Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Toads DO have visible teeth. In the box cover of Game & Watch Gallery 4, Toad is visibly shown clenching his teeth in frustration. On noses, I guess Toads CAN smell, but their nostrils just aren't drawn because it would look ugly. Mario is hardly ever seen with nostrils.

I think human/human-like characters in Strikers Charged have a shared skeleton model, which are just modified to fit their build. Daisy's skeleton looks similar to this.

If he asks me if I want to Barrel I'll grind him to dust.

Super Mario Sunshine is the worst 3D Mario platformer.

Borderline unpopular, I guess, but people seem to forget about levels like the Panchinko one, which, in terms of game design and physics, is broken. Galaxy does have its share of crap, but nothing on the same level of "wow how did that make past quality control" that Sunshine had. Galaxy 2, while a rehash, still had functional levels.

idk looks like Sunshine has more fun moments than Galaxy 2 though.

Galaxy 2 made me groan at Ice/Lava level #487489578497 and Original Galaxy Element #40985045904374908

This is gonna sound petty, cause it is, but it gets on my nerves Daisy is portrayed as having lighter skin than Peach
It's just not right. It wasn't even like that in her initial appearance in SML.

I also despise Biker Wario being shown as the main Wario :rolleyes:

superlumiella said:
This is gonna sound petty, cause it is, but it gets on my nerves Daisy is portrayed as having lighter skin than Peach
It's just not right. It wasn't even like that in her initial appearance in SML.

I also dislike how pale Daisy looks nowadays, especially in Mario Super Sluggers.

i was about to say that the minigame would be beneficial in team battles until i realized mario party 1 and 2 don't have team battles

meh

Striker Mario said:
Super Mario Sunshine is the worst 3D Mario platformer.

Borderline unpopular, I guess, but people seem to forget about levels like the Panchinko one, which, in terms of game design and physics, is broken. Galaxy does have its share of crap, but nothing on the same level of "wow how did that make past quality control" that Sunshine had. Galaxy 2, while a rehash, still had functional levels.

I don't really get why you dislike Galaxy 2 so much.

Sure, it is a bit of a shameless cash-grab, but it actually has effort put in and does what is should as a sequel. New levels, new power-ups, new enemies and new music are all there, it only shares the graphics and engine. Since it is on the same system as its predecessor, that makes sense. It's in the same level as games like Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam and Kirby: Planet Robobot, which do the same thing. The only real difference with those games is that Galaxy 2 is a bit less creative.

Also what are your thoughts on New Super Mario Bros. 2/U? You've probably said it before, but I can't remember. Actually I'm pretty sure that we've had this conversation about Galaxy 2 before but eh.

I actually like Galaxy 2. I mean sure, it reuses assets, but that's not always bad if you do something good with it. It's expanding on a past concept.

Zelda MM did it with OoT and it's glorious.

Ninelevendo said:
I don't really get why you dislike Galaxy 2 so much.

Sure, it is a bit of a shameless cash-grab, but it actually has effort put in and does what is should as a sequel. New levels, new power-ups, new enemies and new music are all there, it only shares the graphics and engine. Since it is on the same system as its predecessor, that makes sense. It's in the same level as games like Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam and Kirby: Planet Robobot, which do the same thing. The only real difference with those games is that Galaxy 2 is a bit less creative.

Also what are your thoughts on New Super Mario Bros. 2/U? You've probably said it before, but I can't remember. Actually I'm pretty sure that we've had this conversation about Galaxy 2 before but eh.
It doesn't deserve the praise it gets. The new assets add nothing to the gameplay and there are a crap ton of reused concepts. Planet Robobot at least had a completely different theme going for it, though the gameplay is indeed very similar to the predecessor. Not to mention, it had mechs, which add far more to the gameplay than Yoshi or whatever. Paper Jam, I haven't played it, but I do think Paper Mario adds much more to the gameplay than anything in Galaxy 2, so there's that, despite its graphics.

I don't like either New Super Mario Bros. 2 or U that much, but I'm going to have to get to know New Super Mario Bros. U a little better because I'm working with a mod team responsible for Newer Super Mario Bros. U. I'll probably learn to appreciate that game more.

FrozenDragon150 said:
I actually like Galaxy 2. I mean sure, it reuses assets, but that's not always bad if you do something good with it. It's expanding on a past concept.

Zelda MM did it with OoT and it's glorious.
It doesn't really expand on the past concept. All it does is rehash them and add some. It strikes me as running out of ideas and a coattailing cash-in. It would've been a better game if Galaxy simply didn't exist.

Majora's Mask had a completely different set of gameplay, with masks and the time limit adding more to the gameplay than anything in Galaxy 2.

There isn't a hard line, but I think I can draw some examples.

Adding and expanding
Smash 64 - Melee
Strikers - Strikers Charged
Kirby's Dream Land - Kirby's Adventure
Dark Cloud - Dark Cloud 2
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Super Mario World
Co-Star mode in Galaxy - Co-Star mode in Galaxy 2
Rayman Origins - Rayman Legends
Mario Superstar Baseball - Mario Super Sluggers
Mario Party 2 - Mario Party 3

While rehashing would be New Super Mario Bros. 2, the Dynasty Warrior games, Call of Duty games, Skylanders, Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a whole, they don't do much. It doesn't make them bad games, but I find it weird Galaxy 2 doesn't get criticized for being "safe" and "unoriginal" and "expansion pack at retail price" or "in your face with the previous game" while all those other games likely are.

Probably the biggest difference with Galaxy 2 compared to almost all of those games is that they are on different systems. Galaxy 2 is on the same system, unlike New Super Mario Bros. 2 & U, which copies what was on the previous system instead of trying to do something new at all. With Galaxy 2 they are just re-using assets, with quite a few things they actually tried being creative, the bosses for instance. I'm not saying that Galaxy 2 is as creative as some of the Mario Party games or games like Robobot, I'm just saying that I don't think that you give credit to the creativity that Galaxy 2 does have.

Galaxy 2 improves on the original in numerous ways, such as a faster map system, option to switch to Luigi if you want and Green Stars that aren't the exact same thing twice unlike Super Luigi Galaxy. The other improvements like hub world and power-ups are more based on personal preference, for example I love the Cloud Mario power-up but prefer the Observatory. I think it deserves at least some praise for mostly improving on the original.

It also has the same number of stars as the original (exuding extra modes/Green Stars), which means that it's less of an expansion pack and more of a sequel. Even if it was an expansion pack, doubling the amount of levels and adding new features is deserving enough to be a full price game, at least imo.

We don't really give a damn about "doing crap as Luigi again"

We're twins. We take advantage of it. My twin plays through the game as Mario, I play through the game as Luigi. It's utterly perfect.

2257 said:
tbh even if you dont have your own clone, playing through smg the second time is way more interesting than doing that nonsensical green star drudgery even once

The worst thing about the Green Star hunt is knowing that some Green Stars are placed at spots where you have to risk losing a life to grab them.

MnSG said:
The worst thing about the Green Star hunt is knowing that some Green Stars are placed at spots where you have to risk losing a life to grab them.

That one Green Star from Flipsville provides the page image for TV Tropes's Fake Difficulty article.

Baby Luigi said:
We don't really give a dang about "doing crap as Luigi again"

We're twins. We take advantage of it. My twin plays through the game as Mario, I play through the game as Luigi. It's utterly perfect.
I can relate to that, my sister played the normal file in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and I played the extra mode. A bit different since that game has proper multiplayer, but I can see what you're coming from.

2257 said:
tbh even if you dont have your own clone, playing through smg the second time is way more interesting than doing that nonsensical green star drudgery even once

*BEEP BEEP*

*COMET APPROACHING*

for the 74th f-ing time in a row.

A51_Trooper said:
MnSG said:

That one Green Star from Flipsville provides the page image for TV Tropes's Fake Difficulty article.
1. Jump
2. Spin
3. Ground-pound
4.????
5. Profit.

Back