Why NSMB is going downhill

Super Mario Bros. 2 USA is as real as Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels

Baby Luigi said:
MeritC said:
Actually, I have no problem with the NSMB installments; they're okay in their own rights.

What I DO have an issue with is the musical score for the New Super Mario Bros. 2 game. As I said in another forum, being a Mario music fan who maintains an "arrangement gallery", just hearing the musical score for NSMB2 for the most part is the biggest disgrace to me -- why? Because for the most part, it's nothing but a repeat of the NSMB Wii musical score!!!

/end rant

I would also like to mention that the added "bahs" ruined entirely serious themes such as the tower theme and the ghost theme. There was entirely no reason to add them.

Don't even remind me about that; IMO, that was the worst move ever made in terms of that case. Those themes were so much better without them.

DonnyKD said:
Baby Luigi said:
Super Mario Bros. 2 USA is as real as Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels

No it isn't. It technically isn't even a Mario game.

Yes it is. Accept the fact that it is part of the Mario series. Even in its original rendition, it bears many similarities to Super Mario Bros., including the engine and the way the items work.

I would also like to remind you that Shigeru Miyamoto was more involved in this game than the Lost Levels.

Majin Buu said:
The problem was that it's too easy

There's nothing wrong with being a little easy. Clever level design and other fun stuff outweigh difficulty by a mile.

Which would be great if the NSMB games had clever level design. SMW and SMB3 were basically the peak of both the ideal difficulty level and the best level designs (and Nintendo thinks they can make a new SMB3 just by having the Raccoon Tail...pffft)

Gummy said:
Which would be great if the NSMB games had clever level design.

Implying that they don't.

[quote author=Baby Luigi]
Yes it is. Accept the fact that it is part of the Mario series.[/quote]

Can't accept something that's not true.

And no, SMB2 USA bares no resemblance to SMB1 AT ALL.

And it doesn't matter what Miyamoto was involved in. He was involved with Skyward Sword, is that game part of the Kirby series?

Boidoh said:
WTF? Your not getting it are you?

It didnt have to bear any resemblance to SMB, point being its a mario game. It has "Mario" in the title. It is even in Super MARIO All Stars. So why are you saying things that arent true.
Going by his logic, Birdo, Shy Guys, Pokeys, and Bob-Ombs are not Mario characters, because they first appeared in Super Mario Bros 2, which is apparently not a Mario game.

Magikrazy said:
Boidoh said:

It didnt have to bear any resemblance to SMB, point being its a mario game. It has "Mario" in the title. It is even in Super MARIO All Stars. So why are you saying things that arent true.
Going by his logic, Birdo, Shy Guys, Pokeys, and Bob-Ombs are not Mario characters, because they first appeared in Super Mario Bros 2, which is apparently not a Mario game.

I dont even know why he thinks it isnt a mario game.

Boidoh said:
Magikrazy said:
Boidoh said:

I dont even know why he thinks it isnt a mario game.
Me neither. If it wasn't a Super Mario Bros. game, it would just be called "2".

I still love NSMB as it is. Wii was kinda a let down, but 2 looks absolutely amazing, and U looks pretty good as well.
But they may be making things so similar because NSMB sells very well. And I'm pretty sure it won't stop just yet.
But I do have to say I would enjoy a bit more variety with the games.

DonnyKD, as you correctly recall, SMB2: USA did begin as a separate game. However, Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic was not planned for export, and was written off early on as a throwaway licensed game for a TV channel.

Worldwide, it was transformed into a completely separate game. Yes, they shared sprites, music, and a game engine, but SMB2: USA had its own characters, power-ups, story, bosses, and rules that made it distinct from YK: DDP. That alone, in my opinion, is enough to have SMB2: USA as a real Mario game.

you don't know how long that took to type with my 3DS.

Toad85 said:
DonnyKD, as you correctly recall, SMB2: USA did begin as a separate game. However, Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic was not planned for export, and was written off early on as a throwaway licensed game for a TV channel.

Worldwide, it was transformed into a completely separate game. Yes, they shared sprites, music, and a game engine, but SMB2: USA had its own characters, power-ups, story, bosses, and rules that made it distinct from YK: DDP. That alone, in my opinion, is enough to have SMB2: USA as a real Mario game.
Yeah I agree. I always considered it a real Mario game even if it is very similar to Doki Doki Panic. :P

Toad85 said:
you don't know how long that took to type with my 3DS.
LOL.

I just played all the way through to the final boss in NSMB2, so I'm going to type up a short review of the game.

Firstly I'll say that the originality soundtrack was awful. Overall it was okay, but I haven't found a single song in the game that is entirely new. They were all taken from SMB, NSMBW or SM3DL. To make it worse, many of these songs were given extra "bah"s or other scat vocals, ruining songs that were originally my favourites in the Wii game. The best song in the game is the music used during the Reznor fights, which is an epic remix of the SMW boss battle theme, making it the best song in the game. Music: 2/10

The graphics looked really good on the 3DS screen, and even better on a 3DSXL. Again, most of the graphics were taken from NSMBW, but they look really good for a handheld system. The 3D is horrible, however. It doesn't give any depth at all, and it also blurs the background making my eyes hurt. The foreground doesn't look any different in 3D mode, so it's pretty much a waste. Visuals:6/10

The gameplay, for the most part, is identical to the previous NSMB games. The only real difference is the underwater physics have been slightly improved, allowing the ability to control the sinking speed as well as slowly move in any direction by holding A or B and moving the circle pad in any direction. For the powerups, only the Gold Flower makes its debut here, which is a shame for a NSMB game. It also wears off at the end of a level, similar to Yoshi in the previous game. It can be used in any level by having one in the item backup. Mini Mario is never really used at all, Mini Mushrooms can only be found in Toad Houses, much like the Blue Shells. The Mega Mushroom makes a return, but it is also very rare, and doesn't give 1-Up Mushrooms for destroying things, nor do Coins or Goombas fall from the sky from Ground Pounding. The multiplayer isn't much different from the regular game, however the way the both screens scroll with only one player, despite there being 2 different screens in play ruins the whole feel of it and makes the game hard to play, especially when the screen doesn't at least zoom out. Gameplay: 8/10

Overall, it was a pretty good game, but can someone really sell it for $70? This game really isn't worth that much, since it's more of
a game for the fans to keep fans busy while NSMBU is still in development. Total: 5/10
So yeah, it's a sign that Nintendo needs to come with a new innovative idea for a Mario game, like they did with SM64 and SMG.

EDIT: I found a Mini Mushroom outside of a Toad House, so ignore how I said Mini Mushrooms don't appear at all.

Nintendo doesn't need to do anything these games are doing exactly what they are supposed to do sell. All you people bitch about it but how many of you are going to get it? the answer prolly between 80-90% of you.

Alright, we don't even know if NSMBU is going to be good. Now settle down.

Alright, maybe NSMB2was a little too easy, but the main point of it was to get 1 million coins. That gives you decent replay value and a good time so play. Half of you haven't even played it so settle down. Sure they remixed the music but this was developed by newer people that weren't familiar with the series. For what it's worth, It's a decent game. Settle down, yeesh.

New Super Mario Bros. is boring as hell and they never create something original. It's always a newer version of the last game, and that's why they all suck IN MY OPINION.

Anser said:
New Super Mario Bros. is boring as hell and they never create something original. It's always a newer version of the last game, and that's why they all suck IN MY OPINION.
How many of them do you own or are planning on buying?

Anser said:

Too bad no one cares about your utterly invalid opinion.

Back