Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Over saturation.

I don't. They'll probably just be more generic pretty girl types because Japan loves that shit.

Like Peach, Daisy, Pauline, and Rosalina?

I'm not a huge fan of how they all practically look the same. We have disgusting ugly male human characters in the form of Wario and Waluigi alongside Mario and Luigi (who arguably aren't designed to be pretty boy types just cute and appealing) while practically all human females are all skinny and pretty.

Of course, I think this is also an industry-wide problem with lack of human female variety of body shapes but let's stick with Mario for now.

fat and twig people typically don't have large bulbous pink noses, handlebar mustaches, whatever those blue outlines on their eyes are supposed to be, constantly grinning and scowling, clogs for shoes, pointy ears, and get blown up by an airship filled with bombs at a tennis tournament in a failed attempt to sabotage against their winners.

Like Peach, Daisy, Pauline, and Rosalina?

I'm not a huge fan of how they all practically look the same. We have disgusting ugly male human characters in the form of Wario and Waluigi alongside Mario and Luigi (who arguably aren't designed to be pretty boy types just cute and appealing) while practically all human females are all skinny and pretty.

Of course, I think this is also an industry-wide problem with lack of human female variety of body shapes but let's stick with Mario for now.
One reason I wish there were non-paper versions of Paper Mario's partners for spin-off's. Or I suppose they could remain paper, that'd be funny, like if in Kart 9 the wind would bend them backwards.
Or I suppose like above stated some more cartoonish unconventionally shaped human women to match the mens silliness.
Because like, I guess for nonhumans we do have Birdo, Toadette, and Wendy.
Now I wish for both paper partners and new humans.

On another note, of the debate on wether or not non-mario characters in MK8D was necessarry,
Wouldn't it be better if Nintendo put in Mario RPG characters into the sports games instead of Link and Isabelle for example?

Last edited:
I agree with that, I think all these Mario rosters are such great opportunities to expose the more niche characters to a wider audience instead of playing it safe and only using pre-established mainstream characters. I think Mario is currently a very recognizable brand, but not a recognizable fandom. Lately it's been trying to remedy that by bringing older characters such as Pauline back into the spotlight, while she's always been more recognizable than the RPG characters, she was more or less replaced by Peach and became exclusive to the Mario vs. DK series. When Odyssey included her, her popularity skyrocketed and made her a mainstay. Who says that wouldn't work with more characters that are currently only in niche spinoffs?

Follow up, imo mario spin-off characters would be better than non-mario characters in sport rosters, however,
the best alternative to non-mario characters would be More Main Mario series generic species characters in the roster.
That was a mouthful.

Reason is I think Nintendo is right that spinoff characters would "reduce the quality by losing the effect of consistency, with the illusion of an OC mess, and turn away casual & newby players"

Buuuut, I don't see the harm of spin-off's being DLC. We know the niche/cult mario rpg fandoms would rejoice!

Except for the fact that there are dozens of Mario spin offs with their own creations and I see no reason why they should give the rpgs any kind of special treatment over them.

Wario and Waluigi are overrated imo
I don't really like them
Waluigi is whatever but Wario ain't overrated.

Wario ain't overrated.
He seems decently popular and I don't like him. At least he's overrated in my opinion. But I don't really play a lot of games that feature him so I can understand why it is that I don't like him when some other people might.

I feel he's underrated, how many consoles ago was his last platformer? I don't like how he's been reduced to a minigame mascot.. the only thing I really like about Warioware is the cutscenes and manuals, or really everything but the minigames xD

There are a lot of unique human players in the old golf and tennis games, too.
MGAT_group.jpg

Yeah, have fun balancing that with all the main stays.

And that's still not including the other dozen spin offs that made their own stuff.

Yeah, have fun balancing that with all the main stays.

And that's still not including the other dozen spin offs that made their own stuff.
I mean Mario Super Sluggers currently has the largest roster of any game at around 70 characters counting costumes, and that was in 2008. Over a decade later I'm sure making a bigger roster that lets everything balance out like that isn't out of the question. It'd be cool as a "let's pay tribute to all these series" kinda thing.

Granted we haven't gotten a lot of sports spin-offs lately aside from Mario Tennis Aces so idk what kind of game they would make to fit such a large roster.

Tangentially related but I miss Mario Strikers. Those games had a really unique aesthetic and the characters' personalities really showed.

i'd throw my support behind them so i'll also beat them up in the game's battle mode and you can enjoy playing as them

Fortune Street opened my eyes to how to improve Mario Party. ( I have not played 9 or 10 so correct me if I'm wrong that MP hasn't done this yet)

Playable character dialogue, and, manual movement for every space. Dialogue I'm sure everyone understands as it adds charm.
So I'll explain why I feel manual movement for every space would be better, the characters do gymnastics through the boards, rather quickly, it's entertaining sure, but I always felt I had too little control of their movement. IRL board games people often have their pieces walk along the board with their hand, it's just more engaging that way. MP take note!

I'm aware they did an experiment of this on an open movement board for the 3ds, I think they should have took the FS direction though, to keep it more Board Game esq.

*update*
And add every Character having a different CPU playstyle!

With all of this, even single player becomes inherently fun~

Last edited:
Back