Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

J-Yoshi64 said:
The Koopa Troop isn't as innocent as the internet makes them out to be.

Thats not even an opinion. Thats a fact. No matter how much the internet tries to spin it these are bad guys.

1K5VeC8.png

ooooooo look how Mario's the bad guy and the Koopa Troop are the innocent punks

Are even all of these from the Koopa Troop? I mean I don’t think Phantos or any other SMB2 enemies work for Bowser (well, outside the show maybe, but hey)

The internet also acts like all Bowser wants is love.

BBQ Turtle said:
Baby Luigi said:
He's got love- It comes in the form of Bowser Jr.

Speaking of Bowser Jr. and internet's opinions on Bowser, they also act like that he just wants to be dad of the year.

ArchagentEverlasting said:
BBQ Turtle said:
Baby Luigi said:
He's got love- It comes in the form of Bowser Jr.

Speaking of Bowser Jr. and internet's opinions on Bowser, they also act like that he just wants to be dad of the year.
This one kinda bugs me (specifically the "Bowser just wants to give his son/children a mom" concept) since, barring a few specific examples, Bowser has generally not shown much care towards the idea of Peach being a mother to his son/kids. In Super Mario Adventures, the Koopalings didn't care and in Super Mario Sunshine, he specifically told Junior Peach was his mom to manipulate him into kidnapping her. He repays his son by not inviting him to his wedding.

Not to say Bowser's a bad father (or at least, trying his best) nor that Dad Bowser is an inherently bad concept in itself (as stuff "Parental Controls" and that one scene in Paper Jam will attest), but the way the fandom goes about it is just bland, which is annoying since Bowser is one of few villains I can think of whose offspring looks up to them and wants to follow in their footsteps. I guess that's the price that comes with Bowser's goofier portrayals though.

And the less said about the Koopalings, Jr. and Bowser's portrayals as family in fanfiction, the better. That's one of the big things that soured me on the "Koopalings are Bowser's kids" party.

Actually, arguably, it depends on the definition of "innocent"; in terms of the things the Koopa Troop has committed, they aren't innocent whatsoever, and have done multiple terrible things, but in actuality according to Kammy Koopa in the original Paper Mario 64, the Koopa Troop actually has (or had) a noble cause, as she says so herself that the motive of the Koopa Troop is to "have revenge against all who have treated Koopa Troopas poorly", and while it's possible she may have been lying, it would at least explain why the Koopa Troop was so militant even before Bowser fully took the throne.

However this motive has mostly been ignored, likely because most of the Koopa Troop's operations are solely based upon Bowser's interests, so while I wouldn't call the Koopa Troop innocent, I wouldn't necessarily call them guilty either; more or less misguided under Bowser's control.

Still though, I doubt the lowly Koopa Troopas are wringing their hands and plotting their next evil scheme, rather I'm pretty sure that they've simply been manipulated by Bowser, especially because as far as I can tell, only the higher-ups actually acknowledge that what they're doing is evil, while the enemies you fight in normal levels don't really seem to exhibit this.

But hey, that's all speculation, since the enemies typically never talk. From my perspective, as noted before, I don't see the Koopa Troop as innocent or guilty, just misguided. If anything, I think Bowser is the most guilty out of all of them.

And even then, Bowser isn't truly heartless as proven by how he treats Jr., and while I'm pretty sure that Bowser's desire for Peach isn't solely because of love, the fact that it was confirmed in his diary, also in the original Paper Mario for the N64, that he had a crush on her and wanted to steal her from Mario, likely plays a part in some form.

Although given Paper Jam, all of this could just be limited to the Paper Mario series, so who knows for sure.

Or, that could have just been her way of twisting how they always get their asses kicked by Mario as some kind of unjustified punishment despite their actions completely warranting it.

Not to mention that it's kinda hard to claim that they are being "manipulated" when Bowser is extremely blunt about what he does and how much fun he has doing it.

The Koopa Troop's characterization varies from standard mooks to brothers-in-arms to punch-clock villains. Certain games even go back and forth as to whether or not there are civilian enemies or if all the mooks work for Bowser (Classic Paper Mario was an example of the former). Either way, I wouldn't put too much stock in what Kammy says.

TheCapeLuigi said:
but in actuality according to Kammy Koopa in the original Paper Mario 64, the Koopa Troop actually has (or had) a noble cause, as she says so herself that the motive of the Koopa Troop is to "have revenge against all who have treated Koopa Troopas poorly", and while it's possible she may have been lying
nah, Bowser's minions are just very useful idiots

Mcmadness said:
Or, that could have just been her way of twisting how they always get their asses kicked by Mario as some kind of unjustified punishment despite their actions completely warranting it.

Not to mention that it's kinda hard to claim that they are being "manipulated" when Bowser is extremely blunt about what he does and how much fun he has doing it.

and while it's possible she may have been lying

I already mentioned the possibility of this, and considering it's Kammy, it's very well likely. I was just saying that people might have their reasons for thinking that "the Koopa Troop are the good guys" and personally I don't like to think that the Koopa Troop are all that bad, but considering my favorite type of Bowser is the kind you hate, my opinion probably doesn't mean all that much.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with twisting things around sometimes and saying "maybe the good guys aren't so good after all"/"maybe the bad guys aren't so bad after all", and I think it's pretty cool when people try to analyze things from both sides of a fictional conflict.

There is analyzing things, and then there is pointless speculation on a subject we already have answers to.

I'm not completely sure if there's such a thing as pointless speculation because some people actually consider these things simply for the sake of looking at things in a different perspective instead of actually reaching an answer to a question or a goal, and while I prefer the latter, I don't mind the former and I say that if people want to think about things in a certain way, then let them.

Besides, since there's inconsistencies in exactly how the Koopa Troop and Bowser himself are portrayed, there's not always a clearcut answer, because on one hand you could have them doing insanely evil things, like trying to take over the galaxy, while on the other hand you could have the Koopa Troop and Mario interacting with very little aggression, so I think there's still room for people to speculate, but that's just me, I guess.

GmanSir said:
I don't think Yoshi should have been a lightweight in the early years of spin-offs.
Actually, you're right. It doesn't make sense considering Yoshi can carry Mario.

I like the SMW and SM64 Bowsers and don't think SMRPG is ugly at all.
*Insert jdumb joke about pitchforks and torches here*

You're not playing Mario Kart right when you don't play it in 200cc

Nyrie said:
i still prefer galaxy over odyssey

Me too... well, tbh I don’t know which of them is better right now, they just seem to occupy the same place in my heart. Love them both the same.

Back