Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

I don't play games he's kidnapped in.

And you wonder why he won't appear :P

I'll make him appear when I have that power.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I don't play games he's kidnapped in.
Is it because Yoshi's the player character?

Well, not exactly but that doesn't help. :yoshi:

It's like why I'm not comfortable playing Luigi's Mansion even though I love Luigi.

Not sure if I've posted this here before, but I'd rank the Mario Party home console games like this, from favorite to least favorite:

Princess Mario said:
It's like why I'm not comfortable playing Luigi's Mansion even though I love Luigi.
But would you be comfortable playing Mario is Missing? :P

I dunno how unpopular this next suggestion is, but Mario Kart Super Circuit has a pretty underrated soundtrack and I am disappointed that Lakeside Park didn't get the MK8 treatment.
Imagine a Big Band version of this:

Parakoopa144 said:
I think MarioKart: Super Circuit is way better than 8 Deluxe.
Super Circuit is my 2nd favorite Mario Kart overall! It was the very first Mario game I ever owned and I fell in love with Yoshi because of that game, so of course it holds a special place in my heart.

The 'rivalry' between Mario and Luigi doesn't really intrigue me as much it seems to for the others in the fandom. I'm not all that invested in finding out who is stronger, who has the better abilities, etc. - mainly because I see them both as working better together, rather than against each other. Of course I will highlight their differences because it what makes them two halves of a whole team, but it's nothing that I see needs to be a competition.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't think the two have some sort of sibling rivalry, but I think it's often oversaturated among the general public, and I much prefer seeing art of the two of them working together than fighting with each other.

Also, the more controversial opinion, Dream Team is my favorite of the M&L RPGs.

I like to see the two of course as their own persons but I keep saying Mario and Luigi play off each other well enough that they're better as characters together rather than separate. I don't like Mario's absence in New Super Luigi U, and I don't like Luigi's (most) absence in Odyssey or Mario vs. Donkey Kong. I rather see Mario with Luigi than Mario with Peach (as in I like seeing siblings more than romantic pairs). I like to see them bickering with each other and having one consider the other de-brotherized, but I like to see more of them being together. Also I am not fond of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon shifting focus away from rescuing Mario and instead tacking on Mario at the end. It feels cheap and it actually reminds me of Tiara's pointlessness in Odyssey, except it's Mario instead. As much as I like Mario and that cutscene at the end... I'm not sure if it's worth it to shoehorn Mario in, and it might antagonize Luigi fans by having them say "oh boy, Mario" and watch him steal the spotlight. I think the Mario & Luigi stuff is why I prefer Mario & Luigi games over Paper Mario.

One thing I like to see in later games is to remove "middle men" like Starlow, have just Mario and Luigi. There's a sense of independence without these dumb "middle men" characters like Toad, Starlow, and Kersti, and people have felt this in Superstar Saga remake. It's clear that people are tired of these characters (or at least of Starlow).

Princess Mario said:
and I don't like Luigi's (most) absence in Odyssey

I absolutely love balloon-boy Luigi and he is adorable as all get out, but I agree with this nevertheless. It would have been much better to have him playable - and not in the instance that he is in SMG, where he's just a bonus after you've already completed the game and you have to do it again. I kind of like how SMG2 handles him, where you can play as him in various levels if you want to and you don't need to beat the game to do so. I'd like to see some kind of co-op in the future as well, or have Luigi important to the story even if he's not playable. At least in SMG1, he actually got some stars for you.

Princess Mario said:
I rather see Mario with Luigi than Mario with Peach (as in I like seeing siblings more than romantic pairs).

.......haha yeah this is me. Mario x Peach is cute and all, but I do feel as though, fandom and otherwise, some of Mario and Luigi's interactions get sidelined in favor of it.

Princess Mario said:
Also I am not fond of Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon shifting focus away from rescuing Mario and instead tacking on Mario at the end. It feels cheap and it actually reminds me of Tiara's pointlessness in Odyssey, except it's Mario instead. As much as I like Mario and that cutscene at the end... I'm not sure if it's worth it to shoehorn Mario in, and it might antagonize Luigi fans by having them say "oh boy, Mario" and watch him steal the spotlight.

That's an interesting take on it, and... To some degree I agree. It would have been more interesting, actually, if we got to play as Mario for a period of time before he's kidnapped, which would still pay homage to the previous Luigi's Mansion while at the same time being derivative in a way that's interesting. We'll see what they do with Luigi's Mansion 3. To be fair, the game does hint at Mario having been kidnapped earlier on, but it's weird it's hinted at to begin with; why didn't E. Gadd tell him earlier?

Princess Mario said:
One thing I like to see in later games is to remove "middle men" like Starlow, have just Mario and Luigi. There's a sense of independence without these dumb "middle men" characters like Toad, Starlow, and Kersti, and people have felt this in Superstar Saga remake. It's clear that people are tired of these characters (or at least of Starlow).

I AM SO TIRED OF STARLOW PLEASE GET RID OF HER I CAN'T STAND HER AND WE'VE HAD HER FOR THREE GAMES PLEASE
I guess they felt like they needed a character to talk for the brothers? But Superstar Saga showed that wasn't really necessary... And some of the strongest scenes in BiS don't have Starlow in them (or have Mario speaking to Starlow rather than having her speak for them, such as the scene where you get Magic Window).

I'm just gonna say that I feel like Starlow play off of Bowser far better than she does with the Bros. I've said it before but Starlow (and I suppose one could assume Kersti) does better when contrasted with characters that can take what they dish out. For Kersti, her arguing with Bowser is hilarious. Her putting down Luigi, not so much.
As for Princess Mario's point on getting rid of middle-men, I'll argue that in Paper Mario (well, modern Paper Mario)'s case the game is pretty lonely as is. That whole thing actually kinda reminds me of the Legend of Zelda an how Link usually has a partner/communication device to help him throughout the game. The problem being, of course, that Mario is more expressive and the cartoony nature of the Mario series means that Mario isn't nearly as impacted by lack of dialogue as Link is.

Borp said:
That statement is factually incorrect. :yoshi:

Is also how I feel when anybody tries to tell me that SPM is deep.

Video games were a mistake.

ThatGuy62 said:
I'm just gonna say that I feel like Starlow play off of Bowser far better than she does with the Bros. I've said it before but Starlow (and I suppose one could assume Kersti) does better when contrasted with characters that can take what they dish out. For Kersti, her arguing with Bowser is hilarious. Her putting down Luigi, not so much.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this point. Starlow and Bowser make for a hilarious duo, and her banter with Bowser is endearing and funny - if there was ever a time I liked Starlow, it was when she bantered off of Bowser.

The problem is she doesn't do that anymore, and instead her banter is "bouncing" off of Luigi... Except it's not, because he's either reduced to tears or moping after what she says, and it's...not very funny or charming. I'm not that sensitive about Luigi being the butt of jokes, but it's a little much, and again, the jokes just aren't funny in order to compensate for the Luigi abuse. I don't think the emotion I'm supposed to be feeling when Starlow is making fun of him is the equivalent of wanting to wrap him in several blankets and punt Starlow up into the atmosphere.

YFJ said:
ルイージ said:
Also, the more controversial opinion, Dream Team is my favorite of the M&L RPGs.
This is the only correct opinion.

:yoshi:

Mcmadness said:
Borp said:
That statement is factually incorrect. :yoshi:

Is also how I feel when anybody tries to tell me that SPM is deep.

Video games were a mistake.

Well, it's not really deep so much as it actually has stakes and a story behind it. Mario stories aren't really that deep in general. But SPM has something you can actually get invested in, substance that I think is more and more lacking nowadays in the RPGs.

More like it distracts with a bunch of generic bullshit.

ルイージ said:
I AM SO TIRED OF STARLOW PLEASE GET RID OF HER I CAN'T STAND HER AND WE'VE HAD HER FOR THREE GAMES PLEASE
I guess they felt like they needed a character to talk for the brothers? But Superstar Saga showed that wasn't really necessary... And some of the strongest scenes in BiS don't have Starlow in them (or have Mario speaking to Starlow rather than having her speak for them, such as the scene where you get Magic Window).
Just have Mario and his friend quip on things. Mario has unused "ANOTHER DOOR!?" and "There's more!?" and "Aren't I done already?" in Sunshine. I'm pushing hard for Mario to talk for once in these games.

Just look how adorable he is when you're pissing him off. :3

C3JyS73.png

ThatGuy62 said:
As for Princess Mario's point on getting rid of middle-men, I'll argue that in Paper Mario (well, modern Paper Mario)'s case the game is pretty lonely as is. That whole thing actually kinda reminds me of the Legend of Zelda an how Link usually has a partner/communication device to help him throughout the game. The problem being, of course, that Mario is more expressive and the cartoony nature of the Mario series means that Mario isn't nearly as impacted by lack of dialogue as Link is.
While Mario sort of makes up for it I still think Mario can work with a talking role (and I want Link to have a role like this too; his Skyward Sword depiction seems like Link is ready for speaking roles too; oh and Link is my favorite Legend of Zelda character, oddly enough, maybe I have a thing for main characters). Anyhow, Paper Mario can be lonely, so why not give Mario some established companions BUT Mario engages more with them rather than just listens and sometimes makes gestures to them, like, well, nearly every other party in other RPG games.

Back