Should there be a story in the next SSB game?

Should there be a story in the next SSB game?

• Yes! I only play them for the story.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Honestly I don't care. I won't use it anyways.

• Why no one likes it

• They are the only reason I don't play it.

• Total voters

YoshiMonsta

Yoshi! Yoshi!
Be honest. What do you think? Should there or should there not be?

we know there will be SSB4....

basically, the story in SSB3 is based on that when SSB2, the adventure mode is lack of hysical story
so if SSB4 do still have adventure mode, they probably make another story
so unless most players don't want to read or follow story to unlock what they want

another problem is that, is it easy to make another complex story ?
I think SSB3 didn't really wrack out, it's just telling the crossover happening
so I think SSB4 can choose:
(1) make original subcharacters who tell that their nation is threatened, to develop a concrete story
(2) to make new-join characters the main hero or vallian of SSB4 story

Of course there will be a story. The Subspace Emissary is one of the reasons why Brawl was so much better than Melee.

The Subspace Emissary stunk big time. There was no need for original forgettable enemies in a crossover.

If there is a story with characters traveling in Nintendo worlds, then it's better.

But if we have the Subspace Emissary again, then, no story. Super Smash Bros. is supposed to be a light-hearted cartoonish fighter, not some deep, fleshed out, dull, game.

The Subspace Emissary dull?

But it contains the only-ever cinematics with crossover characters. The cutscenes were great, the story was okay, the gameplay was at least enjoyable...

I don't see what you had a problem with. Besides, they're in the Smash Universe, not the Mushroom Kingdom. The game isn't only about the Mario series so the best way to merge universes is to make an entirely new setting for them.

Gameplay-wise, aside from Tabuu and the Primids, the next story mode (if there's going to be one), should have generic enemies from most if not all the Nintendo (and Sonic and Metal Gear) series not the rest of the original Subspace enemies who were a PITA by the way.

But yeah, I agree with you about the cutscenes. There really ought to be a movie based on the Subspace Emissiary. I love the plots that have those worst-case scenarios forcing the heroes get all the help they can get, like teaming up with their arch-enemies.

Dr. Javelin said:
The Subspace Emissary dull?

But it contains the only-ever cinematics with crossover characters. The cutscenes were great, the story was okay, the gameplay was at least enjoyable...

I don't see what you had a problem with. Besides, they're in the Smash Universe, not the Mushroom Kingdom. The game isn't only about the Mario series so the best way to merge universes is to make an entirely new setting for them.

I'm not saying the story is dull. I'm saying that the colors and aesthetics of the game happens to be very dull. If you compare the atmosphere of Super Smash Bros. and Brawl, you can see the difference.

Also, the Subspace Emissary's story can use plenty of work. Mario and Link need bigger roles while Kirby can play major, but not a biased and overcentralized role.

The colors...

...were dull.

what

So what you're saying is because they didn't use super cartoony visuals, the colors are dull now.

That doesn't make sense at all. Yes, the colors are more subdued but that means that they actually tried to make realistic backgrounds. Would you rather they take the Halberd and slop bright red paint over it? So it isn't dull?

I loved the Subspace Emissary only for its storyline and the cinematic movies (though it would be a lot more awesome if there was full voice acting).

The gameplay, however just sucks. Intense mode is still stupidly hard, even with specific PSA hacks (the platforms move WAY. TOO. FAST. that it becomes a test where you should know the stage if you're not going to die). I can't imagine anyone completing the Subspace Emissary without getting a single game-over because of the stupid extremely fast moving platforms in a particular stage and the damage you can accumulate (with the hacks, my sister and I had, like, 800+ percent damage).

Dr. Javelin said:
The colors...

...were dull.

what

So what you're saying is because they didn't use super cartoony visuals, the colors are dull now.

That doesn't make sense at all. Yes, the colors are more subdued but that means that they actually tried to make realistic backgrounds. Would you rather they take the Halberd and slop bright red paint over it? So it isn't dull?

No, not necessarily. I think Brawl can just use a little more vivid colors, that's all. Meta Knight's Halberd can be a brighter black. Kirby's body can be a little more pink. The problem with this game, is that the developers try to achieve this "serious" feel to the game by slightly de-saturating the colors, if you know what I mean.

The cutscenes were the only good parts of the Subspace Emissary. Otherwise, I wish the developers can work on something better, or they can achieve the quirky "cross-over" feel.

You want brighter colors in the next one, go to your TV's settings and turn up the COLOR, CONTRAST, BRIGHTNESS, and HUE settings.

Ta-da.

Or we can hack the textures to make them more saturated, like what some users did at Kitty Corp

Why not make a new story mode, and also make new weapons like machine guns

Yes the story makes the game a bit more interesting but like what Nitwit said I would like enemies from many different series.

YoshiMonsta said:
Yeah It would be good to have enemies and bosses from many varieties

I see absolutely no point in posting in marquee....

Anyway, I agree that the Subspace Emissary needs to focus less on original enemies and more on the target series (besides Mario) and names from actual games (other than Skyworld). It may be minor, but having levels with titles such as, "The Plains" irks me.

Agreed. Instead of having "The Forest" have "DK Jungle". Instead of "The Plains" have "Stardust fields" Or "Just Plains"
:dk: agrees

I really liked the subspace Emissary. The cutscenes and storyline were great. Makes me imagine it being a good movie. The gameplay was OK, but the enemies....not so great.

Intense difficulty is a killer in the Subspace Emissary.

The story wasn't very good for a crossover. It should focus more on characters walking through worlds. And there's the obvious Kirby bias while characters like Link and Mario don't play as big roles.

Ornithologist Mario said:
Intense difficulty is a killer in the Subspace Emissary.

The story wasn't very good for a crossover. It should focus more on characters walking through worlds. And there's the obvious Kirby bias while characters like Link and Mario don't play as big roles.
Try playing Halo on Legendary Mode. The first Halo.

The next Adventure Mode should focus on the classic villains and enemies, instead of mere originals. That way, even the generic enemies can get represented in some way.

Back