Toad Fan Club

Joey Wheeler said:
What if Toad had a spin-off series/Popeye parody where vegetables are his power-ups?
Donkey Kong was already a Popeye parody.

I can actually see that working. Instead of mushrooms and flowers, Toad can eat various vegetables to restore health/give him special powers/other.

Also, how about Toad's game having a stage-select screen, similar to Mega Man? Nintendo's never done something like that, and it'd be interesting to see how it would work.

Kind of off-topic, but

Toad85 said:
Also, how about Toad's game having a stage-select screen, similar to Mega Man? Nintendo's never done something like that, and it'd be interesting to see how it would work.

I'm hoping Game Freak does that for future Pokemon games where you choose the order you fight the Gym Leaders and the game changes the gym leaders' pokemon accordingly.

Toad85 said:

I agree. The level layout doesn't have to be linear all the time like in the regular Mario series.

I once wrote a script for a Mario RPG and I planned on having Toad as the first partner. One of his attacks was similar to Goombario and Goombella's Tattle except Toad would look up the enemies with a laptop. Now if only I could remember then other moves I gave Toad. And before anybody tells me to just look it up, I deleted it.

Why did you delete it? D:

Because I'm an idiot. Quite a shame too, since I liked the story (now if only it wasn't so long on paper and didn't have that little piece of Fridge Logic) and the boss battles.

Baby Luigi said:
Propeller Toad said:
Baby Luigi said:
But Toad is an interesting character to talk about!
It would be awesome to see Toad getting a game featuring his strength. Perhaps a return to SMB2, but with Toad as the central character? It would be a nice way to see the forgotten characters of SMB2 as well as the primary role being given to the forgotten protagonist. New world, new protagonist, new story = a hopefully fine new game. :)

It's funny that you didn't mention a remake of Wario's Woods, which also features Toad's strength

Actually I was thinking of Wario's Woods as I posted my earlier reply. Of course, the reason I did not mention it was due to the fact that I do want to see a game that did feature a true title for Toad and be associated directly upon him. However, I wouldn't object to a sequel or remake to Wario's Woods. It's a great game (imo) and is still one of my favourite NES games. I do wish Nintendo would remake that as opposed to Dr. Mario. :-\

A handheld version of Wario's Woods would be great (especially if it is similar to the SNES version-though bring back the boss fights in the same way as the NES version). ;D

Joey Wheeler said:
What if Toad had a spin-off series/Popeye parody where vegetables are his power-ups?

That doesn't sound bad either. It would off course be good to see some SMB2 elements return in any way, and Toad has potential to doing this if he does get his own game. Mario, Luigi, and Peach have yet to bring those elements back in their own games.

Thanks Propeller Toad. I wonder who the villain would be. We could always have Wart return, but I personally want to see someone new.

Joey Wheeler said:
Thanks Propeller Toad. I wonder who the villain would be. We could always have Wart return, but I personally want to see someone new.

Hm, that is the problem considering that Toad is always portrayed as a "too kind" figure in the recent Mario games. Wart and Wario are always possibilities (the latter only for a Wario's Woods remake/sequel). Of course, I'd rather take anyone as opposed to Bowser (I like him; however, I rather take a break from him in a Toad game).

An evil Toad could always be interesting to see (the introduction of a rival?) considering that we do lack rivalry in the recent Mario related games aside from the plumber rivalry in the spin-offs. Another character I though that would be interesting to see as an opponent for Toad is the Goomboss. For some reason, the Goomboss was Toad's rival in one of the Mission Modes in MKDS, and it could be interesting to see the rivalry with Toad against the Goombas. Mushroom wars. :P

Interesting. I like the idea of a new evil Toad. If we can have good Koopas, Goombas, etc. in games like Paper Mario, then I'm sure we can have an evil Toad or 2.

I was actually thinking of someone who hates veggies, although Wart already has that position filled. But then I thought, how about someone who's obsessed with junk food and wants to destroy the world's veggie supply? I think it'd be a good message to little kids, but it might also give them the wrong message that junk food shouldn't be eaten at all.

By the way, the food in America is deceiving. We can't tell them that salads are good no matter what, even if they have 2,000+ calories, 100 g of fat, etc.

Joey Wheeler said:
Interesting. I like the idea of a new evil Toad. If we can have good Koopas, Goombas, etc. in games like Paper Mario, then I'm sure we can have an evil Toad or 2.

I was actually thinking of someone who hates veggies, although Wart already has that position filled. But then I thought, how about someone who's obsessed with junk food and wants to destroy the world's veggie supply? I think it'd be a good message to little kids, but it might also give them the wrong message that junk food shouldn't be eaten at all.

A vegetable inspired game would actually be very fitting for a Toad game (considering that Toad is a humanoid mushroom and mushrooms in general are considered by some to being vegetables). I like it (it also seems rather unique)! ;D Wart would obviously be the top contender for a vegetable-hater; however, there is potential for other characters to share the same dislike for vegetables. Or perhaps even Petey Piranha?

Well the possibilities are endless as well (even adding a villainous Toad organization in there could work - perhaps the abduction of the Mushroom Kingdom's Super Mushroom stocks :P).

Wow, looks like Toad can be a character to look up to in terms of good nutrition. It would be hilarious to have Toad making a message such as to "Remember to eat your veggies!" in the end credits similar to Mario saying his thank you message at the end of his games. ;D

Toad is a mushroom humanoid? I thought he was just a regular dude wearing a mushroom hat.

Okay...

Anyways, is it okay to quote the above post?

Why? Besides, Toad doesn't even have a visible nose.

Joey Wheeler said:
I once wrote a script for a Mario RPG and I planned on having Toad as the first partner. One of his attacks was similar to Goombario and Goombella's Tattle except Toad would look up the enemies with a laptop. Now if only I could remember then other moves I gave Toad. And before anybody tells me to just look it up, I deleted it.

Never mind, I found it.

Moves:
Veggie Toss: Toad pulls a veggie out of the ground and throws it at an enemy, damaging them. Once in a while, Toad may pull out a bomb instead causing more damage. (Reference to both SMB2 and Wario's Woods).

Research: Similar to Goombario and Goombella's tattle, Toad will look up information about one enemy using a laptop.

Snack Time: Toad will replenish up to 15 HP for either himself or Mario.

POW!: Toad throws a POW Block damaging all ground/ceiling enemies and flipping over shelled enemies. Does more damage than the actual POW Block you buy from stores, but a lot of FP.

Field Ability: Gives Mario information about the area they're currently in or any people nearby much like Goombario and Goombella's field abilities.

Unless it uses a huge amount of power to do it.

Nice ideas with the moves! It would be nice to see something similar being done with the Toad partner that is being hopefully introduced in PM 3DS.

If I were to think of one more move, the only suggestion I would give would be for possibly an addition of a mushroom based move. Perhaps a defensive move like the moves Toad performed in MSM? It would be nice to see if Nintendo could expand upon Toad's mushroom/spore based abilities in the future. ;D

I wonder how it would be a game for Toadette? Probably it may be a RPG or a simple adventuring game.

Toadette should have special powers in her pigtails :P

Back