Toad, a worthy candidate for SSB4 (reasons and moveset provided).

Neither has the Ice Climbers, yet they are still playable

Ice Climbers, Fox and Captain Falcon are their main series reps. Toad would be like the 11th Mario rep if you count DK, Diddy, Yoshi, and Wario.

Baby Luigi said:
Neither has the Ice Climbers, yet they are still playable
They were given the role because Nintendo wanted to put in an obscure character

So your point is?

Ice Climbers, Fox and Captain Falcon are their main series reps. Toad would be like the 11th Mario rep if you count DK, Diddy, Yoshi, and Wario.

Mario is Nintendo's largest series. Of course it would have many reps. All I'm asking for is Toad and that's it.

Baby Luigi said:

So your point is?

Mario is Nintendo's largest series. Of course it would have many reps. All I'm asking for is Toad and that's it.
My Point is that Nintendo should not put Toad in because he would be a bottom teir character if not the worst character

How do you know Toad would be bottom tier?

Baby Luigi said:
How do you know Toad would be bottom tier?
I have to agree with this. However, HAL is likely getting tired of all the Mario reps and might decide to make one bad or gimmicky for whatever reason.

Yeah, look what happened to Pichu :P

I'm going into a very random small rant here.

Toad has been one of the more hated, loved, and genius characters of the series. Bowser Jr. ....has been in 5 Mainstream games.

Toad: SMB, SMB2 (US & JP), SMB3, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy/Galaxy 2, All the spinoffs in some way, shape, or form.

Bowser Jr.: Sunshine, NSMB, Galaxy, NSMBWii, Galaxy 2, Toadstool Tour, Most of the spinoffs (Never been in RPG's or Mario Party, except for DS & 9)

Toad wasn't in SMW (to my knowledge), but he's still got a LONG list of games.

Jr. was just pulled out of a 2002 magical hat. To be fair, I'd like The Koopalings more than him, but Toad is still my main bet.

While I am hoping both Jr. and Toad get in, if only Jr. gets in, I'll raise the thought: GIGA. BOWSER. JR. ......Toad is still a character, with the variety and the skills. Toad's moveset could be something entirely from the Spinoff games, which is something that can be experimental for the SSB series. Dice Blocks, entering by Kart, Golf clubs, powerful soccer kicks, and using those abilities to make items more powerful for himself. There's so many experiments that can be pulled off with the 3DS and Wii U. More characters, DLC, more stages...I mean, We REALLY need some Kirby reps. (HAL IS MAKING THE GAMES DAMMIT!) I'm just posing these questions out there. Yes, I know it's a Toad board, but I just wanted to point out so much can be done in a series where anything can happen, could happen, and sometimes will happen. (Sonic, Solid Snake, Lucas...) So with that, my rant is done.

Wow, that's a lot of discussion. Thanks Baby Luigi and GutsehMan for helping out. ;)

My Point is that Nintendo should not put Toad in because he would be a bottom teir character if not the worst character

How in the Mushroom Kingdom do you know that Toad is automatically a bottom tier character?! Is it just general hatred towards the character?

Yes and will Toad be able to do those things

Did anyone expect Jigglypuff to become a high tier character with those moves? If it had not been in Smash yet and I suggested Jigglypuff as a possible high tier newcomer, would you have even believed me?

Diddy Kong has a proven track recorded of attacks Toad does not

So throwing bananas (an item already present in Brawl) is a unique attack? Forgetting that, ever play a game featuring Toad? Or have you just ignored those? Additionally, there is a reason why I have a moveset ready on the first post of this thread (unless you continue to ignore it).

Jigglypuff and Pichu had abilities that gave them movesets. Toad doesn't really have any unique abilities. What can Toad do that Mario can't?

Besides talk, that is.

That is not the greatest argument. Luigi, Peach, and many other Mario characters do exactly the same moves as Mario, yet they're still in. Jump and run...the Classic Mario style. You might be wondering if Toad has unique abilities and it is true that he does by default. He is automatically a lightweight + speed + physical strength. He is a humanoid mushroom and Smash already gave Toad a spore emitting move (check Peach's B move). Mushroom summoning or attacks? Why not. Additionally, Toad can take moves from games like NSMB Wii which Mario would obviously not be using from since he already has a moveset. Again, if they can make Captain Falcon from a racecar driver into a bounty fighter with fiery punches and kicks or ROB from an NES toy accessory into a unique fighter and an enemy, then they can make a very unique moveset for Toad.

Also look at characters like Peach. How many moves from the Mario games does she have in her moveset? Turnips and floating from Mario 2. Toad from the Mario series. Golf/Tennis equipment from spin-offs. Frying pan from Mario RPG? And that pretty much covers it (I don't know where the parasol came from prior to Melee). Over half of her moveset is completely made up based on her properties (where on earth did the Peach Bomber move come from?!). We also have many other characters like I said before who have completely made up or burrowed moves (Zelda, Fox, Falco, C.Falcon, ROB, Ice Climbers etc.).

Yes and he's a Nintendo icon toad is not
I'm pretty sure Toad is a Nintendo icon. There is a reason why they merchandise him so heavily alongside Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, and Bowser. Look at Club Nintendo at all the Toad products. Even so, Toad is among one of the recognizable Nintendo characters. In both Nintendo Monopolies, Toad is a purchasable character, Mario chess, and he is even referenced in the Animal Crossing games. Also don't forget that Chase Mii game for the Wii U on the e3 2011. The Miis were dressed in both Mario and Toad costumes.

I have to agree with this. However, HAL is likely getting tired of all the Mario reps and might decide to make one bad or gimmicky for whatever reason.

Well we haven't received a true and pure Super Mario Bros. character since Melee, so why shouldn't Toad get in. He would be a good addition to satisfy the Mario needs as he is pretty much the only important recurring character to appear in almost all Mario games to not be in Smash yet as playable. The important point is that he is also a playable hero in already two installments of the main Mario series.

Also I have a feeling that Nintendo is interested in Toad as in both of his trophies, it is mentioned that he has super human strength from SMB 2. A strong, speedy, lightweight with powerful throws is not something we have yet in Smash Bros.. Just think of the possibilities. Also I noticed that Toad has 3 stickers in Brawl. Most non playable Mario characters like Daisy, Waluigi, Jr., Toadette have only 2 stickers; however, Toad has the most by being at 3. The Mario characters playable in Smash of course have more, but Toad already has 3 as a npc.

@GutsehMan

NSMB Wii also counts as it had Toads playable in it. This game offers a lot of importance and moveset to Toad himself as he reps all Toads. While a spin-off moveset is interesting, Toad has moves to pull from SMB 2 (plus his strength), NSMB Wii and even Wario's Woods. Even specially made Smash moves would work like mushroom and spore attacks.

I'm kind of in the neutral here. Toad will make a nice addition and have an interesting moveset but there are other characters who has more potential and make a better candidate than Toad.

I absolutely agree that a strong, lightweight, speed type character is needed, and Toad fits those requirements, but I see only one flaw. What would replace Peach's toad-spore attack in her moveset?

Doofenshmirtz Evil said:
I absolutely agree that a strong, lightweight, speed type character is needed, and Toad fits those requirements, but I see only one flaw. What would replace Peach's toad-spore attack in her moveset?

toadsworth

SuperMario25 said:
Doofenshmirtz Evil said:

toadsworth
*facepalms out of stupidity*

That could work.

Doofenshmirtz Evil said:
SuperMario25 said:
Doofenshmirtz Evil said:

toadsworth
*facepalms out of stupidity*

That could work.

it sure could :smug:

Toadette could work too :P

Toadsworth would be a suitable replacement as the others have stated as he has pretty much defined the role of Peach's steward moreso than Toad has in the recent days (Toad is seen as a playable character moreso). I'm sure that they could still implement the spore burst move with Toadsworth since he's still a Toad, but they could even have him counter attacking with his cane whenever he is attacked (like the Mario baseball games). I'm sure that he wouldn't want to see Peach getting hurt like that without giving a strike. Toadette too can even fix this problem. Even forgetting the Toad move, Peach can get a new one from the newer abilities she had from her own game (like the charge attack from Perry the Parasol or one of Peach's vibe attacks/vibe sector). This is not a problem as many other characters have had their movesets changed. Peach was lacking moves back in Melee, so giving her Toad was an easy way to give her a unique move. Even giving her hearts would work (hearts are usually affiliated with Peach these days and remember in Double Dash how they worked as a counter move for Peach? A similar concept as the Toad move). Any of these ideas or any others can easily solve this problem that so many use to bash Toad's chances of making it in.

However, seeing that Toad was given such a detailed model for one attack makes me think that Sakurai and the other Smash Bros. developers do have an interest with him (Peach's B move is already an invented move for Toad himself in the Smash series since he's performing the attack- not Peach).

Propeller Toad said:
However, seeing that Toad was given such a detailed model for one attack makes me think that Sakurai and the other Smash Bros. developers do have an interest with him (Peach's B move is already an invented move for Toad himself in the Smash series since he's performing the attack- not Peach).
Detailed model is basis for a character? Well I guess Waluigi's in then.

Sheesh, stop trying to analyze HAL and making presumptions.

You have a point there with the assist trophies. However, I personally find that presumptions are crucial to how characters make it in. For example, Pit's highly detailed and redesigned model obviously was created in order to represent the developer's next project (Kid Icarus). While obviously, Toad did not get a highly detailed model..I find it interesting that he too got some work done on his model. These types of presumptions somewhat can give hints as to who can make it in the next Smash (in melee we got hints like this and in the next game the characters made it in). I apologize if it disturbed you there.

Propeller Toad said:

You have a point there with the assist trophies. However, I personally find that presumptions are crucial to how characters make it in. For example, Pit's highly detailed and redesigned model obviously was created in order to represent the developer's next project (Kid Icarus). While obviously, Toad did not get a highly detailed model..I find it interesting that he too got some work done on his model. These types of presumptions somewhat can give hints as to who can make it in the next Smash (in melee we got hints like this and in the next game the characters made it in). I apologize if it disturbed you there.
Toad got his model improved because everything about Melee's graphics was improved. He didn't any more attention than Mario or Marth did.

Okay, two things. First off, I am really sorry about this, but when I saw this topic title, the first thing I thought was:
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... oh, wait, you're serious?"

Yeah, and secondly: If Toad was in SSB4, he would probably be a clone. I mean, c'mon, if they made Luigi (a main character with detailed personality and nice-sounding voice) a clone, why would they not make Toad (a side character (only really playable in one mainstream game) who has a really annoying voice) a clone? Plus: In my opinion, he is much too unimportant to the series as a whole (story-wise) than any other character. Eh? Come on, name me five mainstream games in which he (himself, not just an unnamed member of the Toad race) played a significant role on the actual plot.

Toad got his model improved because everything about Melee's graphics was improved. He didn't any more attention than Mario or Marth did.

Regardless, he was still given a proper model with animations since Melee (animations for non-playable character even in Melee). I agree that you do have a point with the updated graphics during the transition from Melee to Brawl. Still, the fact that Toad got his own model must have meant that Sakurai and the other developers must have noticed him (at least that's what is in my perspective).

@The Spiked Red One

Thanks for your input; however, I am serious about this (a laughing matter really?). Many of the newer Mario fans don't seem to realize that Toad has played an integral role back in the original days as one of the recognizable characters. That is why he was featured a lot back then and still is. Additionally, he is the only playable character from the mainstream Mario games to not be playable in Smash yet as well. Also, if you did read my first posts you must have received some of my perspective of what Toad can do in Smash as well as his notability.

Also in terms of your clone question? No, he would not be a clone. The reason why Mario and Luigi were clones (to an extent) was because Luigi was once nothing more than a "Green Mario" in the original days. A palette swap. Therefore, in Smash 64 he was made a Mario clone as it was not until Luigi's Mansion that Nintendo gave Luigi a personality and different identity (first visible from Mario 2). Nothing else really differentiated the brothers. Toad would not be a clone as for one he does not share the same body shape as the Mario Bros.. Second of all, he is not a plumber/human like them, but rather an anthromorphic mushroom with established spore and mushroom abilities. He even has established statistics (he is a lightweight due to his size, has good speed in almost every game he is featured, and had small jumps in SMB 2). Additionally, there is that superhuman strength the Toads had that Nintendo kept mentioned on both of Toad's Smash trophies. Also, Mario and Luigi both look similar (Toad doesn't resemble any of them at all). Additionally, you can see Peach could have been clone as she played the same as the Mario Bros. as well. That is why all of the Mario characters have made up moves as well in the smash games as Mario games lack detail.

Also you ask how many games he has been playable or important in? New Super Mario Bros. Wii does count as it still featured Toads and Toad is the representative for all Toads. That is why Toad was featured as the only newcomer (asides from the Mii) in Mario Sports Mix. That is why the developers at Nintendo say Mario, Luigi, and Toad as the playable characters. That is why Mario, Luigi, Toad, Bowser, and even Yoshi are featured as prominent characters in the newer Mario merchandise. Also we can even bring THE Yoshi into the question. How many games has he been in and not his species? In almost every game, there are Yoshis and one is just picked up and called Yoshi (very similarly to Toad). Yoshis in the Yoshi games are also all generic as they are switched in every level (also you would learn this by seeing the ending of Yoshi's Island DS or the Yoshi level in Partners in Time). Also, notice how both of Yoshi's Melee and Brawl trophies only mention the Yoshi species and not Yoshi himself. That is because Yoshi is representing his species and it is the green Yoshi that is the representative. Just like Toad is to his species. Also let us not forget the spin-offs as well. Mario Kart and Mario Party are also important to Toad as he is an easily recognizable character in these games. Some of his NPC roles in the main games have also been important. His role in SMB 3 was impressive seeing that he was the only ally that Mario or Luigi could turn to for help. Additionally, the two Mario Galaxies had the Toad Brigade as important supporting characters (even appearing in the overworld levels with Luigi and Yoshi (SMG 2 only for Yoshi) as Mario's few friends/allies). Also being playable in one Super Mario Bros. game is not a problem as just look at Peach. She was only playable in SMB 2.

Back