What would you like to see in the new 2D Mario for the 3DS?

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
I've heard people say that there is no wisdom in releasing a 2D sidescroller for a system marketed for being 3D. But I disagree. It could have a 3D engine. Ok, 2d Mario sidescroller. The last time we been down this road was NSMWii. What are some elements you would like to see in this game? And are the rumors not bogus that it is acutally Paper Mario 3DS? It is in fact a sidescroller?

It's a sidescroller. A common misconception is that Paper Mario is 2D, it's actually 3D. It could be like Donkey Kong Country Returns.
In Mario terms, I think it will be similar to the 2D levels in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Better music. I usually enjoy Mario tunes, but the NSMB games just didn't do it for me in the music department.

A more elaborate and interesting map. NSMB Wii already made some half-hearthed at making it more than a fancy level screen where you can very occasionaly choose one level over the other, but it'd be nice to see something as (or more) complex as Super Mario World's world map again.

I agree they should make a 2D Mario just like the 2D levels of SMG2, it would be beautiful *.*. Obviously the 3D effect will not be as much used as a 3D game, but the staff can make some good effects, e.g. Bullet Bills going to the screen, spikes coming from various angles, platforms with different depths, etc.

Glowsquid said:
A more elaborate and interesting map. NSMB Wii already made some half-hearthed at making it more than a fancy level screen where you can very occasionaly choose one level over the other, but it'd be nice to see something as (or more) complex as Super Mario World's world map again.
This! It would be very cool if they return with the Super Cape. :eekdance:

Wargreymon said:
I agree they should make a 2D Mario just like the 2D levels of SMG2, it would be beautiful *.*. Obviously the 3D effect will not be as much used as a 3D game, but the staff can make some good effects, e.g. Bullet Bills going to the screen, spikes coming from various angles, platforms with different depths, etc.

Glowsquid said:
This! It would be very cool if they return with the Super Cape. :eekdance:
The Super Cape could be the new come back kid a la Tanooki Suit in Super Mario 3D Land for this game?

I want to see in this game, Chain Chomps that roll around, Lakitu's in pipes (just like in SMW), Giant World (like SMB3), Pipe World (like SMB3), Tanks, Snow Spikes, Spindrifts, Mr. Blizzards, Remixes of old Mario music (Yoshi's Island, Super Mario land), Bowser Suit, and other stuff

YoshiGo99 said:
I want to see in this game, Chain Chomps that roll around, Lakitu's in pipes (just like in SMW), Giant World (like SMB3), Pipe World (like SMB3), Tanks, Snow Spikes, Spindrifts, Mr. Blizzards, Remixes of old Mario music (Yoshi's Island, Super Mario land), Bowser Suit, and other stuff
More bosses besides Bowser, Boom-Boom and Pom-Pom! WAY more!

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
YoshiGo99 said:
What about characters? Do you just want to play as Mario and Luigi? I'd like to see Toads like in NSMBWii.
I don't know. The Toads were okay, but nothing special.

Then again, who else would there be to play as?

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
The Super Cape could be the new come back kid a la Tanooki Suit in Super Mario 3D Land for this game?
Yeah! And this time allows Mario to fly, what is not possible with the new Tanooki Suit. :P

OMG, how did I forget it... If possible, multiplayer up to 4 players!!! ;D You can choose between Mario, Luigi, Peach and (Classic)Toad. That's it, PEACH! Nintendo should change the story this time. Daisy :daisy: should be kidnapped by mistake :lol:

Yes! Just like Wargreymon said! The classic group of four consisting of Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad need to return. These four were my personal favourite group of playable protagonists out of any Mario game, and I really would like to see all four playable once again in a new platformer. ;D

I personally want to see SMB2 elements in this game. SMB2 seems to always be forgotten; however, a return of its elements and characters would be great to see. We have seen quite a lot of the Mushroom Kingdom, so why not return to Subcon for a while? :) This would also be the perfect opportunity to allow Toad and Peach back into a platformer as playable characters.

'3K said:
Better music. I usually enjoy Mario tunes, but the NSMB games just didn't do it for me in the music department.
I totally agree with you, '3K.

The music in both New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii totally sucked. While the music in Super Mario 3D Land was totally OK, it still didn't quite reach the awesomeness of that in Super Mario Galaxy 2. And yes, Mario music is usually good, but it has been somewhat crappily done recently.

Another thing that I'd like to return would be actual difficulty to the game, because there hasn't been any difficult Mario games in a while.

Some levels could also have multiple exits. No, not just one alternative exit — several of them.

I'd fucking love to see a Super Mario World-esque world-map to be in the game, because that one is schweet.

Speaking of Super Mario World, :yoshi:. He should totally be in it.

Worlds based off of NSMBW

Bosses:Larry, Roy, Iggy, Ludwig von, Wendy, Morton, Lemmy, Jr., Bowser, Dry Bowser

Items: Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, Star, Super Leaf, Propeller, Penguin, Ice Flower

Pretty much New Super Mario Bros. 3

Bowaluigiser said:

Bosses:Larry, Roy, Iggy, Ludwig von, Wendy, Morton, Lemmy, Jr., Bowser, Dry Bowser

Items: Super Mushroom, Fire Flower, Star, Super Leaf, Propeller, Penguin, Ice Flower

I personally would like the boss battles in the following order:

Iggy, Morton, Lemmy, Ludwig, Roy, Wendy, Larry, Bowser Jr., Bowser

Bowaluigiser said:

I will have e Koopalings as long as Bowser Jr also appears.

Propeller Toad said:
I personally want to see SMB2 elements in this game. SMB2 seems to always be forgotten; however, a return of its elements and characters would be great to see. We have seen quite a lot of the Mushroom Kingdom, so why not return to Subcon for a while? :) This would also be the perfect opportunity to allow Toad and Peach back into a platformer as playable characters.
I keep suggesting this over and over again.

Peter Sam said:
Propeller Toad said:
I keep suggesting this over and over again.

Indeed it is good to hear that more people are in support for a SMB2 esque adventure. We've had quite the imitations of SMB, SMB3, and SMW within the latest NSMB games, and it would be refreshing for the concept to go back to the original, differentiated concept of SMB2, the land of Subcon, and as well as the very unique characters existing from it! ;D

I also really want to see the return of Peach and Toad as playable characters. It is sad to see that the two became neglected in the recent mainstream Mario games; however, to see the original quartet again would be nice to see. The 3DS eshop seems to be teasing us of the original foursome as well with that group art of the four in the multiplayer Mario game option. :P To me, the SMB2 protagonists were the perfect groups of protagonists. Yoshi and Wario were unable to match up in SM64DS imo.

Wargreymon said:
how did I forget it... If possible, multiplayer up to 4 players!!! ;D You can choose between Mario, Luigi, Peach and (Classic)Toad. That's it, PEACH! Nintendo should change the story this time. Daisy :daisy: should be kidnapped by mistake :lol:
It already becomes a problem as someone never gets in festivals which are held by her best friend .
Propeller Toad said:
Yes! Just like Wargreymon said! The classic group of Peach, and Toad need to return. These four were my personal favourite group of playable protagonists out of any Mario game.
well, rather than why Toad and Toadette have to offer their chances in NSMBWii, it's true why Peach hasn't get a chance to play if the staff don't want to introduce other characters playable in SMB.

New players are considerable, but I guess the staff are more prone to make it firstly in NSMBWiiU than handheld this time.

Really unlikely, but I hope the story is not another Peach gets kidnapped again Mario must rescue her thing.

But knowing Nintendo, they'll do it anyway, even though the story is terribly cliched.

Hey, guys. What if Bowser kidnaps Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi as the premise of the game? I'll let your imagination think about who would be playable.

Drilbur said:
Hey, guys. What if Bowser kidnaps Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi as the premise of the game? I'll let your imagination think about who would be playable.

Hmm I was thinking Toad.

That's also what I had in mind.

Out of The Big 8, Toad is the only one who is yet to have his own game.

Mario has the Mario series
Luigi has Luigi's Mansion
Peach has Super Princess Peach
Yoshi has the Yoshi series
Bowser has Bowser's Inside Story
DK has the DK series
Wario has the Wario series

Toad has diddly squat.

Drilbur said:
That's also what I had in mind.

Out of The Big 8, Toad is the only one who is yet to have his own game.

Mario has the Mario series
Luigi has Luigi's Mansion
Peach has Super Princess Peach
Yoshi has the Yoshi series
Bowser has Bowser's Inside Story
DK has the DK series
Wario has the Wario series

Toad has diddly squat.

Well Toad did have Wario's Woods.

Of course, Toad did not receive much recognition from that game. :(

Back