Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

The Phantom is my favorite vehicle in the Mario Kart series.

I'm one of the few that doesn't actually hate the car system (at least in terms of Mario Party 9 cuz I haven't played 10 yet). While like others, I still prefer the classic formula, I still think it has some merits to it. For example, you could potentially screw over whoever goes after you by getting a low roll before some Mini Ztars so you have them run into them instead, having them lose a bunch of Mini Stars. It's the little things like that that make it satisfying in the long run.

UltraMario said:
I'm one of the few that doesn't actually hate the car system (at least in terms of Mario Party 9 cuz I haven't played 10 yet). While like others, I still prefer the classic formula, I still think it has some merits to it. For example, you could potentially screw over whoever goes after you by getting a low roll before some Mini Ztars so you have them run into them instead, having them lose a bunch of Mini Stars. It's the little things like that that make it satisfying in the long run.

Same, I enjoyed it in 10 but haven't played 9 yet.

Mario works best when it works by the idea of Less is more.

In terms of platformers, I kind of liked it when it's Mario, Peach and Bowser as the recurring characters, as seen in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, where Luigi is absent. I guess it's my preference to solo play speaking, but it feels like I can concentrate on the adventure better when Mario's the only one playable. Not that I dislike Luigi, it's just that I find that only acceptable when the game is multiplayer, such as 3D World and the New Super Mario Bros. series.

I am hoping that Mario Odyssey continues this trend. (Probably won't happen, because at this point Luigi is popular)

Thanks for reading.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I like single player games with more character options and unique abilities for each. I also wish they would bring Wario back into the main series, this time alongside Waluigi.

When multiple characters are playable, I do kinda wish Mario was given his own stand out trait/ability instead of getting the jack of all trades treatment all the time.

It was the case in super paper Mario though, where only he could flip to 3D. Concerning my opinion on this, however, well all I can say is some games are better off with just Mario.

Koopd Guy said:
It was the case in super paper Mario though, where only he could flip to 3D. Concerning my opinion on this, however, well all I can say is some games are better off with just Mario.

I know, but what I mean is a ability that feels like a extension of his natural abilities (I.E.: a new type of Jump or something) rather than a move that was bestowed upon him by Bestovius for the duration of Super Paper Mario (And the Green Energy Plant in Color Splash).

J-Yoshi64 said:
And in SM64DS, he was the only one who could wall jump. He also had his exclusive Power Flower form, Balloon Mario.

Yeah but Luigi gained the ability to wall jump in Super Mario Galaxy meaning it's no longer exclusive to Mario.

Fawful & Cackletta said:
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I like single player games with more character options and unique abilities for each. I also wish they would bring Wario back into the main series, this time alongside Waluigi.

Same here, but in my case, I really couldn't care less that "it feels more of an adventure when you have fat plumber guy as the only playable guy". For me, in regards to story vs gameplay, gameplay wins by a long shot, which explains why pretty much my Top 5 favorite video games have little to no story at all and why story comes last when I think of video games I like that happen to have more story. So if more characters are usable, they are an extra gameplay element, even if they don't actually add anything different to the game, and I like that.

But if you want to make individual characters have different strengths and weaknesses, keep in mind that level design is compromised. Hell, with 3D World's multiplayer AND character unique abilities, I think a lot of elements had to be cut in order for the level to not fall apart as a result of extra players. Even so, some levels are pretty miserable enough with multiple players, looking at you, Flipswitch Hell.

I think I generally enjoy play single-player Mario platformers more than multiplayer, which is probably one of the reasons I enjoyed SM3DL more than SM3DW. However, I do like being able to play as Luigi, but I don't know about other characters.

The Blue shell (or Spiny shell, as MnSG gets disturbed when they call it blue) is one of the best Mario Kart items.

J-Yoshi64 said:
I think the Super Horn is cheap
i guess but it's rare to actually have one to use on a blue shell, usually you either have to use it on a red shell (which is harder to time and can more easily be done too early or too late), or lose it to lightning or a Boo before a blue shell comes into play.

Is it bad if I said that the Boo item should not have returned to Mario Kart? I mean it can end up stealing your only defenses against Red Shells and Spiny Shells.

I think it just should've been tweaked so that it can only steal things you have not held behind you yet. So it can steal a shell or banana that is in your inventory but not being dragged, but if it tries to steal from you when you're dragging it, it'll either steal your second item instead or fail to steal anything. This would obviously not apply to things that automatically rotate around you like triple shells/bananas but it would be a start.

More on my opinion on Super Mario Galaxy. It's very overrated. Plus, looking back on it, it really wasn't that good.

I find Mario Kart 8 Deluxe overrated already.

Back