Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

King Antasma said:
Even goofy, lighthearted cartoons can be serious sometimes. For example Spongebob is normally a goofy, weird show, but the movie actually had a good plot to it (serious and deep moments too) and people loved it.

I don't think that was 'madness's point

I'm pretty sure he likes Thousand-Year Door and Galaxy, both which have those serious moments (like the ending for Galaxy for example). Though the ending for Galaxy was a bit too cheesy for me to take seriously.

Lighthearted, with an emphasis on humour and whimsy, thats how I like my Mario. I feel the M&L series fits this perfectly.

King Antasma said:
Mcmadness said:
Rosalina is a character that I always felt to be rather out of place in a series like Mario.
Why, because she has a decent backstory?
I'd say her backstory, although a bit sad, is still in the end "cliche", but at least it isn't a son's father dying.

Mcmadness said:
Lighthearted, with an emphasis on humour and whimsy, thats how I like my Mario. I feel the M&L series fits this perfectly.

Lighthearted is good and all but honestly some serious stuff from time to time ain't too bad as the mario series is generally not very serious to begin with.

So stuff like rosalina's backstory isnt much of a big deal since its one of the very few serious moments in the entire franchise.

I thought the rosalina storybook thing was dumb.

It just felt hollow to me, like it didn't matter what happened to her in the past because it would never be relevant outside of the book cutscenes in a single game. I'd take it back if they did something substantial with it but I really doubt they will.

Also I really liked having Luma playable instead of Rosalina in Tennis Open just because I always wanted to play as a Luma in a spin-off.

Maki Nishikino said:
I thought the rosalina storybook thing was dumb.

It just felt hollow to me, like it didn't matter what happened to her in the past because it would never be relevant outside of the book cutscenes in a single game. I'd take it back if they did something substantial with it but I really doubt they will.

Also I really liked having Luma playable instead of Rosalina in Tennis Open just because I always wanted to play as a Luma in a spin-off.

I thought it was neat, i mean we dont really get a lot of back stories, i mean sure there are better ways to go about it and other franchises do about it, but it was nice to see the mario series actually try to roll with some darker back story as that.

Zae Eildus said:
Mcmadness said:

Lighthearted is good and all but honestly some serious stuff from time to time ain't too bad as the mario series is generally not very serious to begin with.

Which is what makes Rosalina stick out like a sore thumb.

GalacticPetey said:
It's entirely optional so you can just ignore it if it really bothers you that much.

I am talking about Rosalina in general. Something thats becoming increasingly difficult to ignore.

Mcmadness said:
Zae Eildus said:
Mcmadness said:

Which is what makes Rosalina stick out like a sore thumb.

Not sure how it sticks out as a sore thumb as gp said its entirely optional, it wasnt even mandatory.

So techincally it was your fault all along.

I am talking about Rosalina in general. Something thats becoming increasingly difficult to ignore.

oh no another princess cant ignore that

You guys just don't get it. I'm talking about ALL of her. How she talks, how she caries herself, her personality, her backstory, ALL OF IT. Every single facet of her being is completely out of place in this silly cartoonish world full of whacky characters and its hard to avoid her because Nintendo keeps shoving her into various games.

so what?

She's a popular character for a popular game. She has a big fanbase, and more people want to play as her.

So naturally, she's in various games. I dont get what the deal is, are you like afraid of her?

Heck she may have a serious background but she is just as wacky looking and sounding as the rest of them.

I have no problems with Rosalina herself. I think her backstory thing is dumb but I like having a character like her.

Maki Nishikino said:
I have no problems with Rosalina herself. I think her backstory thing is dumb but I like having a character like her.

The hell happened to your big ass post from before? It perfectly explained my reasoning better than I ever could.

GalacticPetey said:
Yes. How dare we have substance in Mario. It must all be flat and silly.

Because serious is the only way something can have substance.

Mcmadness said:
Maki Nishikino said:

The hell happened to your big ass post from before? It perfectly explained my reasoning better than I ever could.
Because I thought we were talking about the storybook, then I saw you posted saying it was rosalina as a whole you had a problem with so I saw no reason to keep an irrelevant post.

A small part of a character is difficult to simply ignore, but not liking a character as a whole is something that's common in pretty much every series.

Edit: also I'm not saying its wrong to hate rosalina, different tastes and all that. e.g I hate daisy because I find her obnoxious, some people will disagree and call me dumb, I ignore them and we all move on.

Mcmadness said:
GalacticPetey said:

Perhaps, but you're literally asking for nothing serious whatsoever.

It's like you think one serious character or background will destroy the very foundation of the super mario franchise.

Zae Eildus said:
Mcmadness said:
GalacticPetey said:

It's like you think one serious character or background will destroy the very foundation of the super mario franchise.

No, I'm just bitching about a character I hate for the stated reasons, in a topic specifically about doing stuff like that.

GalacticPetey said:
My unpopular opinion is that Mario has become one of Nintendo's blandest and stalest franchises. The games hardly off anything new. Even the Pokemon games add more content between sequals. Mario should really take a note from Zelda. Despite how many Zelda games there are, none of them besides the CD-I games are that bad. They also change up the formula more than Mario does by adding new villains, stories, and characters each game.
But that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Why would you post a fact here?

Mcmadness said:
Zae Eildus said:
Mcmadness said:
GalacticPetey said:

No, I'm just bitching about a character I hate for the stated reasons, in a topic specifically about doing stuff like that.

Well, that's fine.

But you acted like a serious character would ruin the series, or at least, thats what a lot of people saw it as anyway.

Only if it became more prevalent, but that will never happen.

Rosalina's Treasure Tracker (2016)
Rosalina's Woolly World (2017)
New Super Rosalina U (2017)
Super Smash Rosalina (2019)
Rosalina Galaxy 5 (2027)
Rosalina (2030)

Back