Mario Sports Mix

I can manage a decent amount of point bonuses; however, my opponents often manage to get x10s and x20s at the last minute (I still remember that match of basketball against the Light Blue and Pink Yoshis).

Also it is good that Toad is a great player in this game. He deserves it after having no appearance oddly in Mario Hoops. I also like that spore counter move he has (the white shield he emits). A good volleyball counter.

Propeller Toad said:
Also it is good that Toad is a great player in this game. He deserves it after having no appearance oddly in Mario Hoops.

Toad does make an appearance in Mario Hoops 3-on-3, just not playable. Remember that sprite of him?

Yes, I remember the one with him (or two Toads?) holding the signs for the options. I also think that the Toad's House theme was also in that game. But still, it was nice of him to appear playable again (I did not understand why they included Paratroopa, boo, and fly guy over him).

Yeah, it was one Toad holding up that options sign and two Toad sprites in the tutorial.

I did not understand why they included Paratroopa, boo, and fly guy over him

I don't understand Square's logic of doing that also. But you can also ask Camelot why they excluded Toad in Mario Power Tennis as well

Hm, very true. It is beyond my thoughts of why they included Wiggler and two versions of Shy Guy before they resorted to including notable characters like Toad, Toadette, Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, and Birdo. I hope it was not the power shots issue.

Anyways, who are your secondary mains? I usually resort to Bowser Jr. and Luigi (just general preference to the characters if anything). Toad is my main guy though (also in multiplayer).

Propeller Toad said:
Anyways, who are your secondary mains? I usually resort to Bowser Jr. and Luigi (just general preference to the characters if anything). Toad is my main guy though (also in multiplayer).

Wow, we have a lot more in common than we thought.

Haha, cool. So they're your secondaries as well? That is interesting. I find these guys pretty interesting to use (as well as my general favourite Mario characters in the series).

Yes, they are my secondaries as well. I just like the kid characters for some reason, and Bowser Jr. is no exception. And Luigi used to be my favorite character until Baby guy takes over. So that's why they're my team. Along with Toad (Blue guy) of course

I guess it makes sense considering that you are a Baby Luigi fan (in terms of your Luigi preference). Also not to mention that Toad does look like a kid rather than an adult himself as well summing it up.

I also generally tend to like the smaller and speedy characters. Just my preference. From Pichu in Melee (yes, I mained Pichu) to Toad in the Mario games; it has become my habit to choose these types of characters. Toad and Jr. both appealing in design and are fun to use as well (to me at least). Luigi is awesome as well.

Toad has not always been my favorite, though. Actually, pretty recently due to Mario Party DS. Still, I am very fond of Toad and ever since New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Blue Toad is my favorite guy, though I don't mind Toad either.

Smaller and speedier characters have a great advantage in Hockey. The Shy Goalie sucks, so they make great, speedy offenses and defenses. Speedy characters are also great in Basketball and Volleyball. I really think you don't need power too much.

I don't really care so much if my team's imbalanced. I chose these characters because I like them

I completed 100% of that game several months back. From what I remember, the following were my top 5 character picks.

Basketball
1: Yoshi
2: White Mage
3: Toad
4: Mario
5: Black Mage

Volleyball
1: White Mage
2: Yoshi
3: Mario
4: Toad
5: Slime

Dodgeball
1: Yoshi
2: White Mage
3: Toad
4: Mario
5: Black Mage

Hockey
1: Black Mage
2: Mario
3: Yoshi
4: Toad
5: Slime

Note: Slime is only on the list, because I had to play 40 matches to get all of its alternate forms.

Toad has not always been my favorite, though. Actually, pretty recently due to Mario Party DS. Still, I am very fond of Toad and ever since New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Blue Toad is my favorite guy, though I don't mind Toad either.

Smaller and speedier characters have a great advantage in Hockey. The Shy Goalie sucks, so they make great, speedy offenses and defenses. Speedy characters are also great in Basketball and Volleyball. I really think you don't need power too much.

I don't really care so much if my team's imbalanced. I chose these characters because I like them

Ah, one difference. Toad has been my favourite since I first saw him in SMB 2 (as playable). However, I agree with your other point. Blue Toad is also my favourite player in NSMB Wii as well (Yellow Toad does not have much of an appeal as him to me). I wish he was playable in single player mode though (if my sister is not playing, I resort to using Mario as a decoy while I use Blue Toad).

Also agreed about the team balancing factor. I choose my characters based on my liking towards them. In Sports Mix, I chose Toad because he's my favourite from the series and not just for his stats.

@MnSG

100%? Awesome! I haven't gotten that far yet (still needs to do more unlocking). Maybe at Christmas, I'll try for it. Did it take long to complete it? (Sports Mix is pretty long in my opinion for the tournaments - though I tend to procrastinate here).

Propeller Toad said:
@MnSG

100%? Awesome! I haven't gotten that far yet (still needs to do more unlocking). Maybe at Christmas, I'll try for it. Did it take long to complete it? (Sports Mix is pretty long in my opinion for the tournaments).

Well it did take me quite a while to figure out how to unlock the medleys for Harmony Hustle. You have to clear each of the three songs in tournament mode to unlock the medleys.

Regarding Sports Mix mode, I was doing 2-on-2 matches for the Mushroom and Flower cups. For the Star Cup, I went 3-on-3 with the team of Mario, White Mage, and Bowser Jr..

1st round was dodgeball, where my opponents were two Yoshis and Bowser. Bowser was the bull's eye in that match.

2nd round was hockey, where Slime, Yoshi, and Diddy were my opponents. Basically, I played hard, and I won on my first try.

3rd round was basketball against the Final Fantasy team. I lost on my first try, but on try number 2, I was able to win the match.

Behemoth King was my last challenge. I started out controlling Mario, but later switched to Bowser Jr. after depleting 50% of Behemoth King's health. White Mage did get knocked out briefly though.

Wow, you've got great memory! Good details. ;)

I'm still stuck at those star mission modes that are reached once you take the airship on the Star Cup (I forget what they're called). Right now, I am attempting to at least unlock all the characters before moving on to the higher difficulty levels of the cups.

I have not reached the Behemoth King; however, for the regular Behemoth boss, I use my duo combo of Toad and Jr. (if it is only me)/White Mage (if my sister is playing). I usually end up being the one to survive while running around (still attempting to master the fire meteor shot).

Behemoth King can only be fought in Sports Mix mode. Just keep that in mind.

P.S.: I had to refer to one of my past posts to refresh my memory, but the two Yoshis and Bowser part was stuck in my head for quite a long time.

Baby Luigi said:

Agreed with this, although I find odd that this game has duplicate characters yet you can´t use more than one on your team (ie: you can´t have more than one Toad) yet the CPU can AND WILL abuse duplicate characters, which can be pretty much overkill (have you ever faced a team of 3 Toads in the higher difficulties in Volleyball? God, their lunge is pretty much broken).

Seriously, what´s the point of having duplicate characters if you can´t choose more than one of them? You could do it in Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Baseball and Mario Super Sluggers.

Also, do they have any differences? Slime and their clones do, as in she-slime is slightly faster and metal slime is pretty much a power character despite being labelled as tricky. The coloured Toads and Yoshis on the other hand play pretty much all the same.

My mains are usually my own Mii, Waluigi and either she-slime or Black Mage. Although, I usually end using everyone in every Mario sports game.

EDIT: Another oddity: why is Cactuar labelled as a tricky character? I mean, yes, I know that this game considers a character to be in the tricky class if he/she exceeds a lot in a particular stat while weaker in the others, and Cactuar´s speed is insane, but still, it´s odd to see him labelled as tricky and not speed. I guess it´s kind of like Paratroopa being labelled as technique in Mario Power Tennis, despite playing like a deffensive character (his lunge was insane: he could cover almost half the court with it!)

Easmo said:
EDIT: Another oddity: why is Cactuar labelled as a tricky character? I mean, yes, I know that this game considers a character to be in the tricky class if he/she exceeds a lot in a particular stat while weaker in the others, and Cactuar´s speed is insane, but still, it´s odd to see him labelled as tricky and not speed. I guess it´s kind of like Paratroopa being labelled as technique in Mario Power Tennis, despite playing like a deffensive character (his lunge was insane: he could cover almost half the court with it!)

The one thing that I find odd is that not all the playables are given the same stat totals. The Final Fantasy team would be an exception though, since Ninja, White Mage, and Black Mage should each have a higher stat total than the other characters.

For those who are confused...

Bowser, Slime, Moogle, and Cactuar have a stat total of 8; Ninja and White Mage have a stat total of 10; everyone else is a 9.

Also, Cactuar is the only character to have an abnormally high stat, but its other two stats are at abysmal levels; a small boost in power would help it a bit. Bowser, Black Mage, Slime, and Moogle heavily lack that feature, since two of their three stats are at below average levels. Imagine something like...

-------------------
Bowser

PWR: 6/5
SPD: 1/5
TEC: 2/5

Total: 9/15
-------------------
Black Mage

PWR: 2/5
SPD: 2/5
TEC: 6/5

Total: 10/15
-------------------
Slime

PWR: 6/5
TEC: 1/5

-------------------
Moogle

PWR: 1/5
TEC: 6/5

-------------------
Cactuar

PWR: 2/5
SPD: 6/5
TEC: 1/5

-------------------

The only problem here though, is that Bowser isn't a Tricky character, but he is the only non-Tricky to have a stat total below 9.

Its actually and Okish game, could have done better with the character roster size and it isn't the greatest game ever, My team:Ultra White White Mage, Magic Red Black mage, Bowser jr.

My team is usually Mario, Diddy, and Luigi, or just Mario and Diddy Kong.

I really dislike the small roster and the broken Final Fantasy Characters.

None of the characters are terrible, but some are suited better for some modes. Speedy characters do much better in Hockey, for instance.

Ornithologist Mario said:
I really dislike the small roster and the broken Final Fantasy Characters.

My only complaint is the small roster. It's smaller than Mario Hoops 3-on-3's roster, which is a bummer. The roster could've at least included...

Birdo: All-Around
Tiny Kong: All-Around
Wiggler: Technical
Rosalina: Technical
Koopa Troopa: Speedy
Dixie Kong: Speedy
Toadette: Speedy
Hammer Bro: Powerful
Kritter: Powerful
King K. Rool: Powerful
Boo: Tricky
Dry Bones: Tricky

I agree that Mario Sports Mix should have included more Mario characters. If only Square had done that, then the game would not have been disliked as much (some people disliked it due to the lack of unlockable Mario characters). While we did have the main 12 Mario spin-off reps already in the game, adding characters like Toadette or Birdo would not have hurt as well. Then, the roster would have been much more fun to play as, and I bet most people would not mind the Final Fantasy characters as much...

This was pretty sad considering that even Mario Hoops for the DS had more characters than MSM. We only had three newcomers in Sports Mix: Toad, Slime, and the Miis.

Back