Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Princess Mario said:
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team art style is the best in the series.
Agreed.

Also, another opinion of mine (unpopular or not): Dream Team has the best overall soundtrack in the entire Mario franchise.

Mario needs to develop a new style for orchestrated music. Good Egg Galaxy, Sky Station Galaxy, and Cascade Kingdom all follow a formula when it comes to music, so I think that's partially a reason I was so unimpressed with Cascade Kingdom.

The orchestral music style is like this for...most of the orchestral pieces they did, or at least their most promoted, well-known ones that reused the most, and it got extremely repetitive. An energetic part, a calm part, and then a climactic part. There's a huge lack of variety in general.

Good Egg Galaxy
Gusty Garden Galaxy
Buoy Base Galaxy
Melty Molten Galaxy
Sky Station Galaxy
Fluffy Bluff Galaxy
Credits theme
Fossil Falls

Don't get me wrong, they're all great themes, but it burns on you after a while. Music like Rosalina's Comet Observatory and the especially underrated Starship Mario are still both a delight to hear because they're unique in comparison to the rest of the orchestrated tunes, which sorta just mesh together. There's more that I missed like Space Storm or Bowser Jr.'s Fiery Flotilla, but they're few and unused in comparison to the ones above, maybe except for the Comet Observatory.

I love the soundtrack of both games, but it's sad that Space Storm's theme isn't brought up that much by the fans.

It is my favorite original theme from Galaxy 2 alongside Clockwork Ruins.

There are a lot of good ones: Bowser's Galaxy Generator, the Final Boss theme, Fluffy Bluff Galaxy, Yoshi Star Galaxy, Fleet Glide Galaxy, Melty Monster Galaxy, Starship Mario, etc. There's a reason I lean towards SMG2 having an even better soundtrack than SMG1, though it's hard to choose between them.

I dislike Yoshi Star Galaxy. If there is one song that evokes no emotion from me, it's that one.

Bowletta being terrible on the other hand.

Thats a faq.

The MK8 version is the one that really isn't dull.

So assuming you're talking about the N64 version, J, you're... safe...

I don't see what besides the music is better in the N64 version... in MK8, they added the Chain Chomps that bounce and create bumps you can trick off of, some boost pads, the train that throws coins, and everything looks nicer with the HD graphics. Don't forget the anti-gravity. To like the N64 version more, you have to have extreme nostalgia bias.

Fawfultheghost64 said:
Dislike is an emotion though.

Uh, no it's not. It's an opinion. I dislike it because it's a utterly boring song.

Also, I really dislike N64 Rainbow Road, Wii U and N64, so there's that.

J & Siph said:
N64 Rainbow Road is an overhyped and dull track.
that's not that uncommon of an opinion

it's even worse in the higher ccs with the cheating ai that underscores how broken and unplayable Mario Kart 64 is today

Lucario said:
I don't see what besides the music is better in the N64 version... in MK8, they added the Chain Chomps that bounce and create bumps you can trick off of, some boost pads, the train that throws coins, and everything looks nicer with the HD graphics. Don't forget the anti-gravity. To like the N64 version more, you have to have extreme nostalgia bias.

Nah, I just like long tracks (Is this an unpopular opinion?). I really only hate that they shortened it in MK8. Everything else is great.

I feel like we could fill up a page or two of this thread with posts that just say that things from Mario Kart 64 aren't good.

Well this is an interesting read on its development...

http://shmuplations.com/mariokart64/

(thanks Glowsquid!)

The truth is, most of the development staff (including myself) loves cars. If we were left to our own devices, I’m sure we would create a game that would be way too hardcore and niche for general audiences. We (and again, myself especially) had to really repress that desire during the development (laughs). It was something we had to constantly remind ourselves of—no, we’re not doing that, and we’re not doing that either—and it was very hard.

They should just make that sort of game one day.

Double Dash is ugly as hell, even when it was new.

Back