New Super Mario Bros. 2

I wouldn't call myself nostalgia-blinded, but I would say I'm simple-minded. Have fun with it = Good Game. As long as I have fun with it, it's worth the money, because that's all games are for, fun. Well, except for the competitive games, but you wouldn't be playing them if you weren't having fun as well.

The problem with that argument is that dealing with the exact same thing constantly quickly grows boring. I used to have fun with 2D Mario platformers, yeah - most people do - but if they're just going to keep doing the same thing with the same exact formula over and over again, I'm going to get bored quickly and move on to something with a little more originality and intrigue. There's really only so much you can do with a license before everything about it just starts to seem redundant and tedious, at least to me.

And as a "games are art" hippie, I believe games have immense potential to be innovative and deep without sacrificing fun. Even ignoring my incredibly pretentious "oh I'm so smart, I can play a game about how full of shit Ayn Rand is and appreciate it, nweeeeeeeeh" attitude, I just want to see more games with more unique thematic design and gameplay that tries to push the envelope. The chubby plumber is not either of those to me.

I see how people don't like the repetitiveness. A lot of people hate that. I'm just one of those people that doesn't mind it, If nintendo or any company makes a game I don't want, I just won't get it. I might hire it. Then if I like it I'll hire it again. But I like these type of games, so I'll just buy them so I can have some fun.

Well, I guess Nintendo decided to put it that way, and a lot of people will probably like the challenge of getting 1,000,000 or more coins!

Lakituthequick said:
Why is everybody so negative about COINS?

Well they do rack up your extra life supply for every 100 coins that you collect. This makes it impossible to get game overs if you don't lose your lives on purpose.

MnSG said:
Lakituthequick said:

Well they do rack up your extra life supply for every 100 coins that you collect. This makes it impossible to get game overs if you don't lose your lives on purpose.

Didn't someone say they raised it to 1000 and then an extra life? I don't know, I might be imagining things.

Crackin355 said:
MnSG said:
Lakituthequick said:

Didn't someone say they raised it to 1000 and then an extra life? I don't know, I might be imagining things.
I think someone did, but I don't think that would make sense.

Majin Buu said:
Lakituthequick said:
Because it removes the quality

I initially thought that but the trailer changed my mind, I think collecting coins will refresh the 2D games since it departs from the traditional 'run from one end of the level to the other' gameplay and adds collecting as an important goal thus changing how the game will be played.

On, by the way, I watched some gameplay, and I noticed the game isn't always about coins. It's still a Platformer, but it's not a collecting game. It looks like you'll probably get the coins during you trying to complete the level.

Eric B said:
Sayaka Maizono said:
This game is confirmed to have paid DLC after launch. So far, the DLC consists of extra coin rush stages. Price is unknown.
What's DLC?
Yeah. What is DLC??? :???:

Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
Eric B said:
Sayaka Maizono said:
This game is confirmed to have paid DLC after launch. So far, the DLC consists of extra coin rush stages. Price is unknown.
What's DLC?
Yeah. What is DLC??? :???:

Downloadable content.

Basically, any form of content that players can obtain or buy after the game is released. Quite similar to the QR codes from MTO. This can include extra levels, characters, etc..

^
Ohhhh! That'll be fun, but only if we can afford it.

What? I (or at least I think) heard that Nintendo said that all DLC would be free?

Baby Luigi said:
What? I (or at least I think) heard that Nintendo said that all DLC would be free?

That is where I might be wrong. I was thinking along the lines of the other companies that might charge for DLC. Nintendo will likely keep the extra content free (at least for now based on how far Nintendo went with the concept as of recently).

I honestly agree that Nintendo should continue giving free DLC as opposed to charging us (if they have plans for it).

I agree too. We paid for the game already, we shouldn't be paying for more stuff.

I have no problem with 2D games, but I am a little sick of the NSMB style and engine; it's the exact 8 worlds, the same graphical style, the same Bowser fight (why do they keep using the one from SMB? Why not an actual fight, like in SMB3 or SMW?), etc. I'd prefer to see something in 16-bit or 32-bit graphics; probably a DSiWare or WiiUWare game.

Agreed. The flagpole ending, the Bowser switch, the world themes from New Super Mario Bros., the Peach getting kidnapped thing, etc. I just hate the stagnation of creativity that is going on right now. The gold coins theme thing just isn't cutting it.

I also agree on that aspect as Nintendo really does seem to rely on rehashing SMB1 and SMB3 a tad too much as of recently. The mainstream games and even the spin-offs are all relying on those games as of now as opposed to making any new changes for the series.

While I agree that SMB1 and SMB3 were fantastic, the series does need a break from those two and rely on something new or even go back to an original, unused concept/gameplay such as that from SMB2 (though sadly fans seem to dislike SMB2 and SMS due to their changes in gameplay). Hopefully, fans better accept the changes now as the series really does need to stop relying on nostalgia.

I also find it interesting that Miyamoto now says that his favourite Mario game is SMB2/USA. Kind of makes me wish that he was back on the main development team :P:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/15/this-is-shigeru-miyamotos-favorite-mario-game

The fact that fans hated SMB2 and Sunshine might be the reason why Nintendo keeps milking SMB1 and 3.

When SMB1 and 3 came out, they did well, people liked them, but when SMB2 and Sunshine were released, people hated them because they were different. Granted, things are different now since SMB2 and Sunshine have gained fans, but Nintendo probably doesn't know that hence why they've been using almost the same formula repeatedly.

Don Pianta said:
The fact that fans hated SMB2 and Sunshine might be the reason why Nintendo keeps milking SMB1 and 3.

When SMB1 and 3 came out, they did well, people liked them, but when SMB2 and Sunshine were released, people hated them because they were different. Granted, things are different now since SMB2 and Sunshine have gained fans, but Nintendo probably doesn't know that hence why they've been using almost the same formula repeatedly.

It's ironic considering that fans are getting tired of the old formula Nintendo has been using for nostalgia after Sunshine as of now. I guess Mario fans are hard to please either way.

I personally want something new or at least a return to SMB2 (mostly this) or SMS.

I'm kind of meh about SMB2, but I would like stuff from SMS to return, that was fun.

But I'm kinda thinking based on the trailer they're gonna use kind of the same as the other 2 games in the NSMB series.

Sorry, but it's considered 2.5D, not 2D. Anywho, I think we can all agree that if Nintendo should bring anything back, it should be how hard some of the older games were. After playing SM3DL, being only like three hours, I felt disappointed. I know they can, since they made DKCR challenging imo. It's been turning into where if it becomes easier, you're basically watching a television. I know they want to have more age groups excited, but I dunno if it's really working. I mean, I also don't want it to be where all levels are super easy, and then a bonus level to somewhat satisfy the hardcore gamers. Basically, a very good Mario game imo is something where it takes like 5 lives before you pass the level for the advanced-intermediate gamers. Sorry to rant more, but when they installed the aid-helper thing, the games were already easy enough to defeat, even for beginners. I'm really sorry if I offended any gamers that do have trouble with beating these later games.

NSMBW was like SMG2 in the fact that it didn't get hard until the bonus levels of World 9. I agree it was a bit more challenging than NSMB, but by little. It was also less annoying in the fact that mini-Mushrooms' role in the game wasn't important in collecting coins. Speaking of which, are the star coins returning in this game?

Back