What would you like to see in the new 2D Mario for the 3DS?

The fact that they're releasing Excitebike and Kid Icarus in 3D (while still having the same graphics and sprites as the original game) means that a 2D Mario game can still use 3D effects.

As for what I'd like to see... Do you really have to ask? ;)

Smashgoom202 said:
The fact that they're releasing Excitebike and Kid Icarus in 3D (while still having the same graphics and sprites as the original game) means that a 2D Mario game can still use 3D effects.

Wait, so in the new game, the sprites and models will be 2D? I thought it would be more like New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, where there was sidescrolling, but the sprites and models would still be 3D.

Smashgoom202 said:

:???: I've had that since June (it was free for a month when the eShop was released).

Smashgoom202 said:

3D Classics: Super Mario Bros. 2?

That'd be pretty cool.

Drilbur said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Wait, so in the new game, the sprites and models will be 2D? I thought it would be more like New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, where there was sidescrolling, but the sprites and models would still be 3D.
I have absolutely no idea. But what I'm getting at is, if games over 20 years old can have 3D effects shoehorned into them, so can this new game, whatever it might be.

Baby Luigi said:
Really unlikely, but I hope the story is not another Peach gets kidnapped again Mario must rescue her thing.

But knowing Nintendo, they'll do it anyway, even though the story is terribly cliched.
Well yeah they have used that a lot

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Baby Luigi said:
Really unlikely, but I hope the story is not another Peach gets kidnapped again Mario must rescue her thing.

But knowing Nintendo, they'll do it anyway, even though the story is terribly cliched.
What if Peach kidnaps Mario and Bowser has to save him?

How about if Mario kidnaps Bowser and Peach has to save him?

See? If you mix up the formula, it doesn't make sense. As much as I'm tired with it, it's the only way it works.

Drilbur said:
Baby Luigi said:

See? If you mix up the formula, it doesn't make sense. As much as I'm tired with it, it's the only way it works.
Or how about we don't use kidnapping as the premise in the first place?

Loganofan20 said:
Drilbur said:
Baby Luigi said:

Okay, what would Mario's motivation be say it wasn't a kidnapping?

Drilbur said:
Loganofan20 said:
Drilbur said:
Baby Luigi said:

Look at any of the Paper games and come back.

Loganofan20 said:
Drilbur said:
Loganofan20 said:
Drilbur said:
Baby Luigi said:

Look at any of the Paper games and come back.
Although those plots are good for RPGs, I just couldn't see it in platformer form.

You know, Bowser can just simply conquer instead of kidnapping Peach

Baby Luigi said:
You know, Bowser can just simply conquer instead of kidnapping Peach
I guess that could be possible (Bowser should know by now that him and Peach can never be together, as it would result in chaos).

lol of course it would be chaos hence what happened in the beginning of Super Paper Mario lol xD

Loganofan20 said:
Drilbur said:
Baby Luigi said:

Shouldn't it have been called Dragon-napped from the very begining?

No, the work in "kid" napping applies to the victim, not the perpetrator

I want all the New Super Mario Bros. Bosses to return and maybe some Super Mario 64 DS bosses

I would want new bosses rather than the Koopalings, honestly.

I really do hope that the bosses from SMB2 make their grand re-entrances to the Mario series in a future title (perhaps even in this title). These characters definitely were unique and it was refreshing to battle them in different scenarios as opposed to facing off against turtle based villains for the last long while. It would be nice to at least see them making their 3D debut for now; however. :D

Baby Luigi said:
Yeah, I have to admit, as much as I like the Koopalings, there isn't much variety in fighting them... In that regard, it makes Super Mario 3D Land more disappointing, because there are no Koopalings, and all the boss fights are bland, boring, and repeated very often.

Like Propeller Toad said, the Super Mario Bros. 2 bosses should return, they had a goof variety, and they're classic!

Smashgoom202 said:
Baby Luigi said:
Yeah, I have to admit, as much as I like the Koopalings, there isn't much variety in fighting them... In that regard, it makes Super Mario 3D Land more disappointing, because there are no Koopalings, and all the boss fights are bland, boring, and repeated very often.

True, I enjoyed fighting the Koopalings more than Boom Boom and Pom Pom

I still do like to see the Koopalings make more appearances; however, I just feel that some others (especially those not related to Bowser) would be nice to see for once at this point of time. The SMB2 bosses definitely need more love and should return. It's their variety of moves that made me love them so in comparison to Bowser and his minions. Unfortunately, the majority of Mario fans seem to hate change (since SMB2 and Sunshine were the black sheeps in the series; ironically, they are my favourite Mario games).

The Koopalings may not have had much variety in terms of fighting; however, they do make up for it in terms of personality in a sense (though NSMB Wii did a slightly better job of differentiating them). I agree that Boom Boom and Pom Pom really were not that exciting for the most part in terms of mini bosses (just too repetitive). Though I did enjoy the break from Bowser Jr. in this game (he just had too many appearances for a while and was getting bland in a sense in my opinion).

I was thinking of Koopalings making bosses at the tower and you can fight them at the castle/airship.

Propeller Toad said:
I still do like to see the Koopalings make more appearances; however, I just feel that some others (especially those not related to Bowser) would be nice to see for once at this point of time. The SMB2 bosses definitely need more love and should return.

The Koopalings may not have had much variety in terms of fighting; Though I did enjoy the break from Bowser Jr. in this game (he just had too many appearances for a while and was getting bland in a sense in my opinion).
It's easier for Koopalings to return as Bowser's other "infrequent" minions; however, as Bowser is determined as the only main boss throughout main games, it's very hard to call another boss and his troop back, and affect the situation/formula of main games (two kings could fight each other and forget Peach), unless in other RPG games. My suggestion is Wart can be redesigned as a king of frog planet in the next Galaxy.

As the topic is about 3DS, I wonder if Koopalings are not prone to handhelds.

Dorayaki said:
As the topic is about 3DS, I wonder if Koopalings are not prone to handhelds.
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga saw the Koopalings under the control of Cackletta.

EDIT: As for SMB2 bosses, we still occasionally see Mousers (but never throwing bombs). I'd at least want to see bomb-throwing Mousers in the next game.

Back