The Koopalings are NOT Bowser's Children.

People Running About said:
QUICK SOMEBODY TRANSLATE THIS PICTURE
Koopalingsjpmanual.jpg
And, here are the 7 Kokuppa siblings!! "We love mischief."

(Emphasis on "mischief" and using the "tough guy" version of "we".)

I generally think of Kokuppa meaning "little Bowsers". It obviously comes from Kuppa (Bowser), but while the "ko-" part can mean "child" (from 「子」, ko), it's not necessarily saying their Bowser's children, and in my experience, 「子」 usually comes at the end of names, while 「小」, ko, meaning "little", does come at the beginning of "Ko-" Japanese names. Of course, even "little Bowsers", combined with the fact that they're siblings, at least implies there's a relationship there, and I'd wager there was meant to be a relationship (which NoA then ran with). Miyamoto's just continuing with the whitewashing of plot with this development - not that "Bowser has 8 kids, but the youngest is his favourite and gets all the goods" was an overly complex plot point that really needed simplification to begin with...

So basically the idea that they were Bowser's children was a combination of a mistranslation and misinterpretation of the Koopalings names, and the fact that they're "siblings".

Actually, if they're NOT Bowser's children, they why are they working with him. They're kids, meaning it'd be weird to see the likes of them serving Bowser just to cause mischief. So really, this just creates more confusion.

People Running About said:
Gummy said:
Plenty of other material suggests both or remains neutral. Pick the story you like and stick with it. It's not like Mario has an intricate plot anyway.

And Miyamoto's losing his touch, IMO; supposedly he's behing a lot of the "dumbing down" of the more recent platformers in order to further expand the audience (which is good business strategy, so I assume they'll keep doing it)
He stopped the plot of the Galaxy series from developing so that they would focus on the gameplay

As seen in more of the recent platformers, the gameplay's taken a hit in order to satisfy the new swathe of gamers who play some little addictive crap for 5 minutes at a time.

Smashgoom202 said:
So basically the idea that they were Bowser's children was a combination of a mistranslation and misinterpretation of the Koopalings names, and the fact that they're "siblings".

Actually, if they're NOT Bowser's children, they why are they working with him. They're kids, meaning it'd be weird to see the likes of them serving Bowser just to cause mischief. So really, this just creates more confusion.
No. The Japanese may not be explicit about it, but it still pretty much says they're his kids, and like you said, why would random kids be amok with the Great Demon King Koopa? As for the translation work, "Bowser's kids" is a perfectly good interpretation of "the 'little Bowser' siblings". If anything "Koopaling" is more ambiguous than "little Bowser", since "Koopa" can mean the race as well as the character in English, unlike in the Japanese, where Kuppa only refers to the guy. However, the more direct translation of "Bowserling" sounds crappy, so I don't blame them for going with "Koopaling". (On a side-note: I wouldn't change the "-ling" part because it's an English diminutive suffix that also carries word-association with "offspring", "hatchling", "fledgeling" and non-familial things like "underling" - you couldn't find a better substitute for the similarly multi-use Japanese ko.)

I found it a bit weird that he would have so many children. This really doesn't change anything for me though, since I don't really care about backstory for Mario characters.

Walkazo said:
Smashgoom202 said:

No. The Japanese may not be explicit about it, but it still pretty much says they're his kids, and like you said, why would random kids be amok with the Great Demon King Koopa? As for the translation work, "Bowser's kids" is a perfectly good interpretation of "the 'little Bowser' siblings". If anything "Koopaling" is more ambiguous than "little Bowser", since "Koopa" can mean the race as well as the character in English, unlike in the Japanese, where Kuppa only refers to the guy. However, the more direct translation of "Bowserling" sounds crappy, so I don't blame them for going with "Koopaling". (On a side-note: I wouldn't change the "-ling" part because it's an English diminutive suffix that also carries word-association with "offspring", "hatchling", "fledgeling" and non-familial things like "underling" - you couldn't find a better substitute for the similarly multi-use Japanese ko.)
Good point... So yeah, what the Hell, Miyamoto?

So, Miyamoto was trolling us the whole time?

Well, we need to edit every article related to Bowser if any of this is true.

The Koopalings could be Boom-Boom's children since they appeared in the same game and also they're Koopas.

And alot of Mario fans I know think Peach has something to do with the Koopalings' existence.

Wow. And all this time I thought

Koopalings = Bowser + Peach

and on a similar note

Bowser Jr. = Bowser + Cloning Machine

No way man. Bowser adopted the older ones, fathered a kid with some anonymous baby mama whilst blowing off steam over his unrequited love for Peach, and then disowned the first seven to make things simpler.

Shiggy wanted to simplify things, but all he's done is given the fanfic writers even more grist. That's the best part of Mario: Nintendo doesn't give a crap about the timeline, so it leaves so much to the imagination.

('course I'm sticking to the usual "one mom who then died/left" theory for me own personal timeline, Word of God be damned)

Bronto Burt said:
Well, we need to edit every article related to Bowser if any of this is true.
Shiggy's statement has been added to the Bowser and Koopaling articles. I don't think we should go rewriting the entire wiki to say they're not his kids, just note that they're not "currently" considered his kids by Nintendo: an interview shouldn't trump 20+ years of gaming history, plus it'd confuse a lot of people and probably result in many an edit war. We could always put it to a Proposal vote if there's arguments over it.

I don't believe Miyamoto. Period.

Miyamoto is attempting to retcon over 20 years of common gaming knowledge, and he's either being an excellent troll, making a big mistake or we were all wrong to begin with, despite what the comics and the cartoons and the manuals have said.

While this does not effect gameplay, this will greatly affect the thousands of fanfic authors and fan artists out there, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of them will just simply ignore this quote.

Don Pianta said:
That's because the wiki isn't official Nintendo property. It was created by fans.

The idea of the wiki is to gain all of the information on the Mario Series, not just add in what the fans think.

Bane said:
Don Pianta said:
That's because the wiki isn't official Nintendo property. It was created by fans.

The idea of the wiki is to gain all of the information on the Mario Series, not just add in what the fans think.
It's written from fans but it's written from things that are actually confirmed by Nintendo. Otherwise there would be a article for Super Mario Crossover.

NSY said:
Bane said:
Don Pianta said:

It's written from fans but it's written from things that are actually confirmed by Nintendo. Otherwise there would be a article for Super Mario Crossover.

Shigeru Miyamoto himself said it. Official Nintendo Buisness going on over here.

For all I know, Bowser may have adopted the Koopalings while they were still younglings, while Bowser Jr. is his true offspring.

Ironfoot said:
Miyamoto is attempting to retcon over 20 years of common gaming knowledge, and he's either being an excellent troll, making a big mistake or we were all wrong to begin with, despite what the comics and the cartoons and the manuals have said.

The cartoons barely had anything to do with the games and even though the comics were published by Nintendo and portrayed the koopalings more accurately, that doesn't mean they share the same continuity as the games especially since they still used Bowser's cartoon design.

Bane said:
Don Pianta said:

True, but that doesn't mean assumptions aren't made at all. I've seen at least two assumptions made on the wiki although one of them's been fixed. The point is, the wiki's not completely accurate and people shouldn't believe everything they read.

Back