Current Vandal on Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering how you guys don't even use this thread for notifications, this thread now strikes me as useless and just a place to vent our constant hatred for those oh-those-sneaky vandals and the very occasional prankster from another NIWA wiki. If you really want to complain about this stuff, just PM it to the admins or something. I don't know if it's going to further stuff their inboxes with crap, but it's probably better than this attention-feeding vehicle.

Dr. Mario said:
If you really want to complain about this stuff, just PM it to the admins or something. I don't know if it's going to further stuff their inboxes with crap, but it's probably better than this attention-feeding vehicle.

I don't want to seem vindicative, but that's kinda rich since most of the problematic content come from you and your sister. Let's take a look at some of your posts, shall we?

Dr. Mario said:
Welp, there goes any shred of credibility.

Dr. Mario said:
Nice try.

Update: now delete all of these revisions by this scumbag.

Dr. Mario said:
Fabulous.

Consider this lovely revision too. The ban should've been longer.

? Block said:
God I have to clean up after his mess

? Block said:
how freaking desperate is this user

Reporting vandals in here? Kinda helpful! There are times where I skip recent changes so receiving a quick heads-up here is useful. But oh-so-witty snark, whining, mini-modding and lengthy back-and-forts about how an inept-but-not-trolling user is Omg Totally Fail You Guyz? Not helpful.

God I hate my emotions at times.

The topic could be helpful because admins -may have- allowed this topic to notify them by E-mail, so if they are away from the wiki for some reasons, this notification will help.. Then again, not to mention this being unlikely.. Like what Glowsquid said, people -including myself at least once in the past because I didn't think of it- keep posting messages regarding taken actions, and feeding the trolls. If there was a way to enforce users to post just the name of the troll and don't post anything else (like changing the title to "Report ONLY the vandal name here" or something -if people would realize and obey this rule- (I'm breaking this rule right now) then MAYBE this could be worth the keeping.. I mean, you could use PMs and Wiki Talk pages to notify an admin of the situation, but it is one admin, and notifying all admins, could be annoying and more-like-spam.. In all cases, it's up to you.

I can only speak from my own experiences, but during my active sysop time, whenever my schedule allowed me to be present on the wiki, I was present on the wiki. If I wasn't there, that meant I could not be there at that moment, even if an email would have notified me.

To be honest, whenever I came online, I checked the wiki first, then the forum, then the wiki again, and maybe THEN my emails (and then the wiki again). So emails would have only notified me of things I would have already known at that point.

Obviously I have no idea how other admins handle their wiki patrolling, but if they do it anything like I used to, email notification is going to be completely useless to them. Especially if half of the notifications turn out to be about posts discussing the known exploits of a vandal who has already been pointed out, or something like that.

So yeah, personally I think whatever benefits this thread might bring are too miniscule to outweigh its troll-baitiness.

I do that too, but when I'm busy, like watching YouTube, I have a little notification icon in Chrome, that almost immediately notify me of new emails. I spoke like If all people have this thing, anyway I said that is unlikely.

I have my PMs set to email notification, and my email is a tab I always have open, as well as having it linked to my phone so it vibrates whenever I get a new email.

Honestly I think the best solution is to lock this thread and directly message sysops or people on the wiki. More.often than not, they're on the wiki and a simple message on their talk page "this guy is making bad edits" is far.better than a thread here that is mostly redundant and encourages people (like me) do make crass and unproffesional behavior.

? Block said:
Honestly I think the best solution is to lock this thread and directly message sysops or people on the wiki. More.often than not, they're on the wiki and a simple message on their talk page "this guy is making bad edits" is far.better than a thread here that is mostly redundant and encourages people (like me) do make crass and unproffesional behavior.
This I completely agree with.

Shulk said:
I find it a convenient way of alerting sysops of vandals.
Still, it's better to do it in a PM then to have a thread like this, which is basically just people reacting to spam.

We could always regulate that sort of thing, or simply not have people react... It's a good place for discussing if someone's genuinely spamming and if admins need to be brought in without actually bothering them.

Thing is, there have been numerous posts by staff members asking not to have these baitey posts. And then the next time one comes along we get all the baitey posts again.

Yes, I am aware that not everyone does it, but usually people do. At the end of the day if you feel someone is acting badly, then it is part of an admin's job to deal with it, so I wouldn't count it as bothering us, though I'm not speaking for the admins as a whole.

I do react to this way and I will continue to react this way. It really depends on my mood and I can get really uncontrollable when I'm stressed or moody. Some days, I just post business like usual, other days, I'm a bit more bitter and upset. I really think the best solution is to lock this thread to prevent me (and possibly others) to make posts based on emotional reasons rather than logical.

PMs are far better than leaving this thread open imo. It's another solution I can buy.

? Block said:
I do react to this way and I will continue to react this way. It really depends on my mood and I can get really uncontrollable when I'm stressed or moody. Some days, I just post business like usual, other days, I'm a bit more bitter and upset. I really think the best solution is to lock this thread to prevent me (and possibly others) to make posts based on emotional reasons rather than logical.

PMs are far better than leaving this thread open imo. It's another solution I can buy.
I'll let you think what you want about yourself but I don't recommend that negative self-talk

I am not putting myself down, not even trying to, I'm just speaking the truth for being really inconsistent in what I say and do

Glowsquid said:
Dr. Mario said:
If you really want to complain about this stuff, just PM it to the admins or something. I don't know if it's going to further stuff their inboxes with crap, but it's probably better than this attention-feeding vehicle.

I don't want to seem vindicative, but that's kinda rich since most of the problematic content come from you and your sister. Let's take a look at some of your posts, shall we?
I was aware of that problem myself, I was about to note that, and I feel extremely guilty about this. But correcting my own behavior is something I find really hard to do, especially if it's driven by emotion. I post here because I feel a bit desperate sometimes. I feel like a bad user now and a hypocrite. :<

I think I should just avoid this thread from now on. Just to avoid any more *bleep* from me.

Finally, my request to lock it stems from all of this crap I've realized I done.

? Block said:

Not to put you down or anything, but... that's not really the thread's fault, is it? If you can't contain your emotions around a certain thing, it's not exactly the thing's fault for being there. If you have a problem with not making sardonic comments, perhaps it's best if you simply try to ignore the thread.

It's pretty hard to ignore this thread. All of the time, I just want to help. In fact, I have made normal reports on this thread, no strings attached. Sometimes I don't, and that's where the problem comes in.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to help, and it's certainly not like you haven't done that. Maybe all you need to do is learn when to bite your tongue, so to speak. Before making a post, go through it and see if you're making any of those comments. It'd be one step in the right direction.

Well that's really tough for me to do...but I'll try it. If I do it again, please, tell me.

Yeah, I agree, particularly because of:

? Block said:

The forum's functions should not ebb and flow around yours, or anyone else's, emotions and tendencies to be flippant based on outside factors. If you can't control yourself, then the rules come in and you should be punished accordingly; i.e. if you're physically unable to not post troll-baiting/feeding posts then perhaps a warning or block will do so for you.

I think this thread could stay if the rules are enforced against people who think their input is necessary, but if that's more effort than it's worth then go ahead and nix it, but I want to make sure there's emphasis that it's your own fault if you make shit comments and whatever excuse you may have does not change the fact that it's a shit comment. Now that there's like a page or two of commentary on this already I feel it should now be left up to the forum and wiki staff to decide what they want done and to make a post about it. The thread is not going to be locked as a way to personally cut off your venting outlet and work around you, but to make rule enforcement easier without so much kickback making its own problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back