Mario Tennis Open

Rosalina needs a clear partner.^

Lily said:
Rosalina needs a clear partner.^

Yeah that is a problem. After all, Yoshi and Boo don't exactly work, and it's even weirder if Rosalina's partner turned out to be Blooper.

Basically, it's not easy when generics are being deconfirmed as being playable, as it can heavily limit the inputs that you can think up. Also, there's the type balance to take into account; excluding the Miis, there would be "3" characters for each of the 6 types that I've inputted.

Lily said:
Rosalina should get Lubba or something

Well again there's the type balance issue, as Donkey Kong, Wario, and Bowser already occupy the Power type slots. Lubba would break that balance, unless he played as a different type; probably Defense.

I want Lubba playable

But odds are, we'll get H. Queen for Rosalina's partner instead

I have a similar feeling, but it's more related to the character types. Mario Power Tennis didn't exactly utilize the character types in a balanced manner after all.

There is a serious lack of defense characters and all-round characters, that's for sure.

La Marionette said:
There is a serious lack of defense characters and all-round characters, that's for sure.

That, and there were one too many Technique and Power characters. Petey was an amusing inclusion, but really, his head is just a huge target for getting hit by tennis balls.

For Koopa Paratroopa, it used to be a Tricky character; Bowser Jr. and Tricky type don't exactly mix, but his footwork probably wasn't fast enough to be treated as a Speedy character; Yoshi is more suited as being All-Around nowadays.

Of course, even with those adjustments, the Defense type would still be short by "1", and that's because Petey is too strong to be a Defense type character.

Yoshidude99 said:
Rosalina should have Polari as a partner.
Oh please no. That would be as bad as Queen Bee.

And I also do not want any other Kong's apart from Donkey, Diddy and Dixie. I really don't want to see Candy.

New Super Yoshi said:
Yoshidude99 said:
Rosalina should have Polari as a partner.
Oh please no. That would be as bad as Queen Bee.

And I also do not want any other Kong's apart from Donkey, Diddy and Dixie. I really don't want to see Candy.
What's wrong with Polari?

Gardevoir said:
I wonder how rosalinas tennis costume would look O_O... And would her shoes be grey or blue..

Rosalina's sports outfit could be based on a texture hack that I did up for Brawl (the texture edits are mine, but the vertex edits were done by someone else)...

rosalinasports.png

Basically, Rosalina's outfit would have the following elements...

1: A long sleeved dress, which matches the color scheme of Rosalina's basic dress, with the skirt being made shorter; it would reach down to Rosalina's knees, making it longer than Peach's tennis outfit. This would make Rosalina different from Peach and Daisy, who both wear sleeveless dresses.

2: Rosalina would wear shorts underneath the skirt. No need to explain why, apart from avoiding unexpected thong sightings.

3: Rosalina's footwear has her wearing turquoise high heels, instead of her basic silver high heels, and she doesn't wear any socks. Rosalina's shoes may appear inconvenient for sports, but when you think it over, the White Mage's shoes aren't exactly built for sports either, and yet she competed in Mario Hoops 3-on-3, and Mario Sports Mix while wearing them. Again, this would make Rosalina different from Peach and Daisy, who both wear flat surfaced shoes that are more convenient for sports.

4: The tennis racquet would be turquoise colored, with a Grand Star symbol displayed on it.

Edit: Oops, I meant to say "knees" for the first element.

MnSG said:
La Marionette said:

That, and there were one too many Technique and Power characters. Petey was an amusing inclusion, but really, his head is just a huge target for getting hit by tennis balls.

I don't think his hitbox extends to his head. I've seen severs serve the ball through his head

MnSG said:

I definitely want to see that turn official one day

I want Toad and Toadette, but I don't want to classify them under Speedy and Technical; we have so much of these characters.

La Marionette said:
I want Toad and Toadette, but I don't want to classify them under Speedy and Technical; we have so much of these characters.

Do what I suggest: make them All-Around

Buster Baxter said:
Yeah, why are Mario and Luigi the only "All-Around" characters?

*shrugs*

I guess Nintendo enjoys making them clones of each other as much as possible

I wish Mario and Luigi can be Technique, Power, or Speed... anything but All-Around for once. :( Nintendo probably made them All-Around because they are the most recognizable, so they want them beginner friendly. (In Mario Kart, actually, Light-Weights would be beginner friendly :???:)

Mario being "All-Around" kind of makes sense since he's the "Jack of all Stats" type of character meaning he's good at everything, but he's not best at anything.

Still, Luigi could fit Technique or Speed.

Or perhaps Defense. I don't want him All-Around, though. I just don't like Luigi's being a clone of Mario. It sometimes seems pointless to use one twin over the other.

La Marionette said:
Or perhaps Defense. I don't want him All-Around, though. I just don't like Luigi's being a clone of Mario. It sometimes seems pointless to use one twin over the other.

Luigi's the more defensive one than Mario because he has more reach and he's slightly weaker

In Mario Power Tennis, there are a couple of differencces between Mario and Luigi. Luigi's faster and has less traction and I find Luigi's offensive power shot to be weaker tha Mario's but IMO, it's harder to hit back since the tennis ball's yellow color blends with the stars and Luigi's defensive power shot never fails, unlike Mario's, I used Mario's defensive power shot once, where he jump and twirled over to the tennis ball and couldn't hit it.

Back