Mario Sports Mix

Ornithologist Mario said:
I really dislike the small roster and the broken Final Fantasy Characters.
This, I loath the small roster... if the roster was bigger(25+) then I wouldn't really mind the FF characters as much.

^Did anyone really mind the FF characters in Mario Hoops? I remember there being barely any complaints against them (but I guess that due to the fact that Hoops had more characters in its roster).

Considering that Square Enix was involved with this game, it's pretty much typical that one of that company's franchises would be involved as well. However, seeing both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest get represented is rather surprising, to say the least.

Propeller Toad said:
^Did anyone really mind the FF characters in Mario Hoops? I remember there being barely any complaints against them (but I guess that due to the fact that Hoops had more characters in its roster).

I think Mario Hoops 3-on-3 had a rather large roster for a DS game.

Remember, we are comparing a DS game to a Wii game. DS isn't as powerful as the Wii.

^That is true, but I think the roster size was definitely one of the downfalls of the game. It's too bad considering that the Wii could have handled a much larger roster. Regardless, I still found the MSM to be very enjoyable.

Yeah, same thing here. Toad isn't treated like a team player unlike other games.

I have to wonder why a Wii game's roster is smaller than a DS game's.

The fact that Toad was not a team member/sidekick was one of things I especially liked in this game (he looked too generic otherwise).

I also wonder that to. Sports Mix pretty much removed all the generic minion characters from Hoops as well as Birdo and Dixie Kong (oddly enough). Perhaps it was the addition of four sports that caused an increase of memory? Regardless, while the game still has plenty of replay value, it's only lacking point was that it felt a bit too shallow (there weren't too many unique modes).

There must be a reason why the roster was this small (though I must admit that the Mario cast roster we received included the most important ones). Perhaps Square did this intentionally?

I don't quite think it's a memory issue. The Wii is a ton more powerful than the DS and can support more characters (look at Super Sluggers, 40+ characters with separate animations and stats!). Most games don't use up all their disc space anyway (Mario Kart Wii is one example). I don't know why the roster shrunk considerably in Mario Sports Mix

I think Square Enix was lazy or they forgot the characters.

I don't know why they would disappoint fans of Mario Hoops 3-on-3 by not including all the characters from that game.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't quite think it's a memory issue. The Wii is a ton more powerful than the DS and can support more characters (look at Super Sluggers, 40+ characters with separate animations and stats!). Most games don't use up all their disc space anyway (Mario Kart Wii is one example). I don't know why the roster shrunk considerably in Mario Sports Mix

Single-layered ISOs can hold up to 4.37 GB, but from what I found, when compressed, the Mario Sports Mix ISO (2.26 GB; NTSC-U) uses less memory than the Mario Kart Wii ISO (2.58 GB; NTSC-U).

It proves Baby Luigi's point, does it?

The Luigi's Mansion theme always sounded good to me (even though it was not the original theme) as it was pretty catchy. However, it sounds too similar to the Luigi's Mansion from Mario's Hoops.

My personal favourites are Jr. Boulevard and Toad Park. I loved the theme of Jr. Street from Mario Hoops, and while Jr. Blvd sounds like a toned down version of it, the tune still sounds good. Toad Park on the other hand is light, bouncy, and gives a strong feel of Super Mario Galaxy at some times. It's somewhat like Toad's Midway Madness from MP4 as well. Bowser's Castle in both MSM and Hoops sound great as well.

My favorite music is Feed Petey 1 and 2, Western Junction, Smash Skate 2, Bob-omb Dodge 2, and Harmony Hustle. Mario Sports Mix has a soundtrack worth listening to IMO

I found the Mario Stadium one to be pretty catchy.

How about we discuss the sports and how certain characters handle them.

To start out, I find the White Mage to be an effective Volleyball player. Her method of blocking volleyball shots is quite good (one of the best, if not the best, in my personal opinion), and the best part is that it has decently good range, and the Powerful characters can't push it back. Of course, fake outs can still bypass the barrier, and timing the move is crucial as well.

Lastly, her Special Shot can be quite unpredictable, since no one knows where the volleyball will be landing until the last second; in other words, you can catch your opponents off-guard if they're not fast enough.

The only downside is that her full power shots aren't very fast, but you can always do fake outs to trick your opponents.

LuigiNo.1 said:
Waluigi's Special Shot deserves some credit.
He can throw/attack up to 4 times.If you know how to aim,it is very unprobable for all 4 balls/pucks to be blocked with the exception of basketball.Or dodged in dodgeball.But :waluigi: himself is only average out of that.

Oddly, in Basketball, each shot that Waluigi makes successfully with his Special Shot is only worth 1 point, so you need to hope that all the shots connect if you want that Special Shot to be good. Of course, this is likely done to make that Special Shot less useful than the others.

Toad's Mushrooms in Volleyball happen to catch many people off guard.

Toad Park and Starship are my favourite stages.

I really hate how annoying Yoshis are (in Star Cup, my brother and I versed two of them). White Mage has a good recovery (her magic field). Moogle's special is also unpredictable!

MagicalToadette! said:
I really hate how annoying Yoshis are (in Star Cup, my brother and I versed two of them). White Mage has a good recovery (her magic field). Moogle's special is also unpredictable!

The Black Mage has a long range move that acts as his dive in Volleyball. It's quite useful against most Special Shots, but it doesn't do so well against Moogle's Special Shot.

Wario's Special Shot is a double-edged sword, as it hinders opponents and Wario at the same time.

I hate Ninja's special in Basketball. It's too random.

I think the combination of Mario's Fireball and a shell in Hockey is a great one. If Mario's Fireball gets blocked, you can use another character to hit the blocking guy with the shell and score a point most of the time.

Back