Unpopular opinions about the Mario series

Mcmadness said:
Sometimes I wish Mario rpgs never existed.

sometimes i can agree, but i am greatful for paper mario introducing me to the genre.

I also got my introduction from the first paper mario and I like it but I definitely don't have the huge love the other folk seem to.

Zae Eildus said:
you were probably too high on the fact that baby luigi isnt princess peach for once

i'm high on baby luigi in the first place.

i guess his rare appearances are a good thing. it makes me love a game more than ever, because it feels really really special to me

Mcmadness said:
Sometimes I wish Mario rpgs never existed.

Well me too

Maybe all except Partners in Time stopped existing, I'd be fine with that. But Partners in Time did huge wonders for Baby Mario and Baby Luigi that I simply can't ignore, and thus, I can't wish away the Mario RPGs. I'd rather take the bad stigma associated with some of the fans than Partners in Time not being there any more.

Thats fair but goddamn some of these guys are just ridiculous.

tbh i wouldn't want an entire good series gone because of a few obnoxious douches in Obnoxious Douche Land were being obnoxious.

fanbases should be separate from the games you enjoy, most people are more mild-mannered than the really loud guys on game forums

Yeah I know.

This is why some people can't have nice things.

Well ignoring fanbases is key, being a sonic fan and a tales of fan made me realize this years ago, but it can be hard to ignore it at times, especially when there is a new game coming up or being released.

yeah imo all fandoms have rotten bananas, but the Mario RPG fandom is one of the one's that's really out there

like, BIS is one of my fav games but maRioPG's aren't the pinnacle of RPG'S/video games in general, and they're certainly not going to get representation in Smash Bros./Mario Kart/whatever lol

Happy said:
yeah imo all fandoms have rotten bananas, but the Mario RPG fandom is one of the one's that's really out there

like, BIS is one of my fav games but maRioPG's aren't the pinnacle of RPG'S/video games in general, and they're certainly not going to get representation in Smash Bros./Mario Kart/whatever lol

being an rpg nut myself, i see that mario rpgs are a good intro to rpgs, paper mario, smrpg, superstar saga, while entertaining, can only really provide intros to much more thought out rpgs, in otherwords they're not bad, not amazing, but they're okay. But like i said, they're good intros to rpgs, and but that's about as far as they'll ever get.

I dunno, they also have a unique charm to them as well that you can't really find in any other RPG. It's hard to describe.

Baby Luigi said:
I dunno, they also have a unique charm to them as well that you can't really find in any other RPG. It's hard to describe.

I guess it depends on the person in question. While i certainly like paper mario, and i think paper mario beats out all mario rpgs by miles, ive just played better in general.

I feel like mario does other things better then rpgs though such as platforming, sports games, and stuff like that.

Zae Eildus said:
Baby Luigi said:

I guess it depends on the person in question. While i certainly like paper mario, and i think paper mario beats out all mario rpgs by miles, ive just played better in general.

I feel like mario does other things better then rpgs though such as platforming, sports games, and stuff like that.
The charm came from the visual asthetics of the franchise and how they'd often poke fun at genre cliches in a humorous fashion.

Which is why I hate that one game so much as it basically threw that all away.

That being said I wholly agree that MaRPGs are more a jumping on point of the genre, not the pinacle.

I can't really argue with that. In RPG standards, both Mario RPG series have been pretty...bare. All of them have next to no sidequests to speak of aside from very small fetch quests or a trudge through an overly long dungeon. Once you've played through and beaten the story, there's little incentive to go back to it unless you really like, y'know, the playable characters in the game :babyluigi:

Mario is known for having a chock ton of different sports and platformers, but the RPGs tend to be very niche compared to the popularity of them. I guess RPGs could be very niche in the first place, buuuuuut...Mario isn't really known for the RPGs he has.

yeah thats the big issue with mario rpgs is the severe lack of replay value and optional content. There is optional stuff to do, but most of the time its boring as all hell.

Which there could be potential, but so far nintendo and its rpg developers have shown no interest in the matter.

Which could be logical, making good post game or side content in general is not that easy to do, but it doesnt really change the fact that they are failing in it, and without replay value, there isnt much reason to return.

The badge system had potential, but you end up getting the badges in an order anyway, so theres not much around that and besides that the core gameplay has little variety. But who knows, maybe future rpgs will surprise me, but not right now to say the least.

I feel like they are missing some of the more basic things that adds more depth to an rpg. Like a class system.

Wouldn't even be all that difficult, just base them off the various suits and power ups of the franchise.

I play the Mario RPGs only because of the characters, to be honest. But that's a big reason. It's fun to diversify, but I always find myself drifting back to Mario. It's fun liking new characters, but they don't appear in a ton of games like Mario does.

Almost as he's the main character or something :P

I think the thing about the Mario RPGs is that they're likely at least in part catered to those who are new to RPGs and/or kids who haven't played an RPG. (Even if Pokemon is usually considered the "First RPG" slot) So part of the purpose is to see if they start getting curious about other RPGs, even if some don't quite move on that way. That said Mario RPGs especially the first two Paper Marios can be enjoyed by those who aren't even big RPG people. Like I'm hardly an RPG guy myself (I gave Xenoblade a try and got beat hard by one of the first mini-bosses lol, and I haven't even beaten one Pokemon game yet. Though I may change that soon, I just got Pokemon Yellow on 3DS Virtual Console) yet I enjoyed myself with both Paper Mario 64 and Thousand Year Door (Even if it took even those games years for me to actually pick up and finish them, again RPG Scrub here :P)

well if you're an rpg scrub i dont see much problem in it. Rpgs can be pretty hard to get into and even complete, hell it took me a month, a straight month, to beat paper mario the first time.

Although I agree that Mario RPGs are a bit too simple, I like them for usually having a lot of charm and humor, as opposed to some of the other RPGs I've played.

Mcmadness said:
Almost as he's the main character or something :P
My point relates to all video games, not just the Mario series. I don't think any other video game character appears playable so extensively like Mario that for me, it's hard to not miss him when I'm playing other games. And that's a downside I share with a lot of Mario fans: there is no need to diversify your palette since you become so attached to your series. I've tried to, but I don't complete those games and I always try sneaking in Mario references there, if not outright modding them.

One of my unpopular opinions is that I don't like Paper Mario's portrayal at all. While it's not a widespread opinion to say that Paper Mario is an interesting character, people are usually ambivalent about him and tend to focus on the characters around him. Paper Mario is dull, bland, expressionless, even for Mario (I don't call Mario dull and expressionless in general; it really varies by game). His face lacks eyebrows, the most expressive part of the human face, and his eyes are a little too simple for my tastes. Another expressive part of his face, his mouth, is generally not visible unless he makes a generic open-mouth expression. It really shows in some cutscenes: Mario gapes like some idiot rather than appropriately conveying surprise/wonder (body language can help him with surprise, but it isn't enough to be expressive). It doesn't help that Mario doesn't really put a lot of oomph in his voice either. It really shows in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, at least according to some people, since I haven't played the game.

And that's why Mario & Luigi will be my preferred RPG. Mario and Luigi feel more... involved, and they do have a strong relationship that keeps them interesting enough.

The player-is-you avatar thing simply doesn't work for Mario.

Some other games also have a very weak portrayal for Mario, by Mario standards, and that includes the Mario Baseball games (this portrayal irritates me so much), Mario & Sonic, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Smash 4, but I think Paper Mario's the weakest, even worse than Brawl and Smash 4's Marios. It kind of interferes with my judgement on the "charm" of Paper Mario, especially when Mario Party handles the dialogue just as well and has a more expressive Mario to boot.

I don't think Mario is kept basic because he's a player avatar, I'd say it's more due to the whole ''fitting him into as many different roles as possible'' thing.

Still, I can understand your frustration, I hate it when Bowser isn't allowed to speak and be expressive as well, though that admittedly doesn't happen anywhere near as often.

Zae Eildus said:
Baby Luigi said:
Partners in Time is the most underrated Mario & Luigi game

well my opinion means jack anyway, baby luigi nerd
honestly i think the writing is good, the battle system is good, some music could be better, but not too bad.

The problem with the game is the areas, they're boring as SHIT, they lack interest, variety, and overall structure. It makes the game dull, the areas feel really stale, and thats what turned me off the most. I hated every new area, because it just felt so lackluster. Thats one thing you gotta consider in pretty much every game ever, is variety in design, and just didnt do it for me in partners in time. I actually had this issue with bis in some areas, more in particular, the mario & luigi sections, as they didnt feel much different then the last, of course the bowser sections greatly made up for them, but thats just what i think anyway.
Wow Zae this is literally all my opinion of both of these games.

Super Paper Mario was created by the same mindset that gave us the Super Mario Bros movie.
Both are equally insulting to the franchise they are based upon

Waluigi is best as a miserable failure who never gets anywhere in life.

I hate gross Wario, he should be macho not gross.

Goombas are the cosmos gift to our reality.

Mario isn't boring, it's just everybody copies his mannerisms thus making him look boring.

Back