Waluigi is being "phased out"

Toadette did have Paper Mario: TTYD as well; however, if you guys are counting the mainstream games, then I guess this would probably not count.

I don't know why Nintendo decided to add quite a few newcomers when they removed some of the veterans in the process. It could be possible that they were planned, but never made it into the final "rushed" version. Still, the question is why did Nintendo choose the newcomers over the veterans? Well it is Nintendo of course, so they probably wanted something new...

The "Waluigi is meaningless because he hasn´t showed up in a main game" argument is just tiring me. First of all, Mario is no longer just a series of platform game but a whole franchise. If we are going to dismiss the sports and multiplayer games as not that important for justifying giving the boot to a character that has been around for more than 10 years, then we shouldn´t be drooling over the next Mario Party, RPG, Tennis, Kart, or whatever game that is not a platformer, if those games are really unimportant. Also, some poeple have a double standard here, since some don´t consider certain Mario games spin offs according to their own tastes (for some, the Kart series does not count as a sport game and it is main, other people count the rpgs as main despite not being platformers too, etc).

Also, DK, Wario, and ESPECIALLY Daisy have had very little appearances in the "main" series, and most of their characterization comes from their own series and the sports games (and, in Daisy´s case, sports games only). If we actually don´t count sports, spin offs and anything non-platformer, they merely become a past enemy that hasn´t showed up in more than four games in 25 years, an one time villain and an one time damsel in distress.

So, yeah, let´s not have a double standard: Either the non-platformer Mario games don´t count, or they do.

Last, but not least, is the fact that not putting Waluigi in a "main" game (in quotes because, here, "main" differs from person to person) because he´s not popular enough, then complaining about his sports appearances because he´s unimportant due to not having showed up in a main game, is downright contradictory. It´s a never ending cycle: Waluigi is not important so he´s demoted to spin off only, yet he should be kicked out of spinoffs because if he doesn´t show up in a main game and that means he´s not important, yet he´ll never be in a main game because he´s not important so he should be reserved for spin offs only and... argh

It´s like when you´re trying to get your first important job (or any job for that matter due to the current crisis), and you´re required to have a ridiculous amount of years of experience, yet you can never get any experience if you´re never hired in any job, which causes you to keep being unemployed due to the lack of experience, and the cycle repeats itself. See the inconsistency? Well, the younger folks might not understand this example, but the older ones, if they exist in this forum, will.

On a more personal note, I think Waluigi is a character that needed to be created, so Wario could have someone to mirror the Mario Bros fully instead of being on his own. I consider him part of the core cast, partly due to his goofy characterization, which, along with Wario, gives the funniest scenes in the series (as in the whole Mario-verse) which is what makes him a funny and likeable character. For me, it´s absolutely inexcusable to have Wario and not having Waluigi or viceversa. In fact, it´s weird for me to go back and play any of the older SNES, GBC and N64 Mario multiplayer titles and having Wario but not Waluigi.

I don´t need a solo game for Waluigi, but he should be put with Wario, in platformers and/or at least in the Warioware games, and I don´t mean cameos in microgames, which he had in Smoth Moves and D.I.Y, but as a full fledged character with his own cutscenes, outfit and microgames.

I agree with you Easmo, but you need to do something about your writing style. If you're going to be making long posts like that you need to stop using ` where you should be using '. It slows reading comprehension. Also, you used "Last, but not least" less than halfway through your post.

Oh, sure. I sometimes mistake the punctuation signs due to english not being my first language. And the long rants... yeah, I need to organize them better :P I feel like Cranky Kong, who keeps rambling

The "last but not least" was used there because it was my last point about the double standard. The post can still continue after that because it goes on about another subject.

Also, can you please point where I did punctuate wrong? I don´t see the signs in reverse like you say, so I don´t know if I´m doing something wrong or if it is something language based (keyboard configuration is different in each language you know) that makes it appear that way to you.

I'm nitpicking, your puncuation is fine. Just kind of a pet peeve of mine seeing ` where I'm used to seeing '. Still, I'd suggest setting up multiple keyboard layouts(this is pretty easy on Windows Vista, don't know about anything else) for when you're typing in English.

Huh, I've seen much worse grammar/punctuation. Easmo's ` didn't slow me at reading.

Anyway, I agree with Easmo's points here. I don't understand why people seem to prioritize mainstream over spinoff. I enjoy both equally. In fact, spinoffs last longer due to multiplayer functions.

I really think Nintendo was considering adding the characters cut into Mario Kart 7, but they could not do it due to time and space restraints. So I definitely don't think Waluigi is being "phased out", just because he was left out in one game doesn't mean he's gone.

Baby Luigi said:
I really think Nintendo was considering adding the characters cut into Mario Kart 7, but they could not do it due to time and space restraints. So I definitely don't think Waluigi is being "phased out", just because he was left out in one game doesn't mean he's gone.

Ditto. Besides, Waluigi is playable in Fortune Street, and the London 2012 Olympic Games. And he will be playable in the 3DS version of the London Olympics as well.

MnSG said:
Baby Luigi said:

Ditto. Besides, Waluigi is playable in Fortune Street, and the London 2012 Olympic Games. And he will be playable in the 3DS version of the London Olympics as well.

Those games are in the same development time in Mario Kart 7, though. I was thinking about games that will be developed later. Still, I don't think Nintendo will hesitate to add Waluigi in the next Mario Kart because it definitely caused a lot of commotion.

Waluigi?
Most of my friends don't like him...But I don't think that he'll be phrased out because he often appears in MARIO KART series...

KingBooWarioSir said:
I was at GameStop today and according to the guy at the counter Nintendo is planning on phasing out Waluigi. Is This True????

AND IT DOESNT AFFECT ME IN ANYWAY CAUSE I DON' LIKEM
:DDDDD

Thought Id put this here. I emailed Yasuyuki Oyagi regarding Waluigi's possible omission and a few other things a month ago.

I finally got a reply back:

Hello Chris,
Waluigi's omission from Mario Kart 7 was a hard one for us here at Nintendo. It was due to the time constraints associated with the Christmas deadline for the game. Rest assured Waluigi will be making further appearances in the Mario series for at least the next few years. Also understand some characters, such as Waluigi, are more expendable then others and space was limited. The game needed Bowser, DK, Wario and it didnt need the few expendable characters that we here consider "cult classics". We needed a balance between new racers and our standards. Also, regarding Wario as an unlockable character for future games, that will not happen. This was a one-time instance to pay tribute to the SNES original and nothing more. Koopa Kid is retired.

Yasuyuki Oyagi

Aww, no more Koopa Kid? :'(

Since they're always "aware" of Waluigi, etc. existing, why does it seem like they forget about them when they make non-spin off games? A cameo would be something at least...I'd love to talk to that guy about that...

They would never phase him out. He's been around far too long for them to get away with it. Same for Daisy, Toadette, etc.

Here's an interesting fact: Not counting SML, MK7 was the first game to have Daisy but not Waluigi, but multiple games have had Waluigi but not Daisy.

DaisyCrazy14 said:
Here's an interesting fact: Not counting SML, MK7 was the first game to have Daisy but not Waluigi, but multiple games have had Waluigi but not Daisy.

I cant think of any game waluigi's in that daisy is not besides Mario golf advanced Tour, Mario DDR, and Game & Watch Gallery Advance.....

^ There you go. :P Also, in a way, Mario Kart Arcade GP2. Daisy WAS in the game (as a bystander during the awards ceremonies and her face on the Daisy Cruiser in the background of a beach course), but was not playable, while Waluigi was.

KingBooWarioSir said:
Thought Id put this here. I emailed Yasuyuki Oyagi regarding Waluigi's possible omission and a few other things a month ago.

I finally got a reply back:

Hello Chris,
Waluigi's omission from Mario Kart 7 was a hard one for us here at Nintendo. It was due to the time constraints associated with the Christmas deadline for the game. Rest assured Waluigi will be making further appearances in the Mario series for at least the next few years. Also understand some characters, such as Waluigi, are more expendable then others and space was limited. The game needed Bowser, DK, Wario and it didnt need the few expendable characters that we here consider "cult classics". We needed a balance between new racers and our standards. Also, regarding Wario as an unlockable character for future games, that will not happen. This was a one-time instance to pay tribute to the SNES original and nothing more. Koopa Kid is retired.

Yasuyuki Oyagi

Oh, thanks for that now i understand with why Bowser Jr wasnt in , you see SM3DL didnt contain BJ because it was paying a tribute to Super Mario Bros 3

So that's why there was no Waluigi and looks like we will never be seeing Koopa Kid again.

I'm hoping for Mario Kart Wii U right now and they'll likely readd Waluigi to the Mario Kart series

Baby Luigi said:
I'm hoping for Mario Kart Wii U right now and they'll likely readd Waluigi to the Mario Kart series

It will come. It's only a matter of when the development will begin.

KingBooWarioSir said:

Hello Chris,

Yasuyuki Oyagi
The fact that he just said "Koopa Kid is retired" is just....funny.
Sorry, I just had to say this. How big of a bump is thi-
3 years.
Okay, someone's getting banned.

No, wait. We can fix this.

I disagree. Waluigi is still used a lot. Mario Kart 7 was a one-time exception, and even then they at least tried to include him.

Hopefully one day he'll get his own game.

Back