Requesting edits for locked pages.

Yeah, it sounds less than ideal to me too, tbh. Maybe: "JPEG format is generally only desirable for photographic images and movie or TV screenshots." (Totally stolen from Wikipedia's Image Use Policy.)

I prefer that even if it means plagiarizing from wikipedia :P

Nah, I actually wrote about half the sentence independently and then swapped out some choice words, but even then, it's still different enough to not be plagiarism.

Anyway, it's changed now.

Well, instinctively, I'm sure we all think of crossovers along those vague lines of "games that feature multiple series", and the list of examples immediately following was supposed to provide the readers with a good overview of such games in the context of this wiki's coverage (show, don't tell). Guest Appearances is a much greyer and more novel idea, hence it required a more detailed explanation, but I suppose crossovers could get a bit longer intro line:

Crossovers are games that extensively feature characters from one or more series in addition to the Mario series. Examples include:

Then the first paragraph could be a bit longer too:

In some cases, the games are obviously part of the Mario series (i.e. Mario Sports Mix or Wario Blast) while others are more evenly split between the franchises (i.e. Mario & Sonic or Fortune Street) but should still be counted as Mario games. Even series that can stand alone as their own set of games separate from any of the contributing franchises (i.e. SSB) are considered to be partner series of the Mario games. In all cases, these crossovers are given full coverage: everything appearing in the games gets articles. (Please note that puzzle games like Tetris DS and PiCTOBiTS have very little content, and so, are limited in scope to game pages only.)

Thanks! I think you can add "elements" as well as "characters", because often in crossovers, there are stages and items from those series.

Crossovers are games that extensively feature characters and other elements from one or more series in addition to the Mario series. Examples include:

Very true; good suggestion.

I'll leave this open for a bit longer in case another admin or anyone else wants to chime in before I update the page.

EDIT: I updated the page (did some other miscellaneous mucking about at the same time - all cosmetic).

Club Nintendo should be moved to Club Nintendo (magazine)
Club Nintendo (rewards program) should be moved to Club Nintendo

since when people search Club Nintendo, they think of the rewards program, not really the more obscure German magazine

Personally, I think of the comics first, but that's admittedly because I've been exposed to the "Club Nintendo" sections in our History sections for seven years. In fact, given that it did produce one of only a few series of Mario comics and is linked to all across the wiki makes me a bit unwilling to move it and give the title to a rewards program...

Considering that most people who browse this site are American and hasn't really heard of the magazine (which is no longer running, yet Club Nintendo is still and is primarily featured in quite a few products today), that's why I think we should move it.

If it's linked all across the wiki, that's no deal. We'll change it.

eh i wouldn't rule that out. i'd like to have other opinions on that though

I think that having a disambig. page is the best option, since I think people will equally search for both of them, either new users who are familiar with the rewards or experience users who've seen the comics plenty of times.

In MarioWiki: Canonicity, should we mention we also cover knock-offs that Nintendo has taken action upon?

So like,

Lastly, it should be noted that, canonical or not, the Super Mario Wiki only covers official content, as well as unofficial but ''notable'' [[Video game references|mainstream cameo appearances]] and [[List of Mario knockoffs acknowledged by Nintendo|knockoffs]] that have been ''acknowledged'' by Nintendo itself. Fan creations, such as fan-fiction, fan-made video games, or fan-theories, are not to be referenced within our articles.

Yeah that's good.

No, everything deleted that long ago is completely gone.

Also, I updated MW:CANON.

Makes sense. Maybe a point above the name stuff:

*Do not add transparency to images that do not originally have it: it is often done poorly, and it is simply better to use the original image rather than an edited version. Similarly, if an image is a JPEG, leave it as a JPEG, and simply try to replace it with a PNG rather than re-saving the same image in a new file format, which adds nothing to the quality.

Leave an exception to sprites, most sprites we have usually come from submitted sprite sheet rips that come in a single background color that's easy to make transparent. But in a sense, sprites should be transparent already assuming you ripped it yourself. Basically, if you can use the transparent function with images in Paint (which uses a single-color to overlap images) without horrible artifacts, you're allowed to make it transparent.

I've added transparency to images before but i don't think anyone really notices it unless I say so myself. I still discourage it, though, because most people who do add transparency to artwork don't do a good job at it and the difference is still a bit noticeable to a trained eye.

I've added transparency to images before, but I am wary of the limits of this. The best transparency I do removes a slight edge, although there are no glaring artifacts if you put it in a black background.

Like these

Transparent
MarioHoops.png

Not transparent
20110520194016%21MarioHoops.png

But I wouldn't like to revert since the top one has its uses and it doesn't have the common artifacts that is often present when other people try to remove the white background. So, I call it a sacrifice.

But yeah, about this whole jpg-png, it's extremely vague because we often replace low-quality .jpg screenshots with .png screenshots, but I suppose we can save the .pngs as .jpgs to save space, but is it worth it? Also, you have to consider that .png is the most desirable format for sprites, moreso than .jpg, so all .jpg sprites ideally need to be replaced with .png.

So in the end, maybe you can write about higher quality reuploads being fine to avoid misunderstanding.

Back