Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Oh I'm not going to make many friends with my opinions!

-The cars in Mario Party 9 and 10 don't bother me.

-Mario Party Star Rush is the best Mario Party to date.

-I love Daisy's "Hi I'm Daisy!" quote.

-Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Tiny Kong, Daisy, Waluigi, Toadette and Birdo are underappreciated.

-Daisy and Waluigi should get games to themselves.

-Rosalina is my least favourite female character. And no, I don't hate her, and this opinion of mine has nothing to do with the attention she's getting.

-The New Super Mario Brothers series is my least favourite series in the Mario franchise.

-Super Mario Sunshine hasn't aged well with me. I could never beat it, and the Piantas weren't very nice.

-I find Funky Kong's voice, even though it can get annoying, funny.

-Mario Tennis Ultra Smash is the weakest Mario Tennis to date.

-I don't like Mario Kart 8's DLC that much.

-Of the Mario Kart series, Mario Kart Double Dash is the one I enjoy the most. Yep, even more than 64, Wii and 8.

If I ever think of anymore, I shall return.

I see some of your opinions being things that everyone thinks of, especially "Waluigi should get his own game".

TheCapeLuigi said:
Mister Wu said:
TheCapeLuigi said:
- The Mario & Luigi games are overrated.
Considering how frequently I see them bashed in favor of the "superior" Paper Mario games (just look at the comments when Risa Tabata said that the only Mario RPG series was going to be the Mario & Luigi series, or Arlo's video on the matter), I don't know if I would use the term "overrated"...

Really? I always saw people saying that Mario and Luigi was the better series. Although, I have to admit, I don't really know how I feel about Mario and Luigi; I thought "I think it's overrated" was the best term, but I think I'm more indifferent about it, probably. I've been considering buying a M&L game, so maybe I'll be able to see how I feel about it then.
Now, we can elaborate on this point, since I now realize what you were trying to say. For some vocal fans Paper Mario: Sticker Star and, on lesser terms, Paper Mario: Color Splash "ruined" the series, so we end up with Mario & Luigi being liked more, especially by the users of this wiki, however if we consider how the individual games were appreciated, I see that Superstar Saga (if you want to start with a game in the series, I recommend to start with this one!) and Bowser's Inside Story were indeed praised, but the other three weren't that much. Partners in Time was often considered, before the 3DS games, the weakest in the series (although I only found it short and lacking in exploration elements and extra quests, and definitely enjoyed the time I had with it); Dream Team was very often bashed because of the many tutorials and, from what I understand, because of many sections that seemed artificially long, only to make the main quest longer; Paper Jam was bashed for many many reasons related to it being rushed, some of which (the story, settings and characters, with a lack of original characters and settings) were even acknowledged by the developers themselves during the Miiverse interview with them (props for admitting that, by the way). And this is without even comparing them to the Paper Mario series. When the comparison starts, you see some odd words coming out, like GameXplain saying in the Paper Jam review that the Mario & Luigi series is more "consistent", or Arlo's video saying that it is more or less about right timing and not about strategy and it is also incapable of being as serious as the Paper Mario games. Maybe it's just me, but outside of this forum I don't find many people who try to compare the best Mario & Luigi games to the first three Paper Mario games in favorable terms.
Ultimately, in my opinion there are people who like this series, but I see mainly two games being praised and any favorable comparison with the best games in the Paper Mario series avoided as much as possible, which makes me think they are being "properly" rated at best. Of course, now that for some vocal fans the Paper Mario series is "ruined", I can see how the opinion of the Mario & Luigi series being better is becoming popular, however I suspect this doesn't come from a reevaluation of the games in the latter series.

TheCapeLuigi said:
Yes, I kind of assumed that was one of the reasons you actually disliked SPM as a whole. I can't criticize that, though, since TTYD's Bowser is a reason for why I don't like TTYD as a whole, either.

Well I have many grievances with the game. Bowser's portrayal is just the extra shit on a shit sandwich.

One thing that I'll never get is why the characters are so stupid to not see through disguises that are extremely obvious. Mr. L is literally Luigi, but everyone acts like they've never seen him before. Even Lord Crump's disguise is very bad.

PM2_LordCrump.jpg

How can you NOT tell that it's Lord Crump.

well honestly thats more of a cartoon thing as the same crap happens in sly 2 where all sly does is where a tuxedo and not take off his mask in the process but no one but his acquaintances recognize him.

Zae Eildus said:
well honestly thats more of a cartoon thing as the same crap happens in sly 2 where all sly does is where a tuxedo and not take off his mask in the process but no one but his acquaintances recognize him.

In a similar dilemma, in Sly 3, Sly acquires disguises that he can use the fool the enemies, but he does have to tell the enemies the correct password to avoid getting attacked. So in a way, the disguise will fail if you get the password wrong.

On an additional note, such disguises can probably fool enemies who are not very intelligent, or are unfamiliar with their adversary. I just don't get how someone like Mario would not know that Mr. L is really Luigi. Is Luigi really that forgetful?

It didn't bother me with Crump since they make it blatantly obvious and the joke is that the game pretends it's a twist with the dramatic music.

Mr L bugs me however because:
1. it's re-using an old joke
2. The idea of Mario not recognizing his own brother is insulting
3. When Luigi is revealed to be Mr L by Dimentio during his "ultimate show" it's played completely straight.

I guess I just don't get the idea of fooling intelligent people with poor disguises. We all know that Bruce Wayne is Batman, but his disguise is able to cover up his real identity from most normal people and villains. Of course, different Batman installments have different stories.

Mcmadness said:
It didn't bother me with Crump since they make it blatantly obvious and the joke is that the game pretends it's a twist with the dramatic music.

Mr L bugs me however because:
1. it's re-using an old joke
2. The idea of Mario not recognizing his own brother is insulting
3. When Luigi is revealed to be Mr L by Dimentio during his "ultimate show" it's played completely straight.

1. Do you want me to show you a whole list of all the gags and jokes re-used throughout the entire series? Mr. L isn't even the cream of the crop.
2. To be honest, I think it's a pretty cruel now that I think of it. I'm starting to wonder if Intelligent Systems actively dislikes Luigi.
3. I have no idea what you mean by "straight"; I guess you mean that it's serious, and the reveal isn't played out like a joke, as with Crump. But considering the present situation that the reveal was played out in was serious, joking around with it would probably ruin the mood.

Yes I know, I generally dislike re-used jokes unless used in a different way, which they didn't.

And the mood should have never have been so serious to begin with, it's part of why I hate the game so much. Mario should never take itself that seriously.

Mcmadness said:
Yes I know, I generally dislike re-used jokes unless used in a different way, which they didn't.

And the mood should have never have been so serious to begin with, it's part of why I hate the game so much. Mario should never take itself that seriously.

It's ironic, since there are a lot of people who hate the game for being more dramatic than dark, which everyone thinks TTYD is in comparison. Regardless, I'm sure you didn't like the Super Mario Galaxy intro video, if that's the case. Honestly, I could agree.

Although, in most cases, the game isn't really that serious unless you think about it, since one could sum up the Underwhere as "Mario and friends got sent to hell and had to go through a river full of the arms of people who drowned in the lake to save his brother" when the Underwhere's artstyle and a variety of other things make it look more childish, especially with the fact that no one is suffering there, they're all just bored, and hide this darker undertone.

I actually like the opening to galaxy if only on the grounds I like watching stuff get blown up and it fit in with the tone of Mario overall as it was just what we generally see Bowser do but on a larger scale.

It's not like he was killing anyone or trying to destroy the universe. He was just blowing up stuff and trapping toads in crystals.

Sunshine is good in terms of gameplay, but the story sucked. I mean, come on:

-Mario gets thrown in jail because he looks a little bit like Shadow Mario, despite that HE ACTUALLY KILLED THE POLLUTED PIRANHA, YOU IDIOT PIANTAS

-Mario has to do the Piantas' chores as a punishment for something he didn't even do

-Peach is a total idiot through the whole game

-Bowser Jr. is an egotistical prick through the entire game

-Bowser has to follow the stereotypical bad guy trope for the umpteenth time

-FLUDD is overall really boring as a character

And last but definitely not least,

-Voice acting happened

Again, I think the game itself is good, but the story was bad and the characters just feel flat half the time. Oh yeah, and this.

How dare you disturb my family vacation!

I laugh everytime I think of that horrendous line with more horrendous voice acting.

Bob McKenzie said:

How dare you. F.L.U.D.D. is my waifu, and she's the most attractive Mario character of all time. I am certainly offended that you would denounce such a beautiful back-mounted machine as less than a living being, to call her a character. Shameless. I have lost all respect for you.

Jokes aside, I never really played Sunshine, and from what I've seen, either everybody loves it, or everybody hates it. In my honest opinion, I really don't care about whether it's good or bad, and Sunshine is probably just a really mixed game, not a masterpiece, but not a piece of trash either.

Lin said:
That's not unpopular at all though.

I mean yeah, Sunshine doesn't have a good story, but it feels like you're judging it under the same merits of a 30-hour RPG when it's really just a 'mainline' Mario game.

I know, but I'm just one of those people. When it comes to games though, I like everything to be at least mediocre for me to really like it a lot. This one though, a lot of aspects were so bad that it kinda mars my view of it.

TheCapeLuigi said:
Bob McKenzie said:

How dare you. F.L.U.D.D. is my waifu, and she's the most attractive Mario character of all time. I am certainly offended that you would denounce such a beautiful back-mounted machine as less than a living being, to call her a character. Shameless. I have lost all respect for you.

Jokes aside, I never really played Sunshine, and from what I've seen, either everybody loves it, or everybody hates it. In my honest opinion, I really don't care about whether it's good or bad, and Sunshine is probably just a really mixed game, not a masterpiece, but not a piece of trash either.

That's...really not the case because there are a few people on here who are in the middle about it, me included.

Bob McKenzie said:
TheCapeLuigi said:
That's...really not the case because there are a few people on here who are in the middle about it, me included.

Hm, as a newbie to the forums (if my Goomba rank didn't say so) I haven't read very many threads here, especially not ones discussing Sunshine, so most of my opinions are based off Youtube comments (which is a terrible idea in and of itself) and not off the posts here.

Nevertheless, I'm still glad that people's opinion on Sunshine isn't purely black and white. That would cause a lot of problems.

honestly i didnt care about sms's storyline, sure the island is dickish, villains are being villains, and you get to clean up literal shit, but really there are far bigger problems then that of something a platformer never handles well which is the story.

What im getting at here is that sms has great gameplay control but really bad gameplay decisions such as the numerous blue coins, no way to tally which ones you have in the area, too many red coin missions, stupid amounts of wonkey control missions and that god awful chuckster area and the sheer fact that this game has little to no rewards with higher rates of completion.

Like game controls well and feels great with or without the fludd, but jesus christ the 100% portion is done so patheticly poorly in so many ways it far out does some other games ive done even rpgs, which is saying something, thats the real problem of sms not some ignorable story and cinematic features of a genre that doesnt even bother with it most of the time.

If nothing else at least sunshine's cinematics gave us Shadow Moses Mario splitting the fountain water to bring up Mecha Bowser.

And also, how is it that the Piantas can't tell the difference between Mario and Shadow Mario? I mean Shadow Mario is transparent blue all over with glowing red eyes, and Mario, as we all know, isn't transparent in any colour. The more I think about it, the more I believe the Piantas make Donkey Kong look like Einstein by comparison.

These days, I feel Delfino deserved to get covered in that icky paint-like goop.

Plus, why didn't Peach just jump out Mecha Bowser when Shadow Mario revealed himself to be Baby Bowser in disguise instead of listening to his story? And when Baby Bowser called Peach "Mama Peach", my reaction was "I don't see any resemblance!"

And to add to this, I always thought the Boos along with King Boo looked weird in this game. Strange eyes, only a few teeth, and drooling tongues.

Back