19 new characters Super Smash Bros. Wii U "must" include

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
I found this a few weeks ago and I finally got around to posting it here...

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/19-new-characters-smash-bros-wii-u-must-include/a-20110708145918547079

Apparently, these are characters who MUST be in the next Super Smash Bros. My responses:

Zoroark: Yeah, he (or she, if we're talking about the Zoroark from the movie) is a pretty cool Pokemon from the fifth generation.
Starfy: Yes, yes, YES! Starfy for SSBWiiU or SSB3DS!
Mii with a Balance Board: To me, Mii's would be the closest thing to customizable characters SSB can get. So yeah, Mii's a good idea. Don't know about the balance board, though.
Vaati: Sure, Vaati's pretty cool, IMO. More villains are welcome as well.
King Hippo: I'd rather see Little Mac playable and have King Hippo as a boss.
Birdo: Umm... whatever.
Andy, Sami, and/or Max: Advance Wars has never been my cup of tea, but I wouldn't mind seeing Andy playable.
Yarn Kirby & Paper Mario: I don't want to see these characters. Because they're the same characters in the game, only slightly different. I know, Paper Mario and Yarn Kirby can have completely original movesets, but I'd still rather see just one Mario and one Kirby. Link's the exception to this because I believe it's been established that there's been more than one Link, and each Link can be different "characters" in it of themselves (see TP Link and Toon Link).
Midna and Wolf Link: If the Link in the next SSB is the Skyward Sword Link, I wouldn't mind seeing Wolf Link, though personally, I'd rather see Midna alone.
Mega Man: Yes, DEFINITELY!!! ...Though I heard Mega Man's creator left Capcom, hence why there's no Mega Man Legends 3 and why Mega Man wasn't included in the roster update for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom.
Knuckles: No. One character per company, that's my rule. Keep the number of third party character limited, to make room for the Nintendo characters, who should be in the forefront. With that in mind, having only one character per company seems fair. Therefore, only Sonic will be allowed, by my standards.
Kazuya Mishima: ...Refresh my memory, has there ever been a Tekken game on a Nintendo console? And really, I'd expect to see Ryu from Street Fighter before seeing anyone from Tekken.
A Dragon Quest Hero with Slime: As far as Square Enix characters go, I'd rather see either Geno or Black Mage.

Birdo would be wierd

I would rather have Toad over Birdo.

Baby Mario & Baby Luigi would be a cool addition to the roster. There's also Bowser Jr. and Toad, but Birdo? Naw, thanks.

No, Birdo can live as a texture hack.

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi can be part of the Yoshi series, but I prefer them in the main Mario series.

ectoBiologist said:
Baby Mario & Baby Luigi would be a cool addition to the roster. There's also Bowser Jr. and Toad, but Birdo? Naw, thanks.

This.

Who suggested Birdo? All the playable characters in SSB so far serve some kind of importance to their series, and Birdo's not that important. Plus, we have enough Mario characters in SSB already. If there's going to be anymore Mario characters, then it should be Toad or anybody who falls in the Yoshi/Wario/DK category.

Anyway, this could be my obsession talking, but I'd like to see some TMNT characters. :3

As far as playable Pokemon characters go, I'd rather have a Hoenn Pokemon before a Unova Pokemon.

Aqua Soul said:
Who suggested Birdo? All the playable characters in SSB so far serve some kind of importance to their series, and Birdo's not that important. Plus, we have enough Mario characters in SSB already. If there's going to be anymore Mario characters, then it should be Toad or anybody who falls in the Yoshi/Wario/DK category.

Anyway, this could be my obsession talking, but I'd like to see some TMNT characters. :3

As far as playable Pokemon characters go, I'd rather have a Hoenn Pokemon before a Unova Pokemon.

I agree with you for the most part. There should be Hoenn representation, and Toad is one of those major Mario characters that needs to be playable. Peach's neutral B? Yeah... how many Toads are there in the kingdom?

Or Peach could use Toadsworth. :P It's perfect. Toadsworth would protect Peach at all costs, so being Peach's living shield should satisfy Toadsworth. ;D

As for the Yoshi series: they could have the babies as others have already pointed out.

The DK series should have King K. Rool (moar villains plz)

I guess Wario could have Captain Syrup. (female villain FTW and if some TMNT characters are thrown in, it'd be the ultimate priate vs. ninja fight)

God, why do you all hate Birdo so much? Seriously, at least give a reason. I think it'd be pretty cool to play as Birdo. He/she could shoot eggs as an attack, and has a lot of potential. Is all that gender confusion really worth a lifetime of hate?

No, the gender confusion is worth 5 lifetimes of hate.

I just don't think Birdo should be in SSB. Every character (or a good majority of them) serve some degree of importance to their series.

Mario=hero
Luigi=secondary hero/sidekick
Peach=damsel in distress
Bowser=villain
Yoshi= ally/protagonist of his own series
DK=original rival/protagonist of his own series
Wario=rival/protagonist of his own series

What's so important about Birdo? :|

Okay, here's what I have to say...

Zoroark: The Pokemon most likely to represent generation 5. However, it is up against Victini for that spot.

Starfy: At one point, I did set up a special moveset for him. He'd work, despite lacking any long range moves.

Mii: No way do I see that character fighting. However, Miis have become a big staple nowadays.

Vaati: He's very unlikely to make the cut.

King Hippo: An Assist Trophy perhaps, but not as a fighter.

Birdo: There are way better picks for the Super Mario series. Does Bowser Jr. ring a bell?

Advance Wars: I'm probably guessing that that series will stick around as Assist Trophies.

Yarn Kirby: Unique, but it likely won't happen.

Paper Mario: I did think of Paper Mario as being redundant, since Mario is already in the roster. If he does make the cut, he has to represent his own series, NOT the Super Mario series.

Wolf Link + Midna: No chance, or a very slim chance.

Mega Man: I'm neutral with him, but the recent Mega Man game cancellations has delivered a hard blow to him.

Knuckles: Before thinking about Knuckles, think about Tails first.

Kazuya Mishima: I'm not very familiar with Tekken.

Dragon Quest Hero + Slime: Not sure about the hero, but Slime would be an interesting character. If it can beat the competition in Mario Sports Mix, think about what it can do in a fight.

MrConcreteDonkey said:
God, why do you all hate Birdo so much? Seriously, at least give a reason. I think it'd be pretty cool to play as Birdo. He/she could shoot eggs as an attack, and has a lot of potential. Is all that gender confusion really worth a lifetime of hate?

I don't hate Birdo. I just think the other characters I suggested have greater importance to the Mario series.

Always love Smash Bros. talk. The very reason I even joined the internet :]

I'll say my thoughts here

Zoroark: I'm not in to the 5th gen of Pokemon all that much but the author of the article does give a valid point about it now (Also if anyone thinks he's suggesting it to replace Lucario he said early in the article that suppose no one gets cut from Brawl in the game)

Starfy: I don't know too much about Starfy but it would be hilarious to see who was basically made a useless Assist Trophy (One of the only ones you can actually hit, and his slow movement and way of attacking will only get idiots and even then not too much damage nor knockback) become a capable fighter in transition from Brawl to SSB4

Mii: inb4 the Mii hate. I'll be honest here I would not be against the Miis as Playable characters. As long as Nintendo established that they were put in for Character Customization abilities. And also make sure that at most the Miis are a balanced character that is not overpowered in any area of attack but they shouldn't exactly be the weakest in some areas either. If they can they can also apply a weight and height difference. Making them very tall and heavy should make them very slow with only a little boost of Attack power (No Super-Armor either), Making them very short and small should increase their speed but their attack power would be very limited. Also can we keep them mute please if they get in? If they have the voices they did in MKWii, although I don't hate Miis I swear I'd make them a punching bag

Vaati: Having another Villain would be neat. Though unfortunately I don't play LoZ all that much. But his magic powers sound intriguing matched with his sword abilities.

King Hippo: ??? Not before Little Mac. So no

Birdo: ...Um there's plenty of better choices in the Marioverse then Birdo. So again no

Advance Wars Trio: Starting to feel a little sad that at this point of the character's he's suggesting I'm most familiar with Birdo and Miis lol but the interchangable trio might not be so bad here. From what I see is there's an Assault character, Engineer, and a Heavy Weapons which has potential.

Yarn Kirby: NO! Yarn Kirby would be Overpowered! HE CAN"T DIE!!!! Kidding aside, it has a potential for a good alternate version of a Veteran. But personally...

Paper Mario: This one would be the better to have. He'd be about as light as Mr. Game and Watch and throughout the 4 games in the series he should have lots of potential for a entirely different moveset. No offense to the Dr. Mario fans here but it'd offer way more then Dr. Mario ever did

Midna and Wolf Link: Meh might be nice to have another 4 legged character besides Ivysaur. Though I think between Zelda and Vaati that's enough Magical powers. Plus it'd be repping a game a generation late. I think this duo already missed it's chance in Brawl.

Mega Man: Yes I'd love Mega Man to be in the next game in the Series. If it weren't for the fact that he's rather in Danger right now he'd probably be the equivalent to Sonic in Brawl as it is to to Megaman and SSB4 (As in most requested 3rd party). It also might save his ass in whatever predicament he is in now if he somehow got in.

Knuckles: I doubt they'll let any 3rd Party have a 2nd character from the same Franchise in the game. Though as much as Knuckles is a better match for a fighter. I'd personally rather have Tails but I suppose that's just me. (Heck to make it easier maybe a Tails/Knuckles interchangeable duo... even if that makes no sense)

Kazuya Mishuma: I'm sorry but who exactly? I know it says he's from a Fighter series but the name still feels like an obscure character. I just doubt any 3rd Party would showcase someone like that that isn't iconically known. You can try to say against my point with Solid Snake but even then that was a super special case between big friends. Unless Sakauri and the Tekken creator were college roomates I doubt he'll get in.

Dragon Quest Hero and Slime: Hm, The more I think about it. It could be fairly likely with Dragon Quest being plenty popular. Albeit the Geno fans would be made with Square Enix heading up to Nintendo for this instead of Geno. But considering Dragon Quest has crossovered twice with Mario (If you count Slime getting in Mario Sports Mix) it might not be far-fetched that much. Albeit if a Square-Enix character gets in and it's neither this or Geno it will probably be a Final Fantasy one.

They really suggested Kazuya? Really? I love Tekken and I think that'd be awesome, but I don't see it happening.

Big yes to Mega Man naturally, but knowing Capcom, we'd peobably end up with Zero again.

King Hippo would be cool, but we'd need Little Mac first.

Neutral on Birdo. If we're adding Mario new characters, there's only one I care about and you should know who that is by now.

'3K said:
Big yes to Mega Man naturally, but knowing Capcom, we'd peobably end up with Zero again.

Zero as in the Mega Man series character? Or zero as in No Capcom Characters at all?

(Because if it's the former that'd be about as stupid as putting in Shadow and not Sonic playable in Brawl)

I would like Baby Mario and Baby Luigi to represent the Yoshi series (though they could be just as fine in the Mario series). Oh, and I want Waluigi and Toad playable. I don't understand why Birdo is suggested over Waluigi or Toad. Waluigi and Toad have been playable in more games, Toad is the only character from Mario Kart 64 not playable, and Mario vs. Luigi vs. Waluigi vs. Wario fights would be great.

Northern Verve said:
'3K said:
Zero as in the Mega Man series character?

That. Hell, they did it for Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. Might as well go for a tri-fecta. I'm not saying that it would be a bad thing because Zero's awesome. But it wouldn't be the smartest move in the world.

Also, more Metroid and F-Zero characters yadda yadda yadda.

People keep suggesting Ridley. After my experience with KOing texture hacks, Ridley is not bad.

Yeah, Ridley is the go-to guy for new Metroid characters. Dark Samus could also work and she/it could be different enough to not be a clone character.

'3K said:
That. Hell, they did it for Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom and Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. Might as well go for a tri-fecta. I'm not saying that it would be a bad thing because Zero's awesome. But it wouldn't be the smartest move in the world.

Also, more Metroid and F-Zero characters yadda yadda yadda.

Ridley obviously comes to mind. If Bowser can make the cut, so can Ridley. Size matters not, my friend (Yoda talk).

Goroh and Black Shadow should be mentioned for the F-Zero franchise. Regarding Black Shadow, take Ganondorf's old moveset and give it to him. Ganondorf deserves a sword-based moveset after all.

Northern Verve said:
'3K said:

Zero as in the Mega Man series character? Or zero as in No Capcom Characters at all?

(Because if it's the former that'd be about as stupid as putting in Shadow and not Sonic playable in Brawl)

Thing is, something similar almost happened i Melee since Ness was supposed to be removed and replaced with Lucas. Nevertheless, that would be stupid having a character who's not Mega Man represent the Mega Man series.

'3K said:
Neutral on Birdo. If we're adding Mario new characters, there's only one I care about and you should know who that is by now.

And I have your number, since I too support Bowser Jr..

Back