Current Vandal on Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I undid my own edit.

I don't want to call anyone a vandal (unless it's a well-known troll). I do think, however, the user is being immature and upset about Year of Luigi so he just made a lot of bad edits.

A "vandal" is just a technical term for someone who is counter-productive to the wiki. It's nothing to be taken personally.

What are we going to call them, then? "People who make bad edits"?

Just say, "this user", "that user", etc.

But I can be referred to as this user or that user without me acting like a vandal. "Vandal" doesn't have the same connotation as "troll".

Whatever you want to call them, this thread is obviously for outright vandals, where immediate admin attention is required. If someone is merely "making bad edits", then just let post a formal message on their talk page letting them know how they can improve.

Smaug said:
Do you always have your eyes on the recent changes?
Yeah, pretty much.

(I know I can't speak for others but) I'm guessing most people just have it on auto-refresh, then ignore any edits made by trusted users, but if they see an anon. or new person making an edit they check it out and yeah, that's how they see vandalism. Also sometimes it'll automatically record in the edit summary "replaced content with" which is a sure sign of vandalism, as well as when large amounts of content are changed.

We have some symptoms of adminitis, but reverting multiple edits rather than rollbacking them is a pain in the ass because I have to go to past revisions and then copy and paste everything.

Yeah, we scour the recent changes all day to find, of course, something to revert. It's typical experienced user behavior

Driftmas said:
Smaug said:
Do you always have your eyes on the recent changes?
Yeah, pretty much.

(I know I can't speak for others but) I'm guessing most people just have it on auto-refresh, then ignore any edits made by trusted users, but if they see an anon. or new person making an edit they check it out and yeah, that's how they see vandalism. Also sometimes it'll automatically record in the edit summary "replaced content with" which is a sure sign of vandalism, as well as when large amounts of content are changed.
I even look at the users I trust :P

Mario's Drunken Holiday Special said:
We have some symptoms of adminitis, but reverting multiple edits rather than rollbacking them is a pain in the ass because I have to go to past revisions and then copy and paste everything.
Why copy and paste? Just go to the history, click on the latest non-vandalism revision, and from that revision page, click the edit tab and it should let you edit that revision directly (with this above the edit window: "Warning: You are editing an out-of-date revision of this page. If you save it, any changes made since this revision will be lost."), then just save and voila.

That's what I usually end up doing when I get edit conflicted and the bad revision is still there

Da rock needs attention

By the way, can an admin change the text on his user page as it clearly violates MarioWiki userspace policy?

Baby Luigi said:
By the way, can an admin change the text on his user page as it clearly violates MarioWiki userspace policy?
Done.

Thanks a lot. ;)

Walkazo said:
Why copy and paste? Just go to the history, click on the latest non-vandalism revision, and from that revision page, click the edit tab and it should let you edit that revision directly (with this above the edit window: "Warning: You are editing an out-of-date revision of this page. If you save it, any changes made since this revision will be lost."), then just save and voila.

Ah, I must've misread that warning as "Any changes you make in an outdated revision will be lost". Sorry.

I think it's a sock IP, I remember Turb blocking an IP like that a few weeks

Walkazo said:

Ah, I must've misread that warning as "Any changes you make in an outdated revision will be lost". Sorry.

I also want to add that I'm a fucking asshole with a horrible personality and attitude for playing the beggar instead of being content with what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back