Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I think part of the reason the plot of SPM is played straight is because it's satire on different literary cliches and isn't supposed to be taken seriously

I think the satire is pretty poor. There's riffing on literary cliches, and there's just using them, in which I feel Super Paper Mario really does feel like the latter. It also has mood whiplash, in that it attempts to keep the humor from previous Mario series: you simply cannot have a scene with O Chunks farting away and the next scene with characters seriously talking about destroying the world with an ancient prophecy.

Super Mario Advance remains the king of voice acting in a Mario game, because not only are the playable characters voiced, the bosses are also voiced. For example when a character carried a crystal, they said "A crystal!". The best part is that they said something instead of making grunts and noises! Sadly the follow-up Mario Advance games didn't have the extensive voice acting that the first one got, since for example bosses never made any quips.

Thank you for reading.

toad got the worst voice in that game though lmao he screeches in like. every single voice clip
im glad it seems to have gone smoother since
but yeah all these phrases themselves is pretty neat. wish more games had something like that and sunshine

They could have removed the third time traveling back to the Creepy Steeple, since it didn't really add anything. But when playing as fake Mario going back to the town, it is a nice bit of challenge in battles since there's no partners. I played the game so much I could actually avoid the Crazee Dayzees even in the tight spaces most of the time.

.I prefer the Mario and Luigi games to Paper Mario Yes, Mario & Luigi > Mario + underdeveloped partner
.Yellow Gooigi is the best Gooigi Yellow Gooigi is cool even though I prefer green
.Boodonkulus should be a regular in Mario Spin-offs ...I feel like there's some joke going over my head right now because there's no Boodonkulus on the wiki

Last edited:
The voice clips in Mario Party 1 and 2 are AWFUL.

Luigi and Wario don't have their italian accents.

Instead Luigi has a screechy voice that sounds more like a blooper.

The voice clips in Mario Party 1 and 2 are AWFUL.

Luigi and Wario don't have their italian accents.

Instead Luigi has a screechy voice that sounds more like a blooper.

Luigi and Wario were not voiced my Martinet yet at the time, he would start voicing them in the Mario Party series starting with Mario Party 3

Martinet did voice Luigi and Wario in the international versions of Mario Kart 64 a few years before Mario Party 1 and 2 were out. I wonder why they didn't reuse the voice clips from MK64. Although I don't really mind the alternate voices for Luigi, Wario, Peach and Toad in MP1 and 2.

Character requests is the last thing that should be competitive yet it constantly is, what should be a simple matter of "I like 5-Volt, I would like her in Mario Kart" becomes a debate on if she sucks or not, why is there is so much friction over simply wanting something? Your wants are not in danger because someone wants something else? This whole nature makes disccusions of Mario spin offs and Smash tiring and toxic, when there is no good reason why, enough of this assholery

Character requests is the last thing that should be competitive yet it constantly is, what should be a simple matter of "I like 5-Volt, I would like her in Mario Kart" becomes a debate on if she sucks or not, why is there is so much friction over simply wanting something? Your wants are not in danger because someone wants something else? This whole nature makes disccusions of Mario spin offs and Smash tiring and toxic, when there is no good reason why, enough of this assholery

Wait 5-Volt is a girl?

Also mario is good, matpat bad.
It's a common opinion on this forum to highly disagree with "Mario is mental". But honestly, the reason "Mario is mental" got so popular wasn't that it's a novel idea, it's because it's a seemingly convincing and authoritative video that confirms what people have been arguing about Mario. But if you think about it more, there's a lot of context left out (Bowser's evilness for deploying and exploiting the Koopa Troop; Mario's own goals which is saving someone, a big name ruler of his home town whose kidnapping endangers everyone in the world, and the Koopa Troop being devoted obstacles to that goal, Mario's dreams showing Peach to be flying and free, Luigi a better jumper than him, Toad being stronger than him) while downplaying Bowser's personality, overstating Mario's actions (c'mon, it's a kid's cartoon game, the Koopas and Bob-Ombs and Bullet Bills and Goombas will be fine; Yoshi is fine). Mario can act like a smug ass when he's jealous of Luigi getting a trophy, but this is Mario being overbearing on Luigi and it's totally one-off.

Back