmation that they were originally his kids in Japan too.

The only thing I don't agree with out of LTL's comments is the idea that Miyamoto's current "not his kids" stance is because of how the Japanese staff interpret old quotes. Shiggy only said they currently don't use that story, not that he and his Nintendo never intended them to be his kids, with that story being a product of NoA misinterpreting stuff, or whatever. If anything, Miyamoto's statement confirms that the kids story was used in the past, otherwise the "current" specification wouldn't have been necessary.

When Walkazo posts..she REALLY posts.

Btw, how's Pantaro, Walky?

You bet I do.

He's raeging about the new school year already, but otherwise, he's good. It's nice of you to ask :)

QUICK SOMEBODY TRANSLATE THIS PICTURE
Koopalingsjpmanual.jpg

is this why you asked me about this

you know, you could have just asked if it said they were his kids anywhere. i would have told you

Walkazo said:
Annoyingly, I couldn't find the full manual or any other Japanese manuals (which is weird: you'd think someone somewhere would have uploaded that sorta thing by now, although maybe I was just using the wrong Japanese keywords),

http://www.geocities.jp/frnyanko/setsumei/famicom/supermario3/supermario3.html

the word you want is probably 説明書

he calls them 俺様の息子達, by the way

「ワッハハ。これから俺様の息子達がこのゲームの説明をするぜ。
息子達の言うことをよーく聞いてせいぜいガンバルことだな。ワッハハ。」

Take this for what it's worth because according to this guy http://www.mariowiki.com/User_talk:LinkTheLefty#Koopaling_mannerisms_in_the_SMB3_manual. the original Japanese manual does imply that the Koopalings are Bowser's kids (at least one part of it seems to directly state it does in the context that it's read)
Makoto Naegi said:
he calls them 俺様の息子達, by the way

「ワッハハ。これから俺様の息子達がこのゲームの説明をするぜ。
息子達の言うことをよーく聞いてせいぜいガンバルことだな。ワッハハ。」
So just like I said, the manual was from SMB3 era which was before the Super Mario Show series. The old staff gave many uncertain and different story vrsios, such as Mario bros' hometown and relatives, or DKJr who is a deleted character.
Probably the staff would deny the introduction that others' did in SMB era. What we need is the manual introduction of NSMB.

In SEGA's Sonic series, they do establish an official site and list the main characters' formal introductions, but Nintendo seems never volunteer to do it.

This brings to mind Where were you and what were you doing when you first found out about this?

Sauron said:
You act like this is such an important thing. I don't really care, nor do I care where I was when I found out.

To Koopalings fans, it is

The fact that the koopalings aren't Bowser's kids does make sense to a degree because they barely look like Bowser what with their different colored shells (even before NSMBW, we had green, pink and gray), hair colors/ (we have blue, rainbow, and bald) and body shapes (Iggy's NSMBW design). The only way they could be Bowser's kids would be if the mom had traits of all 7 koopalings.

Sauron said:
You act like this is such an important thing. I don't really care, nor do I care where I was when I found out.

Yeah, I'm not too fussed about Mario Character origins either.

Big McIntosh said:
Makoto Naegi said:
Big McIntosh said:
The only way they could be Bowser's kids would be if the mom had traits of all 7 koopalings.

im not sure you understand heredity

You're right, I don't.

This is where I got the idea.

clawdia_koopa_by_seraphknight88-d4xh8g9.jpg
O_O

and i used google translate for what 2257 said and it makes zero sense

I'm like sons to the description of this game is now "yak.. In that case you should work hard at best to hear what you say sons yoke. Yak.

I'm going to stick with the story of them being Bowser's kids. I mean Miyamoto's canon has been different from the game cannon. His Zelda timeline is way different from the one we actually got, so we never know.

BowserFanGirl71 said:
I'm going to stick with the story of them being Bowser's kids. I mean Miyamoto's canon has been different from the game cannon.
Let's skip some facts such as "spinoff regulars", I don't think Miyamoto or other staff can have their own thoughts that different from the other crews in mainstream games. In this saying, at least Miyamoto should ban some stories that could make contradictions (eg, Bowser's marriage in SPM).

The problem should be that they don't try to make it clear in any formal documentation. Zelda series have a more clear parallel storyline (eg, Aryll has nothing to do with Sky Sword) while Mario series never (or don't have to) show it. DK series is a better example.

Well when it comes to Mario and storylines it's all over the place. I mean how could Mario live to see the next Star Festival that only comes around once every hundred years and still look young? I know that Miyamoto's thoughts are usually different from the game when he doesn't work a lot on the storyline section. He admitted that's why his Zelda timeline was different since he didn't have a lot of influence in the storyline.

The acing was a bit over the top :P

But hey, free publicity for the wiki - and it's showcasing our ref work and everything. ;P

Makoto Naegi said:
anyway, in real world genetics it's possible for children to express traits not seen in either of their parents... although fiction doesn't usually care very much about real world genetics
Real world genetics can still explain the Koopalings (and Junior) - you just need to use incomplete and codominance and acknowledge that more than one gene needs to be involved for the really variable stuff. You can also assume Morton's just got some weird melanistic piebaldism mutation going on that overrides any heritable traits, making things a lot easier. Other unique Koopaling traits (Ludwig's tooth, etc.) could also be mutations, recessive traits that Bowser's only a carrier for, or simply come from the mother.

Being a science nerd, I actually went and worked out the colouration genotypes of the Koopalings and their parents ages ago...

If red and blue hair are codominant for rainbow and dominant over green, Bowser's red plus a theoretically blue-haired mother, with both of them being heterozygous (Rg and Bg respectively), would produce offspring with red (Rg), blue (Bg), rainbow (RB) and green hair (gg). Then just say another gene is responsible for the shade of these overall colours (i.e. Ludwig's vs. Larry's blue), with a third gene controlling the amount of hair - i.e. Wendy's blonde eyebrow could mean she has rainbow hair, but she also has the bald gene.

For eye colour, red, blue and black alleles would be present, and there could be a simple hierarchy of which one is dominant over which other one. There's more than one possible peacking order, but one example is that black is dominant, red is recessive to that and blue is recessive to them both. That makes Bowser Rb (heterozygous for Red over blue), the mother Bb (heterozygous Black over blue), and the offspring BR or Bb (black), bb (blue) or Rb (red - allowing for Junior to inherit his father's eyes).

Head colour is a simple matter of green being dominant over pink, or a 3-way situation like the eye colour if you don't simply say Wendy's yellow all over because she's a girl. Because it's so common, I'd say green has dominance over yellow and pink, and then it's anyone's call which comes next on the dominance hierarchy. If we say yellow's the most recessive, then that means Bowser is GY for green over yellow, the mother is PY for pink over yellow, and the Koopalings are GY or GP green, PY pink (Roy) and YY yellow (Wendy).

The shells could have incomplete dominance (i.e. red, yellow and blue genes that combine to form orange, purple and green). So, crossing Bowser's green shell (YB) with a purple-shelled mother (RB), you get YB, RB, BB (blue) and YR (orange) kids - then just have another gene turn orange into pink and regulate the shades of blue and green, and you have all the Koopalings covered (besides Morton, as always). The rings around the spikes would need a bit more complexity in order to get the colours to work - i.e. a fourth, recessive allele (x) coding for some unseen colour (like brown or grey) and the R gene simply being dominant for orange, rather than red, regardless of whether it's with another R, a Y or an x (with a second gene still turning it pink), yet still being only incompletely dominant over the B allele. This means Bowser would be Rx for his orange spike-rings, and the mother would be green (BY), thus producing RY (orange or pink), Yx (yellow), BR (purple) or Bx (blue) offspring.

Of course, I just say the new Koopaling shells are dyed (hence the spike rings are vividly coloured, unlike Bowser and Junior), meaning it's just a simple matter of green-vs-pink, but that's taking the easy way out. For my own writing, I also say you simply can't see the irises of some of the Koopalings and Junior, giving me more freedom about the genes and what the mother could look like, but that's just me.

Walkazo said:
The acing was a bit over the top :P

But hey, free publicity for the wiki - and it's showcasing our ref work and everything. ;P

Makoto Naegi said:
anyway, in real world genetics it's possible for children to express traits not seen in either of their parents... although fiction doesn't usually care very much about real world genetics
Real world genetics can still explain the Koopalings (and Junior) - you just need to use incomplete and codominance and acknowledge that more than one gene needs to be involved for the really variable stuff. You can also assume Morton's just got some weird melanistic piebaldism mutation going on that overrides any heritable traits, making things a lot easier. Other unique Koopaling traits (Ludwig's tooth, etc.) could also be mutations, recessive traits that Bowser's only a carrier for, or simply come from the mother.

Being a science nerd, I actually went and worked out the colouration genotypes of the Koopalings and their parents ages ago...

If red and blue hair are codominant for rainbow and dominant over green, Bowser's red plus a theoretically blue-haired mother, with both of them being heterozygous (Rg and Bg respectively), would produce offspring with red (Rg), blue (Bg), rainbow (RB) and green hair (gg). Then just say another gene is responsible for the shade of these overall colours (i.e. Ludwig's vs. Larry's blue), with a third gene controlling the amount of hair - i.e. Wendy's blonde eyebrow could mean she has rainbow hair, but she also has the bald gene.

For eye colour, red, blue and black alleles would be present, and there could be a simple hierarchy of which one is dominant over which other one. There's more than one possible peacking order, but one example is that black is dominant, red is recessive to that and blue is recessive to them both. That makes Bowser Rb (heterozygous for Red over blue), the mother Bb (heterozygous Black over blue), and the offspring BR or Bb (black), bb (blue) or Rb (red - allowing for Junior to inherit his father's eyes).

Head colour is a simple matter of green being dominant over pink, or a 3-way situation like the eye colour if you don't simply say Wendy's yellow all over because she's a girl. Because it's so common, I'd say green has dominance over yellow and pink, and then it's anyone's call which comes next on the dominance hierarchy. If we say yellow's the most recessive, then that means Bowser is GY for green over yellow, the mother is PY for pink over yellow, and the Koopalings are GY or GP green, PY pink (Roy) and YY yellow (Wendy).

The shells could have incomplete dominance (i.e. red, yellow and blue genes that combine to form orange, purple and green). So, crossing Bowser's green shell (YB) with a purple-shelled mother (RB), you get YB, RB, BB (blue) and YR (orange) kids - then just have another gene turn orange into pink and regulate the shades of blue and green, and you have all the Koopalings covered (besides Morton, as always). The rings around the spikes would need a bit more complexity in order to get the colours to work - i.e. a fourth, recessive allele (x) coding for some unseen colour (like brown or grey) and the R gene simply being dominant for orange, rather than red, regardless of whether it's with another R, a Y or an x (with a second gene still turning it pink), yet still being only incompletely dominant over the B allele. This means Bowser would be Rx for his orange spike-rings, and the mother would be green (BY), thus producing RY (orange or pink), Yx (yellow), BR (purple) or Bx (blue) offspring.

Of course, I just say the new Koopaling shells are dyed (hence the spike rings are vividly coloured, unlike Bowser and Junior), meaning it's just a simple matter of green-vs-pink, but that's taking the easy way out. For my own writing, I also say you simply can't see the irises of some of the Koopalings and Junior, giving me more freedom about the genes and what the mother could look like, but that's just me.

That's what we call a large post!

Back