Toad, a worthy candidate for SSB4 (reasons and moveset provided).

Napalm Man said:
Also, Mega Man has shown up in the MvC series with all kinds of close-quarters combat.

No to Toad. Smash needs more villains as playable characters.
Good point. A character like, say, Eggman would be welcome. Though I doubt Eggman would do well in SSB, he usually uses robots to fight.

twinArmageddons said:
Napalm Man said:
Also, Mega Man has shown up in the MvC series with all kinds of close-quarters combat.

No to Toad. Smash needs more villains as playable characters.
Good point. A character like, say, Eggman would be welcome. Though I doubt Eggman would do well in SSB, he usually uses robots to fight.
They could use King K. Rool

Like I said, we don't need anymore Mario reps. For the purposes of SSB, the Donkey Kong series is more or less Mario.

I'd welcome K. Rool more than Toad, and he seems more likely to me. You all say that there is a giant fanbase for Toad, but that doesn't matter. Nintendo normally doesn't care about the fans.

twinArmageddons said:
Like I said, we don't need anymore Mario reps. For the purposes of SSB, the Donkey Kong series is more or less Mario.

I'd welcome K. Rool more than Toad, and he seems more likely to me. You all say that there is a giant fanbase for Toad, but that doesn't matter. Nintendo normally doesn't care about the fans.
Captain Syrup should be first in line if they want any Wario reps

I don't want to interrupt your conversation, but please stay in mind to stay on topic on this thread.

Game? And running up walls is not unbelievably awesome. I'm talking about awesome stuff like fighting a final boss awesome.

The game was Wario's Woods which was Toad's first starring role (which I already mentioned in my first post). The link is here for more info: http://www.mariowiki.com/Wario's_Woods

Also in terms of fighting "final boss awesome", Toad has already done that many times. In SMB 2, he fought many mini-bosses bosses including Mouser, Birdo, Clawgrip, etc and as well as the final boss Wart. In Wario's Woods he fought many mini-bosses in both NES and SNES version of the game including mermaid, dragon, and even redead bosses (eg Shiisha). Wario was the final boss and he fought him even at the end. In NSMB Wii, he fought off the Koopalings, Bowser Jr., and even Bowser himself. Unless you don't consider any of these bosses "awesome enough", then I don't know what else to say.

While I may be contradicting myself here, characters do not even need to fight to get in. When did Zelda, ROB, or Captain Falcon fight outside of their games (these are a few examples) before getting into Smash. It was their demand and popularity that got them in (I don't know about ROB, but the others are definite). That is why they got made up or burrowed moves made for them. At least Toad has moves to use from the main games. SMB 2, Wario's Woods, NSMB Wii, Mario Kart, Mario Party, and the list goes on. He can even get made up moves like the spore counter attack he already has since melee as Peach's attack. People say that characters need detailed movesets, yet Toad has fought well in many of these games. What did the Ice Climbers do in their games? Hit stuff with hammers and jumps. They were made movesets in order to make them playable. Captain Falcon never got out of his car in his games, yet he still made it in.

Why his move set would be weak at best he would be lightweight without being able to inflate which is the only thing that makes light weight characters good. theirs to many Mario characters as it is

I don't get what you mean by "not being able to inflate". Toad has superhuman strength (physical strength), and speed. I see this combo as a very good one as we have very few physically strong and speedy lightweights in Smash yet. Also he would be countered by weak jumps, and low weight with very few good projectile moves. Perhaps midair grabs and throws can also be introduced into Smash through Toad! He can definitely bring in a new type of fighting style! Also in terms of the too many Mario characters post, look below in my post for my answer.

Also @'3K

You make a good, solid point. The Smash series does need more villains. We have very few villains in the game so far, so adding more would be good. That is why I support the inclusion of both Toad and Bowser Jr. in order to satisfy both the fans who are both old and new players of the Mario series. These are the last two important recurring characters in the Mario series and should be made playable as of now.

When one looks at the Mario reps, we technically only got four. Yoshi and Wario may count, but they did not get in due to their merits in the Mario series. They got in due to their roles in their own respective series. The Yoshis played an important role in the Yoshi games so they got in with their own moves (same case for Wario himself). The Super Mario Bros. series is Nintendo's biggest franchise, and by SSB4 expecting one or even two newcomers would not be a stretch. We should have got 5 Mario reps in Brawl; however, we lost one (Dr.Mario) instead.

Also in terms of popularity, I'm pretty sure that it does matter. Look at many of the characters that got in. Would they have got in if they were not characters that people would not want to play as or like? This is one of the points Sakurai (the developer of Smash) blandly stated during one of his interviews. Look at Lucario. His popularity out of the DP Pokemon got him in. Look at Bowser and Peach. They both got in due to their high demand on the Melee polls. Look at Sonic. He had so much requests at the last minute that he made it in (thus, possibly delaying Brawl). Ness may have been kept due to his popularity with the Smash fans instead of being replaced by Lucas. The list goes on; however, I think I'll stop here for now. Please continue. :)

Propeller Toad said:
Also in terms of fighting "final boss awesome", Toad has already done that many times. In SMB 2, he fought many mini-bosses bosses including Mouser, Birdo, Clawgrip, etc and as well as the final boss Wart. In Wario's Woods he fought many mini-bosses in both NES and SNES version of the game including mermaid, dragon, and even redead bosses (eg Shiisha). Wario was the final boss and he fought him even at the end. In NSMB Wii, he fought off the Koopalings, Bowser Jr., and even Bowser himself. Unless you don't consider any of these bosses "awesome enough", then I don't know what else to say.
This is awesome.
super+mario+galaxy+Bowser+boss+fight.jpg
This is not nearly as awesome.
SMB2%20-%20Wart-550x.jpg

^I understand your perspective, but that is your opinion. While the high def. fight with Bowser in Mario Galaxy may seem awesome, so did the Toad vs Wart fight in SMB 2 back in the day. It is outdated and that is why it does not look awesome. Nintendo couldn't implement the same graphics like SMG back in these days. If Nintendo remade this game with the same engine as SMG, perhaps more would be calling this fight much more awesome. Anyways, that is not a valid point as Mario fought Bowser back in the day like that too.

bowsersmb.png

bowsersmb3screen.jpg

Also if you want something more recent, check out NSMB Wii. Toad and Bowser both look much more high def there. I'm sure that many still find the boss fights in the old games just as awesome even without the graphics. ;)

Alright, I'm gonna try to make a point here. Toad HAS been in nearly every Mario game, has made more appearances than Bowser Jr, and is a WHOLE SPECIES TO BOOT.

My point is made.

(Eh, why not.)

@people who say Toad's a wimp: Pichu is no more of a wimp than Toad is, but that didn't prevent it from being playable in Super Smash Bros. Melee. It did sucked, though, but with major tweaks, it could be better too.

Besides, Meta Knight is a light character. So is Diddy Kong. But that didn't prevent them from becoming top tier in Brawl.

Baby Luigi said:
@people who say Toad's a wimp: Pichu is no more of a wimp than Toad is, but that didn't prevent it from being playable in Super Smash Bros. Melee. It did sucked, though, but with major tweaks, it could be better too.

Besides, Meta Knight is a light character. So is Diddy Kong. But that didn't prevent them from becoming top tier in Brawl.
Pichu is a wimp so do we really want another Pichu character

Jigglypuff was a wimp too. But it was still high tier in Melee, due to its ability to prevent it from being comboed, the ability to perform the wall of pain, and awesome aerials.

Baby Luigi said:
Jigglypuff was a wimp too. But it was still high tier in Melee, due to its ability to prevent it from being comboed, the ability to perform the wall of pain, and awesome aerials.
Yes and will Toad be able to do those things

Who knows. Toad could have the same might as Diddy Kong has, and Diddy Kong is second on the tier list, beaten only by Meta Knight

Baby Luigi said:
Who knows. Toad could have the same might as Diddy Kong has, and Diddy Kong is second on the tier list, beaten only by Meta Knight
Diddy Kong has a proven track recorded of attacks Toad does not

Jigglypuff and Pichu had abilities that gave them movesets. Toad doesn't really have any unique abilities. What can Toad do that Mario can't?

Besides talk, that is.

Jack Noir said:
Jigglypuff and Pichu had abilities that gave them movesets. Toad doesn't really have any unique abilities. What can Toad do that Mario can't?

Besides talk, that is.
Mario can talk

Captain Falcon didn't have anything unique either, other than race around. Same with Fox on his Arwing

Agreed with Captain Falcon. But Fox has had plenty of ground missions in games like Assault and Star Fox Adventures was entirely on the ground.

Not my point. Fox has been in since Super Smash Bros. for the N64 and all he did was fly around too.

Baby Luigi said:
Not my point. Fox has been in since Super Smash Bros. for the N64 and all he did was fly around too.
Yes and he's a Nintendo icon toad is not

Back