Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Captain Levi said:
is that supposed to be an insult or something?

Oh no, just acknowledging how neither of us are convincing the other.

Captain Levi said:
also this conversation is definitely not getting anybody anywhere. I have no wish to partake further in this squabbling as clearly neither of us is going to change the other's mind. as such i'm going to leave this thread and not partake in this pointlessness anymore. good day.
THANK YOU

My unpopular opinion is that Mario has become one of Nintendo's blandest and stalest franchises. The games hardly off anything new. Even the Pokemon games add more content between sequals. Mario should really take a note from Zelda. Despite how many Zelda games there are, none of them besides the CD-I games are that bad. They also change up the formula more than Mario does by adding new villains, stories, and characters each game.

GalacticPetey said:
My unpopular opinion is that Mario has become one of Nintendo's blandest and stalest franchises. The games hardly off anything new. Even the Pokemon games add more content between sequals. Mario should really take a note from Zelda. Despite how many Zelda games there are, none of them besides the CD-I games are that bad. They also change up the formula more than Mario does by adding new villains, stories, and characters each game.

Yeah, I'm leaning to that boat as well. Not to mention everything in the Mario games is trying to cash in on Galaxy's success. Still hate the planetoid hopping for the 3D games.

GalacticPetey said:
Couldn't agree more, this is why I like the RPGs so much, they aren't like that (except Sticker Star but we don't speak of it, ever)

King Antasma said:
GalacticPetey said:
Couldn't agree more, this is why I like the RPGs so much, they aren't like that (except Sticker Star but we don't speak of it, ever)

You just mentioned it, does that count of speaking about it?

GalacticPetey said:

While I agree there is a certain level of staleness at this time, lack of changing the plot and characters isn't what is keeping things stale.

King Antasma said:

Oh don't feed me that crap, the rpgs are as formulaic as any other part of the franchise, the only one that changed was PM and most people hated it for that.

Mcmadness said:
GalacticPetey said:

lack of changing the plot and characters isn't what is keeping things stale.
Using the same tired villains and characters is making things stale. You said it yourself that story doesn't matter in Mario, so changing who the villain is would result in no negative change..

GalacticPetey said:

I agree. Just look at the NSMB series.

GalacticPetey said:
Mcmadness said:
GalacticPetey said:

lack of changing the plot and characters isn't what is keeping things stale.
Using the same tired villains and characters is making things stale. You said it yourself that story doesn't matter in Mario, so changing who the villain is would result in no negative change..

Nor any positive, thus making it pointless.

Mcmadness said:
Oh don't feed me that crap, the rpgs are as formulaic as any other part of the franchise, the only one that changed was PM and most people hated it for that.
The platformers have had Bowser, Wart, Bowser, Bowser, Tatanga, Wario, then Bowser onward until present day.

The RPGs have had Smithy, Bowser, Cackletta, Grodus/Shadow Queen, Shroob princesses, Count Bleck/Dimentio, Fawful/Dark Star, Bowser, and Antasma/Bowser. I see more variety there. Not to mention they have a different story each time.

King Antasma said:
Mcmadness said:
The platformers have had Bowser, Wart, Bowser, Bowser, Tatanga, Wario, then Bowser onward until present day.

The RPGs have had Smithy, Bowser, Cackletta, Grodus/Shadow Queen, Shroob princesses, Count Bleck/Dimentio, Fawful/Dark Star, Bowser, and Antasma/Bowser. I see more variety there. Not to mention they have a different story each time.
You have no idea what a formula is do you.

GalacticPetey said:
It's something new and fresh. I see no problem.
Yeah, with something that probably wouldn't be as good as what we have already. All you are suggesting is change for the sake of change, and thats a dumb idea.

GalacticPetey said:
Bowser's such a blank slate it's impossible to be worse.

Tatanga and Wart say otherwise.

I feel it's the Mario platformers going down, enough with the New Super Mario Bros. games and pseudo 3D games. Either they need to make a Galaxy 3, either they make a completely new one.

This is hardly a unpopular opinion now that most agree with this. The NSMB are too similar to me that I have to make research so I can tell them apart.

I am hoping for more games similar to Super Mario 3d World and Galaxy or like Captain Toad.

Since I have nothing more to do or ran out of non-obvious ideas I am going to say the obvious again, one of my recurring flaws:

“Classic” Yoshi is under-used and needs to return. I am okay if Yoshi switches appearance depending on the game.

Rosalina is a character that I always felt to be rather out of place in a series like Mario.

King Antasma said:
Mcmadness said:
Rosalina is a character that I always felt to be rather out of place in a series like Mario.
Why, because she has a decent backstory?

No, because it takes itself too seriously.

King Antasma said:
Anything that comes close to being deep "takes itself too seriously" right?

Her backstory isn't even remotely ''deep'' her entire character is just this weird thing that takes itself too seriously in a series that largely doesn't take itself seriously, and I don't care for her because of that.

So you don't like serious stories in Mario games

Even goofy, lighthearted cartoons can be serious sometimes. For example Spongebob is normally a goofy, weird show, but the movie actually had a good plot to it (serious and deep moments too) and people loved it.

Super Mario Galaxy's storybook is completely optional anyway, so I dunno why you're complaining

I'm pretty sure I've said many times that I don't like serious in Mario, and I don't care what other series have done.

Why am I complaining? Did you forget what topic this is?

Back