Do you feel like there is an overdose of Mario spin-offs recently?

Besides, I'm a multiplayer person. I enjoy the spin-offs 10x more than the platformers (I refuse to call them "mainstream"). Not that I hate the platformers, but I just like the spin-offs more.

Ornithologist Mario said:
There are too many platformers that take 3 days to 100%.

I agree with this. I'd like harder and longer lasting platformers again.

Ornithologist Mario said:
Topic Title: No, I think it's the other way around. There are too many platformers that take 3 days to 100%. The spinoffs last longer.

this this this and i don't really like spin-offs though.

They bore me for the most part.

Would prefer more main games, in particular, more open/larger ones.

I don't mind Mario Kart or Mario Baseball games, but when they start thinking about Mario Party 9 or Mario Sports Mix, I know something is wrong. Wait until the Wii-U for the next MP, Nintendo! No one cares!

Mario Sports Mix would've been better if the roster was larger. People may have hated the inclusion of the Final Fantasy characters and Slime, but don't forget that Square Enix did develop that game.

Mario Sports Mix grew a lot on me actually. I think that it's the best Mario sports game so far. I wish it didn't have region locked wi-fi though.

Toad85 said:
I don't mind Mario Kart or Mario Baseball games, but when they start thinking about Mario Party 9 or Mario Sports Mix, I know something is wrong. Wait until the Wii-U for the next MP, Nintendo! No one cares!

I care about Mario Party 9 :(

Wow, I guess I'm not the only one who dislikes the tsunami of linear Mario platforms that last too short we're getting these days.

I'm afraid it looks like Super Mario's 3D Land of Rainbows and Unicorns will be linear and short.

Super Mario Sunshine is a great example.

Super Mario Bros. 3 certainly wasn't linear. Technically Mario Bros. didn't have an ending, so you could count that too.

Yeah, but I'm for longer lasting games.

Toad85 said:
Can you name a Mario platformer (other than SMW) that isn't linear and/or short?

sm64/ds
sms
smb3 also had pretty decent length too
trying to remember if yoshi games did or not
pretty sure sml2 had decent length, but it's been a long time so someone correct me

But yeah agreed with ornthologist Mario on this one.

Many platformers we get are just so easy you can blaze through them or lack much content.

Personally if we get another game like sm64/sms or smw, in terms of big levels or many exits(or both), then that sounds good.

I was looking forward to super mario 3ds untill i saw the actual game, so thats a bummer.

Zae said:
Toad85 said:
Can you name a Mario platformer (other than SMW) that isn't linear and/or short?

sm64/ds
sms
pretty sure sml2 had decent length, but it's been a long time so someone correct me

1: sm64 is not that long.
2:Sunshine was as linear as SMG1, but not as much as SMG2.
3: As linear as sm2.
4:Yoshi games don't count.
5:Don't know much about sml2.

How the heck Super Mario Sunshine was as linear as Super Mario Galaxy? There are a ton of exploration levels in that game

Sunshine had lots of exploration to do. It takes place in a vast world where exploring can be rewarding.

Super Mario 64 is also long lasting. Sure, it won't be if you're aiming to complete the story, but not when you're 100%ing the game

Toad85 said:
Zae said:
Toad85 said:

sm64/ds
sms

wtf are YOU on?

sm64 and sms are even labled as one of the most explorisive(sp?) games of ALL TIME, containing huge levels, many ways to approach objectives, and having a ton of content, also smb3 actually had linear levels but a lot of levels were optional, and of course worlds were too with flutes.

Sml2 kinda worked like smw too, just not as big.

saying those games are linear is like saying elder scrolls oblivion is linear as racing games.

seriously dude, replay them and you'll see what i mean.

I bet he meant by how you beat the story, not if you're trying to 100% it

Zae said:
Toad85 said:
Zae said:
Toad85 said:

sm64/ds
sms

wtf are YOU on?

sm64 and sms are even labled as one of the most explorisive(sp?) games of ALL TIME, containing huge levels, many ways to approach objectives, and having a ton of content, also smb3 actually had linear levels but a lot of levels were optional, and of course worlds were too with flutes.

Sml2 kinda worked like smw too, just not as big.

saying those games are linear is like saying elder scrolls oblivion is linear as racing games.

seriously dude, replay them and you'll see what i mean.
Sunshine was so non-linear you could skip the first level in Bianca Hills.

Toad85 said:
Zae said:
Toad85 said:

sm64/ds
sms

I'm sorry, but none of the levels in either Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine are nearly as linear as half the levels Super Mario Galaxy (none of Galaxy's levels are truly explorative because they always force a goal on you anyways). Super Mario 64 was longer and more difficult than the newer games because of the way the game was. If you knew exactly what you were doing (read: speedrunning without glitches), you could probably beat the game faster than Super Mario Galaxy, but if you just started playing it for the first time it's much longer. The only direction it gives you was the clues for each star, making it take more time to find each star without a guide or prior knowledge. Super Mario Sunshine had a goal for most of their levels, but because of its main hub (there were at least 20 stars hidden there) and the blue coins, it isn't linear at all to earn all of the stars.

Baby Luigi said:
I bet he meant by how you beat the story, not if you're trying to 100% it

well that goes for most games really as many games force you to to do main quest sections before progressing the game.

Back