Worst Mario Roster

I'd say that NSMBW sort of lacked a creativity with the playable characters. I mean, why couldn't they just use ONE Toad?

La Marionette said:
Unusual, but it included Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser... I wouldn't think the Wrecking Crew '98 roster is bad.
Mario Tennis Power Tour is up there with the worst roster, but Mario Party GBA had an even worse roster.
I haven't played that game, but this game seems not like a formal spinoff and only Mario is playable, though other main characters can still be in the final scene. Those original human characters are weird indeed, at least we know where club athletes live.

Tennis 64 had a good roster because they allowed some characters recurring (Daisy, Birdo, Baby Mario) and created Waluigi, improved from the previous Mario Golf 64. It's weird Power Tennis got a worse roster.

I thought the handheld Parties only gave few characters. Good or bad rosters are usually medium rosters.

Twist said:
...are you implying that Wario and Yoshi aren't as important as Daisy or Birdo?
? that's two things in that relpy. I simply meant inenough and enough appearances for the two groups.

manasword said:
Daisy or Birdo are less important than Wario and Yoshi.
Birdo wasn't playable in Mario Power Tennis.
and Daisy was not appeared only Tennis is Mario Tennis: Power Tour.
I'm not determined with Wario, after all he's the latest of these ones and further from the main story (he has better performance in his own series), while Daisy is a close friend of Peach. After all, there are no needs to compare their importance.

I'd agree with Mario Tennis GBA having the worst roster.

As for NSMBWii, why couldn't they have gone with zero toads?

One Toad is fine. A palette swap isn't.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii's stuff isn't exactly what you call a roster, but Mario Party Advance had the same amount of characters.

Dorayaki said:
La Marionette said:
Unusual, but it included Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser... I wouldn't think the Wrecking Crew '98 roster is bad.
Mario Tennis Power Tour is up there with the worst roster, but Mario Party GBA had an even worse roster.
I haven't played that game, but this game seems not like a formal spinoff and only Mario is playable, though other main characters can still be in the final scene. Those original human characters are weird indeed, at least we know where club athletes live.
Wrecking Crew '98 had more than Mario playable.

Eggplant Man
Koopa Troopa
Gotcha Wrench
Foreman Spike
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Onigiri (a ball of rice)
Onnanoko (a girl)
Oyaji (a middle aged man)
Dogu (a clay figure)

Toad85 said:
Yoshiwalker said:
Dorayaki said:
To me most rosters are not good due to lack of proportion or rotation, if I have to say, in many early games Daisy and Birdo didn't appear.

manasword said:
Mario Tennis GBA.
36 characters with only 6 Mario characters and rests were just human characters.
No Wario, Yoshi and Daisy. Mario characters are 1/6.
and No Mario-theme courts.
? I have no comment on Wario or Yoshi's absence, after all they're not protagonists and must-have. But indeed the use of excessive original club athletes is totally weird, we can trade them for almost all main characters playable.

Actually if some club athletes can be recurring in all sport games, the problem is not serious. That's another topic.
...Yoshi isn't a protagonist?
Actually, Dorayaki's correct. He isn't one.

He's something called a deuteragonist. A helper or assistant to the protagonist(s).
In some games he's a protagonist, though.

Like Yoshi's Island.

Yoshiwalker said:
Toad85 said:
Yoshiwalker said:
Dorayaki said:
To me most rosters are not good due to lack of proportion or rotation, if I have to say, in many early games Daisy and Birdo didn't appear.

manasword said:
Mario Tennis GBA.
36 characters with only 6 Mario characters and rests were just human characters.
No Wario, Yoshi and Daisy. Mario characters are 1/6.
and No Mario-theme courts.
? I have no comment on Wario or Yoshi's absence, after all they're not protagonists and must-have. But indeed the use of excessive original club athletes is totally weird, we can trade them for almost all main characters playable.

Actually if some club athletes can be recurring in all sport games, the problem is not serious. That's another topic.
...Yoshi isn't a protagonist?
Actually, Dorayaki's correct. He isn't one.

He's something called a deuteragonist. A helper or assistant to the protagonist(s).
In some games he's a protagonist, though.

Like Yoshi's Island.
But that's the Yoshi series. We're talking about the Mario games.

The only time where Yoshi is a major protagonist is Super Mario 64 DS in the main series if I'm not mistaken. Along with Wario that is.

Yoshidude99 said:
He was major in Super Mario World too.

No, he was more of a deuteragonist

Even if he did meant Super Mario World 2, that's part of the Yoshi series, not the Mario series.

I never saw somebody making a mistake on that part. Usually, it's stuff like "I liek wario to." People with horrible grammar usually don't mess up on "two" and "too".

La Marionette said:
I never saw somebody making a mistake on that part. Usually, it's stuff like "I liek wario to." People with horrible grammar usually don't mess up on "two" and "too".
Unless said aloud.

For example:

"I like ponies ice cream"

"I like poniesice cream too"

"Electic Boogaloo!"

"I think you mean 'Electric'"

There, are you guys happy?

Don't even bring up *beeping* ponies :mad:

This is the forums, though. You can tell between homophones in context.

Usually, Yoshi is a mere helper, and I'm completely fine with that. You will get no argument from me.

Mario Sports Mix has a goodness-gravy awful roster. Staying on topic.

I'm not a fan of the roster in NES Open Tournament Golf.

La Marionette said:
What was it?

Playable

Mario
Luigi
Steve
Mark
Tony
Billy

^These last four are random human characters.

Non-Playable

Princess Toadstool
Princess Daisy
Donkey Kong
Toad

Cameos

Monty Mole (On Box Artwork)

Back