Do you feel like there is an overdose of Mario spin-offs recently?

FunkyKong84

Blooper
I 'm mainly talking about sports spin offs. I include Mario Party due to the minigames (it has Bowling too). Check out how the situation is in the last four years:
2007: Mario Strikers charged
2007: Mario Party 8
2007: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
2008: Mario Super Sluggers
2009: Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games
2009: Mario Power Tennis NPC
2010: Mario Sports Mix
2011: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
2011: Mario Party 9

I am not the one who's gonna have a problem with it, I say keep making them. That being said, I don't see why people will have the motivation to keep buying these games, if there is such an overload of Mario stuff.

There's been an overdose of Mario spinoffs ever since Yoshi Island.

People buy Mario, Nintendo makes Mario. Repeat.

There aren't a lot of mainstream games to begin with.

Also, don't the RPGs also count as spin-offs?

At this point, only the 3D platformers and New Super Mario Bros. series are the only "mainstream" games, right?

Caboose said:
At this point, only the 3D platformers and New Super Mario Bros. series are the only "mainstream" games, right?

That's what I tend to think myself, though it's the entire Super Mario series that I consider to be mainstream.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Also, don't the RPGs also count as spin-offs?

No, RPGs=RPGs. I don't understand why people classify the RPGs as spin-offs. Just because they're not main stream doesn't mean their spin-offs.

Anyway, I do think there's been too many spin-offs. The Gamecube era is proof of this since everything was a spin-off except for Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and Paper Mario TTYD.

I think the unbalanced spinoff/Platformers ratio was only a problem during the Gamecube/GBA era, where that was only one "true" platformer (Sunshine) released early in the life of the generation and then fuck all except for cashgrabs GBA ports and the occassional oddball spinoff (Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, Warior Land 4 and Wario World), while at the same time, there was a ridiculous number of sport games and yearly Mario Party sequels.

With 3 platformers on the Wii and at least one more confirmed for the 3DS, I don't think there's a problem this generation.

Raphael said:
No, RPGs=RPGs. I don't understand why people classify the RPGs as spin-offs. Just because they're not main stream doesn't mean their spin-offs.

I consider them spin-offs because they are different from the regular gameplay Mario has. Though, spin-off is kind of misleading because it hints towards a non-canon game, so I see your point.

Nintendo has been trying to gain players from outside their usual circle, so the spin-offs make non-gamers more open to playing it. I don't think it's a bad thing, because it makes the mainstream games more of a treat.

Doesn't Mario Kart count as a spin-off?

And most of those games were Wii versions of running series. I see no problem with sequels. The Olympic games series at least has an excuse: it is considered the official game of the Olympics. Thus, one needs to be made whenever there is an olympic game.

Olimar said:
I've always wondered why Mario has racing, baseball, and soccer, but nothing like Zelda or Kirby does.

Kirby has racing. Kirby's Air Ride, or something like that. It was for the Game Cube.

Yeah they need to make more Zelda/Kirby spin-offs. In fact, there are no Zelda, and one with Zelda would be cool to see, something like "Zelda Sports Mix" but with a different title and different stuff.

I think there has been a underdose of spin-offs recently. The Gamecube had tons of spin-offs and the wii only had some. There are more spin-offs now than main games but us Mario-fans don't mind.

King Bill said:
I think there has been a underdose of spin-offs recently. The Gamecube had tons of spin-offs and the wii only had some. There are more spin-offs now than main games but us Mario-fans don't mind.
Like King Bill said, I don't mind the spin-offs, but I'd rather see the mainstream games. However, the mainstream games make more money than the spin-offs.

Toad85 said:
Doesn't Mario Kart count as a spin-off?

And most of those games were Wii versions of running series. I see no problem with sequels. The Olympic games series at least has an excuse: it is considered the official game of the Olympics. Thus, one needs to be made whenever there is an olympic game.

I'm pretty sure the Olympics have their own games, but if you're right...that's kinda weird...

Ganondorf said:
Yeah they need to make more Zelda/Kirby spin-offs. In fact, there are no Zelda, and one with Zelda would be cool to see, something like "Zelda Sports Mix" but with a different title and different stuff.

Zelda has Link's Crossbow Training and Four Swords Adventure and stuff like that. Most of the Zelda games are in fact canon (including the spin-offs), so they probably won't make any "Zelda Volleyball" game or whatever.

Good point Leonyx. I wasn't expecting so see on though because of the possibility about 95% it wouldn't happen.

However, with the Zelda series gaining and gaining more popularity, it shouldn't be a forgotten possibility, but, it most likely won't happen.

Ganondorf said:
However, the mainstream games make more money than the spin-offs.

Actually, Mario Kart Wii sold more than Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Topic Title: No, I think it's the other way around. There are too many platformers that take 3 days to 100%. The spinoffs last longer.

What the hell. IP address *bleeps* two times in a row.

Back