Why NSMB is going downhill

shockwave527

SHINX, TEPIG & CHESPIN: BEST POKEMON EVER
Here is a list of reasons why the Mario Bros series is going downhill (even though I still plan on buying every title). Feel free to add on to it or post your own comments.

• Super mario bros was original. SMB2 had an all new format, as did 3 and world. World (in my opinion) had the best format with it's free-roaming experience. NSMB also had a new world layout which was interesting, easy to understand and maneuver, and fun. NSMBWii copied that. As did NSMB2. As will NSMBU. Is it just me, or is it getting repetitive in here? Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but can't we get a little variety? Nintendo, you don't always need to stay safe.
  • Lets discuss bosses. Now Mario 3 and Mario world both had pretty much the same bosses which was ok at the time, but this is why I loved yoshi's island. They had innovative bosses based on run-of-the-mill enemies. NSMB did the same idea, which was awesome! Each enemy was new, having an interesting pattern and way to defeat each one. When the Wii version came, I was excited to see what new and innovative bosses they'd come up with. That's when I found out it was the koopalings. Ok, that's cool. We hadn't seen them in a while. Now comes 2, where there's the koopalings again, and I can only guess who's appearing in wii. Whatever happened to innovation? Where's our interesting, creative bosses?

The Koopalings can be innovative in their fights; the problem is that Nintendo decided to make all of them "they jump around and shoot magic at you, jump on them 3 times". The problem, as you noted, is the utter lack of diversity; the same 8 world themes and the same Super Mario Bros. 3 references (if the goddamn Super Leaf appears one more time before I get my Cape...and if they want a SMB3, why no Kuribo's Shoe or Hammer Suit?)

Actually, I have no problem with the NSMB installments; they're okay in their own rights.

What I DO have an issue with is the musical score for the New Super Mario Bros. 2 game. As I said in another forum, being a Mario music fan who maintains an "arrangement gallery", just hearing the musical score for NSMB2 for the most part is the biggest disgrace to me -- why? Because for the most part, it's nothing but a repeat of the NSMB Wii musical score!!!

/end rant

MeritC said:
Actually, I have no problem with the NSMB installments; they're okay in their own rights.

What I DO have an issue with is the musical score for the New Super Mario Bros. 2 game. As I said in another forum, being a Mario music fan who maintains an "arrangement gallery", just hearing the musical score for NSMB2 for the most part is the biggest disgrace to me -- why? Because for the most part, it's nothing but a repeat of the NSMB Wii musical score!!!

/end rant

I would also like to mention that the added "bahs" ruined entirely serious themes such as the tower theme and the ghost theme. There was entirely no reason to add them.

shockwave527 said:
Here is a list of reasons why the Mario Bros series is going downhill (even though I still plan on buying every title). Feel free to add on to it or post your own comments.
  • Super mario bros was original. SMB2 had an all new format,
  • You are aware that SBM2 USA is a completely different game that Nintendo added Mario characters to. And that the actual Super Mario Bros. is literally the same thing as SMB only with the poison mushroom and more difficulty

Gummy said:
...the same 8 world themes...

That's another problem, here's some ideas I'd have that would be innovative that are NOT what they have
  • City/Wario City
  • Beach Village/Isle Delfino
  • Pyramid
  • Cave
  • Waterfall
  • Bridge (Like in World)
  • Pipe again (As with 3)
  • Tornado (Pieces moving around inside a giant Tweester)
  • Alien Spaceship
  • Moon (Like in Land 2)
  • Factory (Like in DKCR or like some of the levels in 3D Land)
  • Jungle
  • Fully Underwater/Sunken Ship
  • Ship
  • Peach's Castle/Toad Village
  • Docks
And there could be more! They are nowhere near out of ideas on that front, so why keep the same 8 over and over and over and over?

Also, if they're going to make references, where's Angry Sun?

Baby Luigi said:
I would also like to mention that the added "bahs" ruined entirely serious themes such as the tower theme and the ghost theme. There was entirely no reason to add them.

I know, the new all "bah" theme is going to get really annoying.

Marshal Dan Troop said:
shockwave527 said:
  • Super mario bros was original. SMB2 had an all new format,
  • You are aware that SBM2 USA is a completely different game that Nintendo added Mario characters to. And that the actual Super Mario Bros. is literally the same thing as SMB only with the poison mushroom and more difficulty

• I am aware of that, but 3 and World were also very different.

Please don't triple post. You should merge your posts into one.

Err, please don't triple post...You can simply edit your previous comment if you want to quote others.

Anyways, they're milking the shit out of SMB3 and the raccoon suit/tanooki suit and the Koopalings are about as bland as you can get. Doesn't help that they reused the same music from NSMBW (although NSMBW's castle theme is the best Mario castle theme) and the same worlds over and over.

NSMBU seems promising, somewhat though, as in there seems to be levels that aren't with the Main 8 themes.

Baby Luigi said:
Ah, yes. Could you imagine Lavender Town or the Giygas battle with those?

Magikrazy said:
Baby Luigi said:
Ah, yes. Could you imagine Lavender Town with those?

Someone needs to make this.

shockwave527 said:
Magikrazy said:
Baby Luigi said:

So we can hear how bad it sounds? Ok.

Baby Luigi said:
shockwave527 said:
Magikrazy said:
Baby Luigi said:

So we can hear how bad it sounds? Ok.

Are you volunteering, then? I just think it would be really funny, such a happy noise with such a creepy toon.

Baby Luigi said:
Please don't triple post. You should merge your posts into one.

Also, sorry. I didn't know, thanks for telling me! I merged them.

The forts have been completely vertical in pretty much every New Super Mario Bros. installment. Can't there be any horizontal pathed forts as well?

Also, the forts and castles are often considered to be way too short, as almost all the fort and castle levels have only one area, not counting the boss areas and extra areas of course.

The biggest sin, however, is Bowser's Castle. I mean, it's the final castle level in the game, and yet it's been considered way too short lately.

I want NSMBU to use music from old games but remix. List below

SMW Castle
SM3DL Desert
NSMB Castle

Maybe forts can have the SMW Castle music. I just have a problem with NSMB series music.

Even though some are true, what I concern the most is that the staff again didn't debug the story formula in NSMB2.

What are you talking about we havent even got to play the two newest yet!

YoshiGo99 said:
I want NSMBU to use music from old games but remix. List below

SMW Castle
SM3DL Desert
NSMB Castle

Maybe forts can have the SMW Castle music. I just have a problem with NSMB series music.

The castle BGM from New Super Mario Bros. was pretty much neglected after being remixed for Mario Super Sluggers. It could deserve to have a comeback of some kind.

Majin Buu said:
It went downhill, when they decided to make NSMB2 all about money

We never actually had a game where coins served a bigger purpose than to give you 1-ups, so this sounded like a good way to implement that feature.

Baby Luigi said:
I like the 'bah's. However I have to listen to the new musics yet for a conclusion.

It is becoming a bit monotonous, and I would think after 3DL, they should move towards 3D sidescrollers instead of 2D. That would extend some new life in the format. Perhaps a "2.5" that has a limited third dimension, like maybe a few blocks across, but you're otherwise still just moving left/right.
(Funny, on early NSMB2 presentation videos, they thought some depth was possibly being used with platforms in the background, but it was really just a mini-Mario passage in the foreground!)

Lakituthequick said:
Baby Luigi said:
I like the 'bah's. However I have to listen to the new musics yet for a conclusion.

Actually, I didn't mind the bahs either, but putting them in the tower theme and the ghost house kills it.

The REAL SMB2 was a carbon copy of SMB1.

And remember how everyone said that SMW was just SMB3 in 16-bit?

Yeah, people actually said that.

Back