Mario Tennis Open

Buster Baxter said:
In Mario Power Tennis, there are a couple of differencces between Mario and Luigi. Luigi's faster and has less traction and I find Luigi's offensive power shot to be weaker tha Mario's but IMO, it's harder to hit back since the tennis ball's yellow color blends with the stars and Luigi's defensive power shot never fails, unlike Mario's, I used Mario's defensive power shot once, where he jump and twirled over to the tennis ball and couldn't hit it.

For us, countless numbers of times where Mario's defense shot failed

Yes, there are very noticeable differences. I think Luigi is not necessarily faster; he has more reach due to his height. Mario also seems to have more power.

In my copy, when both use their hammers, the effects of other power shots gets negated. For instance, when Yoshi used his Rainbow Power Shot at my, I responded with Mario's Hammer, but Mario didn't get pushed back like what he normally should. However, I still had the slow side-effect.

However, how Mario's defensive Power Shot has a tendency to fail annoys me to no end. Daisy has the same problem as well.

I'm worried about this game a little. It's out in about a month and we still practically know nothing about this game. No new characters, no new modes, nothing much still. And everything looks recycled from Mario Power Tennis.

My fingers are still crossed for Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, but I'm losing a little hope :'(

Baby Luigi said:
I'm worried about this game a little. It's out in about a month and we still practically know nothing about this game. No new characters, no new modes, nothing much still. And everything looks recycled from Mario Power Tennis.

My fingers are still crossed for Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, but I'm losing a little hope :'(

You're worrying too much, the Mario tennis games have secret characters so they'll be more.

Oh but uh, maybe keep worrying about the babies being included. Because I kinda doubt they're top priority before other characters.

Buster Baxter said:
In Mario Power Tennis, there are a couple of differencces between Mario and Luigi. Luigi's faster and has less traction and I find Luigi's offensive power shot to be weaker tha Mario's but IMO, it's harder to hit back since the tennis ball's yellow color blends with the stars and Luigi's defensive power shot never fails, unlike Mario's, I used Mario's defensive power shot once, where he jump and twirled over to the tennis ball and couldn't hit it.

Mario's Defensive Power Shot only fails if the ball if way too far away for him to hit back. If the ball is close to Mario, then the Power Shot is sure to hit its mark. Not once has it failed on my end, but the CPUs can sure mess it up.

Baby Luigi said:
La Marionette said:
I want Toad and Toadette, but I don't want to classify them under Speedy and Technical; we have so much of these characters.

Do what I suggest: make them All-Around

Toadette is way too weak to qualify as being All-Around. She'd easily qualify as a Speedy type, seeing as her foot work is fast in the Mario Baseball series.

La Marionette said:
I wish Mario and Luigi can be Technique, Power, or Speed... anything but All-Around for once. :( Nintendo probably made them All-Around because they are the most recognizable, so they want them beginner friendly. (In Mario Kart, actually, Light-Weights would be beginner friendly :???:)

Wario and Waluigi are more extreme versions of Mario and Luigi. So while the Mario Bros. are treated as All-Around, their nasty counterparts excel a bit better at the Mario Bros.' greatest strengths; Wario being Power; Waluigi being Defense.

MnSG said:
Toadette is way too weak to qualify as being All-Around. She'd easily qualify as a Speedy type, seeing as her foot work is fast in the Mario Baseball series.

I disregard the baseball series. Besides, Baby Mario is the most powerful speedy character in Mario Tennis 64, and Daisy (supposed to be technique) ended up Speedy in the Olympics

The problem with Toadette is that she would be a great candidate for speedy, but I don't want to overcrowd the roster with speedy characters.

La Marionette said:
The problem with Toadette is that she would be a great candidate for speedy, but I don't want to overcrowd the roster with speedy characters.

I would rather reserve the speedy category for Baby Mario and Baby Luigi

That is, if they're in.

I want Toad in the Technique category. Also, for some reason, the Technique seems to be a way to put female characters only. Why can't we have a female Speedy, Power, Tricky, All-Around, or Defense?

Daisy should be a female Power if you ask me. Come on, she's a tomboy!

Or at least she can be an All-Around.

Rosalina could easily qualify as a Tricky type, as she could give her shots curves that are stronger than what even Boo can pull off.

La Marionette said:
That is, if they're in.

I want Toad in the Technique category. Also, for some reason, the Technique seems to be a way to put female characters only. Why can't we have a female Speedy, Power, Tricky, All-Around, or Defense?

Speedy: Toadette, Dixie Kong(maybe?)
Power: Queen Bee
Tricky: ?
All-Around: Tiny Kong(maybe?), Candy Kong
Defense: Rosalina, Tiny Kong(maybe), Pom Pom

Lily said:
Baby Luigi said:
Daisy should be a female Power if you ask me. Come on, she's a tomboy!
A female power character would need to be really bulky.

Not necessarily. It doesn't need to follow the stereotype

Taking into account that being a 3DS game will not allow the game to have a very big roster, I'm betting for this one:

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Daisy
5) Yoshi
6) Boo
7) Wario
8 ) Waluigi
9) Donkey Kong
10) Diddy Kong
11) Bowser
12) Bowser Jr.
13) Rosalina (unlockable)
14) Koopa Troopa/Paratroopa (unlockable)

... And that's it =/ Not even Mario Power Tennis had a big roster...

FMGBASKFH said:
Taking into account that being a 3DS game will not allow the game to have a very big roster, I'm betting for this one:

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Daisy
5) Yoshi
6) Boo
7) Wario
8 ) Waluigi
9) Donkey Kong
10) Diddy Kong
11) Bowser
12) Bowser Jr.

Mario Kart 7 had a bigger roster.

And do you know that data rarely fills out the space it's provided?

FMGBASKFH said:
1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Daisy
5) Yoshi
6) Boo
7) Wario
8 ) Waluigi
9) Donkey Kong
10) Diddy Kong
11) Bowser
12) Bowser Jr.

That's about as big as the Mario Tennis 64 roster

A 14 character roster would make the character type amounts imbalanced. This is pretty much why 18 characters (excluding Miis) seems more valid.

The problem is that the balancing issue might still be prevalent, like in Mario Power Tennis.

I still like your roster, though.

La Marionette said:
The problem is that the balancing issue might still be prevalent, like in Mario Power Tennis.

I still like your roster, though.

Yeah Nintendo just doesn't seem to listen to those types of things.

La Marionette said:
FMGBASKFH said:

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Daisy
5) Yoshi
6) Boo
7) Wario
8 ) Waluigi
9) Donkey Kong
10) Diddy Kong
11) Bowser
12) Bowser Jr.

Mario Kart 7 had a bigger roster.

And do you know that data rarely fills out the space it's provided?

By just two characters. And no, I didn't know that, but knowing Nintendo...

Baby Luigi said:
That's about as big as the Mario Tennis 64 roster

Exactly. Remember this is a handheld game; they don't have that much space. But now that I think about it, maybe they'll put two more characters to give Rosalina a partner. We already know Luma is not playable, but I just can't see Lubba as a character (even though I'd like that a lot). Queen Bee is the other option (I wouldn't like that) and I can't see any other Galaxy character who could fit as Rosalina's partner.

Heck, we don't even know if Rosalina is playable =/

FMGBASKFH said:

1) Mario
2) Luigi
3) Peach
4) Daisy
5) Yoshi
6) Boo
7) Wario
8 ) Waluigi
9) Donkey Kong
10) Diddy Kong
11) Bowser
12) Bowser Jr.

Mario Hoops 3-on-3 for the NDS is 16+5=21 characters.
Mario Sports Mix for the Wii is 12+6=18 characters and roster is smaller than previous game.

My MTO unlockable characters Ideas (Like more as Hoops 3-on-3)
1. Koopa Paratroopa
2. Fly Guy
3. Petey Piranha
4. Funky Kong or Candy Kong (Dixie Kong is already appeared in Hoops)
5. Birdo
6. Rosalina

Back