19 new characters Super Smash Bros. Wii U "must" include

MnSG said:
Baby Luigi said:
I would like to have Toad over Jr. if I had a choice, but why not include both?

Probably because the other franchises need some attention too. Also, no series has had more than 5 reps.

Well, the Mario series did have 7 reps in Brawl, if you count Yoshi, Wario, and DK as part of the Mario series. Same thing for the Pokemon series if you count the Pokemon Trainer's 3 Pokemon seperately.

New Nintendo Characters
Zoroark
Vaati
Toad
Ridley
Samurai Goroh
Bowser Jr.
Krystal
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi (As long as they're in the Yoshi series)
Mr. Resetti (Yeah I know it's a scretch but I think it has potential to be hilarious and that pickax ought to be able to do damage)
Plusle & Minun

Classic/Obscure Characters
Little Mac
Balloon Fighter
Chibi-Robo (Would be the WTF character of the game like how Mr. G&W was in Melee and ROB in Brawl)

Alternates
Paper Mario
Toon Zelda/Shiek

3rd Party
Megaman
Black Mage (Was a hard choice here for 3rd parties but a Square-Enix character made the most sense and while Geno fans would get mad I think Square would want to put in a more iconic character and I think Black Mage fits that bill for Final Fantasy)

Return from the Dead (So to speak)
Mewtwo

Ok I finished a list as diverse as I could. I tried to realistically make a decent possibility list but I won't blame you if you say I'm buffing up the big 3 (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon) Nintendo Franchises too much. Also I put some of the Forbidden 7 in the list in there as well plus a few characters that were assist Trophies in the Previous game. There's never going to be a roster that makes everyone happy. But I thought hard and came up with this putting much more emphasis on newer Nintendo Characters more so then the rest of the categories.

EDIT: How'd I put Krystal twice :[

Aqua Soul said:
True that. Although I still prefer Jr. as an Assist Trophy or somewhere along those lines.

You know, you're pretty much the polar opposite of Super Smash Bros. Fan - a Smash Boards member - when it comes to my roster suggestions.

I mentioned Victini being a Poke Ball Pokemon, but Super Smash Bros. Fan wants it as a playable, despite the fact that Mew, Jirachi, Celebi, and Manaphy were Poke Ball Pokemon in Brawl.

On a similar manner, I support Zoroark, while he does not.

@ SonicMario:

Hmm...I think putting Resetti, Plusle & Minun, and Balloon Fighter is kind of stretching it, but I think the rest of the list is reasonable. (Now if only we could submit these to Nintendo and HAL Laboratory).

Here's mine, (if a character's name is italicized, that means I only want them as a palette swap):

Mario
Toad
Mr. L
Dr. Mario
The Shadow Queen

DK
King K. Rool

Yoshi
Baby Mario (doesn't matter to me if he's alone or paired with Baby Luigi, I'm okay either way)

Wario
Captain Syrup
Kat and Ana
(pirates vs. ninjas, anyone?)

Pokemon
Blaziken
Sceptile
Empoleon
Monferno
Gallade
Dewott

Pikmin
Louie
President
Steve

Earthbound/Mother
Paula, Jeff, or Poo
Kumatora

Classic Characters
Little Mac

Third Party
Mega Man
Proto Man

Returning Melee characters
Mewtwo

TMNT, (I know it'll never happen, but ...)
Leonardo
Nightwatcher/Raphael
Usagi

I think I got a bit carried away with my list, but I don't think it's completly unreasonable.

@MnSG: I'll come back later, when I get a better understanding of Victini and Zoroark.

Well for at least Plusle & Minun and Balloon Fighter it has some basis. P&L was supposedly part of the forbidden 7 and Balloon Fighter from what I heard was going to be in Melee.

As for Mr. Resetti, yeah I even edited my post to say it being a stretch, I don't blame you for thinking that

Also I had Krystal twice in my list and now I probably should add one more now that I only have 18 out of 19 out but it's tricky work thinking of only one more reasonable character.

Here's my list

Mario
Toad
Waluigi
Bowser Jr.

DK
Dixie Kong (inb4peopleaskwhy)
King K. Rool

Metroid
Ridley

Yoshi
Baby Mario and Luigi

Pokemon
Zoroark
Snivy
Cyndaquil
Gallade

F-Zero
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow

Earthbound
Paula

Others
Little Mac
Saki
Starfy

Third Party
Mega Man
Pac-Man (pipe dreams yay)

Return from Melee
Mewtwo
Roy

Edit: replaced Dixie and Pac-Man with Saki and Starfy

The following is the roster that I posted on 6/8/2011 at the Smash Boards...

Super Mario
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

The Legend of Zelda
Link
Zelda / Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link

Metroid
Samus / Zero Suit Samus
Ridley

Yoshi
Yoshi

Kirby
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Star Fox
Fox McCloud
Falco Lombardi
Wolf O'Donnell
Leon Powalski

Pokemon
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer (Oshawott, Servine, Emboar)
Zoroark

F-Zero
Captain Falcon
Samurai Goroh
Black Shadow

EarthBound / Mother
Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem
Marth
Ike

Kid Icarus
Pit

Wario
Wario

Pikmin
Olimar

Golden Sun
Isaac

Sin and Punishment
Saki

The Legendary Starfy
Starfy

Nintendo Classics
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch
R.O.B.
Bubbles
Eggplant Man
Takamaru

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic
Tails

Final Fantasy
White Mage
Black Mage

The names that I placed a strike-through on are fillers.

Below is an image of the roster, but it doesn't include transformations, fillers, nor the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon.

ssb4rosternofiller.png

MnSG said:
I like this. The only thing I would do differently is have Little Mac instead of Takamaru. I also like the addition of Leon. Interesting choice.

Also, I don't want Lucario to be removed. He was my favorite fighter in Brawl.

I'm not joking.

Smasher 101 said:
Also, I don't want Lucario to be removed. He was my favorite fighter in Brawl.

I'm not joking.

I don't think you have to worry about that. For this thread in at regarding the article's roster. He made his 19 new character list assuming all Brawl characters returned.

Lucario is probably going to stay, regarding his popularity as a 4th generation Pokemon

But I don't think Birdo is gonna make it in before Waluigi, Bowser Jr., and Toad

Now that people are posting their suggestions, I might do that as well...

Super Mario
Paper Mario
Toad
Bowser Jr.

Donkey Kong
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

Yoshi
Baby Mario & Baby Luigi

Metroid
Ridley

Pokémon
Blaziken
Zoroark
N

Punch Out!!
Little Mac

Third-Party
Mega Man
Someone from Final Fantasy

I may edit this when I have more ideas.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for N's Pokémon, feel free to post them.

EDIT: Added Blaziken. Hoenn shouldn't be ignored. :<

Why no one suggested Hoenn Pokemon?

I think people like Paper Mario and Yarn Kirby should just be alternate costumes.

Some of these people would probably be better suited for assist characters.

They should add a Dragon Quest character though, that'd be cool.

A Golden Sun character would be cool too. Not for me, but for others out there

'3K said:
King Hippo would be cool, but we'd need Little Mac first.
The more I think about it, I'd rather have Bald Bull than King Hippo. Mac still needs to come first, though.

You know what I thought of that'd make a neat obscure Assist Trophy? Cubivore

I missed real Smash talk so much, I can't wait until things really get ramped up after we start getting more info on SSB4 :]

Balloon Fighter? Sounds better as an Assist Trophy to me.

I doubt Lucario will stay, they'll just toss him like they did to Mewtwo and replace him with Zoroark. Which is by no means a poor choice, but it would be nice if they would actually save the people from last game.

More third party characters would be nice, especially Geno, but I doubt Square Enix will send him instead of a Final Fantasy character.

It would be amazing if they made the Pokemon Trainer have access to all 649 Pokemon and you could choose three, but it is really unlikely that that will happen.

Meta Knight must not be nerfed. They simply need to make everyone else better.

Back