Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I don't like either N64 Rainbow Road tracks, just how I don't like either N64 Yoshi Valley tracks.

N64 tracks can be so awful for some reason.

Saltman said:
Me thinks you mustn't like Mario Maker that much then.

Actually I like it just fine as it feels and plays well.

You don't have to like Mario Maker to like SMBX anyway, since the game can be played simply with episodes posted online. I guess you could do the same in Mario Maker, but the level editor is way easier but a bit more restricted.

Though I also like the move pool (sorta) I mean you can throw things upward, diagonally or right in front of you, or you can just put them down. There's also way too many different kinds of Yoshis, new items, and Link himself has a moveset just for holding buttons while jumping or crouching.

Mario Kart 8's battle mode is better than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Renegade Roundup.

Wario's Woods should have had more iterations like Dr. Mario and to a lesser extent, Panel de Pon, because it's a brilliant competitive puzzle game, especially the SNES one. It never had a chance to be developed as a 4-player game, which is too bad. I would also like to remove Wario from the title and put the true star of the game in, which is Toad.

Thank you for reading.

Cloudtop Cruise is one of the weaker Mario Kart 8 tracks. Sure, it has nice visuals and the music referencing Super Mario Galaxy was a nice touch but otherwise it's difficult to drive on and, adding to that, some of the turns here are atrocious (like part of the airship portion of the course). Otherwise, I don't know, I'm just not a huge fan of levels with cloud aesthetics (hence why most of my favorite SMG[2] galaxies were the ones with a space background or at least something different than clouds).

I don't like how most of SMG2's backgrounds were clouds. I prefer the Mario Galaxy ones, that makes you actually feel like you're in space.

I also love how the Melty Molten background, while it creeped me out as a kid, is actually in 3D. Now I am curious whether or not you can actually take Mario to it if you disable the boundaries. Do you clip right through it (Which I assume is probably the more likely case) or is it actually programmed like lava?

Pretty sure it's just a skybox and wouldn't have lava programmed for it. Sometimes, they do create filler stuff with working game mechanics (all of Mario Kart Wii's courses you drown in if you go past the boundaries of the course for example), though, so it's entirely possible that it may burn you.

I really despise Mario Kart 64 lol

I remember playing it with 3 other people in various birthday parties and stuff. Fun. I used to win a lot too because nobody knew how to drift lol.

At least MK64 has good music tho (Rainbow Road). SMK's music is bad, just like the sprites and courses and, well... everything except for DK JR.

Honestly, despite never played Super Mario Kart, I can easily say it's the worst due to various things:

1. No Wario
2. No character voices
3. Extremely lackluster map variety
4. Barely any sound effects or impact, especially when driving on speed boosts
5. Lol music
6. Screen is always split even in single player
7. CPUs who spam infinite items at you
8. Only two players max
9. Hideous sprite-work (though the kart rotation sprite-work is actually extremely well animated)

I think I'd rather play Mario Kart 64. At least in that game, I can make Lakitu drop Wario through the bridge in Frappe Snowland an indefinite amount of times.

I think y'all are being unfair to SMK.

Sure it was long since surpassed but for it's time it was quite something.

in Mario Kart 64's case, there are far superior racing games then

Mcmadness said:
I think y'all are being unfair to SMK.

Sure it was long since surpassed but for it's time it was quite something.

In today's case, I have no reason to play it hence why I have no interest in it at all.

I think even if Super Circuit is technically better than Super Mario Kart, it's worse compared to what existed at the time. Once 3D gaming emerged, Mario Kart didn't need to go handheld until handhelds could support 3D gaming. Super Mario Kart gets a pass because it was cutting-edge at the time, but once the series went 3D it shouldn't have turned back. I think Super Circuit's cool track themes would've been better off debuting in say Double Dash or DS. Would've given them more freedom of layout design, in addition to the gameplay actually feeling even a slight bit immersive or believable.

Also I find MK64 more enjoyable than both these games just from the 3D alone. Maybe it's because I started with that game and never got used to Mario Kart without 3D. But I really can't have fun with the 2D games, Kart just works so much better with 3D capability. But that said, Super Mario Kart wasn't bad for its time.

That didn't stop Mario Kart Super Circuit from being a success on the GBA (being the fourth bestselling game on the GBA as of 2009, being beaten out only by the mainline Pokemon games), nor did it stop it from receiving favorable views on Metacritic, receiving a 93 on 24 reviews. If anything, it was a smart idea to release a Mario Kart for the Game Boy Advance, because releasing a quasi-3D Mario game on a GBA was pretty darn cutting edge for the time (besides, it didn't take until Double Dash to have rendered scenery objects like the racers and items anyway). I also think Mario Kart 64 controls like hot garbage, 3D or not. A lot of the BS from those games like slipping out if you drift a certain angle and cryptic drifting mechanics I'm glad are gone by the same Double Dash came out.

I do agree that racing in general is much better in 3D, at least when the camera angle is behind than top-down. They're pretty much all designed that way to begin with, so real 3D would beat out fake 3D and hence I'd prefer playing most of those games today rather than the 2D ones.

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special said:
in Mario Kart 64's case, there are far superior racing games then

I was more into Podracing than Mario Kart 64

Blooper was a good addition for the Mario Party roster, and I'd love to see him return someday.

NSMBW is my favorite 2D Mario platformer.

I prefer the modern grey Thwomps over their SM64 counterpart.

Pheromosa said:
Blooper was a good addition for the Mario Party roster, and I'd love to see him return someday.

I prefer the modern grey Thwomps over their SM64 counterpart.

Weirdly enough, I have exactly the same opinions on those subjects.

Kirby of the Stars said:
Pheromosa said:
Is there anything besides originality that makes you choose it over NSMBU? Because IMO, NSMBU is superior in practically every way. NSMBW is my second-favorite 2D Mario, though.

imo NSMBU was released in a period where I had NSMB burn-out, so that impacted my enjoyment of the game. not to mention it was released in a time period where far superior 2d platformers in its style with 4 players came out like Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Rayman Origins / Legends, so NSMBU felt outdated compared to them. It's good NSMBU took steps to improve its gameplay but it didn't go far enough and still remained too cookie-cuttery.

Back