Requesting edits for locked pages.

Since an English name's been found, one of the examples on MarioWiki:Naming needs to be modified.

If there is no official English name, then the first international name from a non-English region is used. For example, the giant bird boss from Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins does not have an official English name. However, the official German and Japanese names are known as "Radonkel" and "Kurosu" respectively. As the Japanese release came before the German release, the Japanese name "Kurosu" gets the article title. However, if an official English name is found, then it becomes the article's title.

"Kurosu" has an English name in the form of Bird (Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins), so using that doesn't quite work out.

Of all the luck. Anyway, I managed to find a replacement (or make one, since the page hadn't actually been adhering to policy at first, oopsie).

I'm in the middle of reverting a user's edits who grabbed names from the JP Wikipedia and touted it as a good source. However, I can't revert Fue to "Ruler," and I can't find a better name. Could a mod make the move?

Huh. I thought pages could automatically be moved over redirects leading back to them... Odd. Anyway, it's moved now.

Yeah, usually it only fails to work when there's stuff other than the redirection on the page (like a delete template), or if the page is redirecting elsewhere, but Fue seemed normal: not even an extra space or line skip. There was a space between "#redirect" and the link, but that's how the system always generates redirects, so I don't think that should have mattered. Perhaps it's because it originally linked elsewhere and was changed to redirect to Ruler, but idk, that seems unlikely.

Oh wikimedia quirks - so silly.

Done, although for the record, it's nice to provide links to the things you want us to deal with.

Walkazo said:
Done, although for the record, it's nice to provide links to the things you want us to deal with.
Sorry, slipped my mind this time.

There's another MW:NAME (MarioWiki:Naming#Shared_titles) example that should be edited.

If there are more than two pages sharing the same name, a disambiguation page must be used, although it may be given a "(disambiguation)" qualifier if one of the articles has the plain title. For example, the article Spiny is about the classic Mario enemy, whereas Spiny (disambiguation) also links to Spiny (Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest), an enemy from a different series, Spiny (Mario Kart 64), a different Mario enemy, and Spiny (microgame).

Spiny (Mario Kart 64) has been moved to Porcupine, as per the manual, so it doesn't apply any more.

Thanks. I just removed the MK64 entry - I figure the example still works with only the DK enemy and microgame.

DON'T CREATE LICENCE NOR CATEGORY 7-10
http://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_36#Make_game-model_template

The spelling is correct. It's the way the Brits spell "license"

Oh.

But the "nor" part is pretty awkward there nevertheless.

small reminder that this needs updating

"Subspecies" is a taxonomical term that refers to small, but persistent differences of the same species and are capable of interbreeding with each other. It is frequently misused to classify similar, but completely separate species (such as calling Lakitus a subspecies of Koopa). The best example of a proper subspecies are the red and blue Spike Tops from Paper Mario.

Sounds good or not? Or should I just let you write it yourself?

Goddammit, I knew I was forgetting something...

Anyway, I added it, but used my own words - largely taken from the proposal. It's a bit on the long side, but seeing as in reality, there are over 42 definitions of species floating around (ranging from purely biological, like the "no hybrids" stuff*, to purely evolutionary/genetics-based), and given how it's one of the most abused biological terms I can think of, I figure it can afford to be a bit wordy for the sake of clarity.

*Also, just so you know, there are lots of species that freely produce fertile hybrids (i.e. Blue-winged and Golden-winged Warblers), so that definition alone doesn't float. A better way to look at is is whether two populations have become so different, they couldn't easily melt back together: for the most part, geography is keeping subspecies apart, and if you remove the barriers, the subspecies will be lost to wanton inbreeding between the similar-looking and genetically-similar populations. On the other hand, different species have evolved enough differences in behaviour and/or morphology during their separation to mean that they won't interbreed enough to compromise either species if the barrier's removed.

I think allowing users to delete the welcome template (Template:Welcome) kinda contradicts how you can't delete messages left by other users. I think we should delete that line altogether.

I guess that option was added because if users deleted the message, it conveys that they've read the message. But... I don't know what to make of that.

I've never gotten that greeting, even when custom-made ones were allowed. :-[

Some people really hate it, and it's not like it's an actual "message" someone wrote to them - they should be allowed to remove it.

Back